The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

The Official Ask Aston Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pengi
Hi, what are credits? I've seen them mentioned but I can't find anything about it on your website, and the fact that I was looking at the take a free language in your first year and under entry requirements and fees is:

"Number of Aston credits: 10 "

Please can you explain? Thanks.

Also, do you have the figures for number of students applying & number of places for Business and Management, or if not that specific then overall for September 2015 start.

Also again, do CI/IOM students have a placement year (as non-eu don't) & pay normal fees?

Hi there,

Credits are used as a weighting towards a minimum number you need to move onto the next year of study, usually 120. They also denote to the length and importance of the module. Modules over two teaching terms will be 20 and something like your dissertation can amount to 40 credits. Most modules however are 10.

I cannot give you an exact number for the number of applications relating to each specific course, as i do not work in the admissions department. However my knowledge is that in general this year we have had a record number 15,000+. However with government caps taken off student numbers this year, there may also be more places to compliment this.

From the information i have it does look as though Channel Islands and Isle Of Man students are counted as international students, however i would advise contacting out international department to check your status and gain a decisive answer at [email protected]
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
when do you start applying for the language course? im starting sept 2015
Original post by chukster97
when do you start applying for the language course? im starting sept 2015

Apologies, i don't have the exact information to hand at the moment. However i suggest sending an email to: [email protected] they should be able to help you.

Anything else just give me a shout.

Josh :smile:
Hey, I am an International student and wanted to know about accommodation on lakeside. According to the Aston accommodation website we have to pay rents in breakdown term system. I just wanted to know that after paying full rent for the first term and living on campus for the first term though can I terminate my contract to move off campus before 2nd term begins ?.
Original post by aquibbashir
Hey, I am an International student and wanted to know about accommodation on lakeside. According to the Aston accommodation website we have to pay rents in breakdown term system. I just wanted to know that after paying full rent for the first term and living on campus for the first term though can I terminate my contract to move off campus before 2nd term begins ?.

Hi there,

That's a very good question. I believe you are able to do so, but you will lose any sort of deposit you have paid. However i would clarify with [email protected] just to make sure. Hopefully you will get a swift reply.
Original post by Aston University
Apologies, i don't have the exact information to hand at the moment. However i suggest sending an email to: [email protected] they should be able to help you.

Anything else just give me a shout.

Josh :smile:

I emailed them 3 weeks ago but didn't receive a reply. Any help?
Original post by Moonschool
I emailed them 3 weeks ago but didn't receive a reply. Any help?

That's very disappointing to hear, in that case i would contact Serash directly, she's the administrator for Languages For All.

Try sending an email to: [email protected]
Any ideas when accommo offers will be sent out? still not received mine.
Original post by Kieran7333
Any ideas when accommo offers will be sent out? still not received mine.

Hi Kieran,

Best thing to do is contact accommodation via [email protected] they should be able to talk you through the status of your current application.

Josh
Hello, does Aston accept the IFS Certificate in Financial Studies in conjunction with the Diploma as an A level for entry? thanks in advance.
Original post by Jakecarley
Hello, does Aston accept the IFS Certificate in Financial Studies in conjunction with the Diploma as an A level for entry? thanks in advance.

Hi Jake,

Whether that qualification counts towards entry will be dependent on the course you wish to study here. If you let me know i can direct you to the correct email address for that admissions team; whom should be able to give you an answer.

Josh
Hi, how did you go about paying the deposit? I keep on encountering an error :frown:

Original post by awesomearps
Original post by ZahraD123
Hi, how did you go about paying the deposit? I keep on encountering an error :frown:

Oh wow that was some time ago for me haha...best thing to do would be to ring up the accommodation office, they'd definitely be more help than me :smile:
Any questions about uni life or anything then quote me or send me a message :smile:
I'm a first year pharmacy student :smile:
Original post by awesomearps
Oh wow that was some time ago for me haha...best thing to do would be to ring up the accommodation office, they'd definitely be more help than me :smile:

Hey Awesomearps,

Cheers for being helpful, i solved Zahara's problem through a private message, but suffice to say, anyone dealing with the same problem; contact the accommodation office, either by phone or email: [email protected]
Reply 195
Hello, i have just applied to aston for the msc program in pharmacology.
I have also applied to reading. Which one do you guys recommend ?
I also want to know what happens if i fail a module during my msc
Note: im an international student
Original post by Wajdk
Hello, i have just applied to aston for the msc program in pharmacology.
I have also applied to reading. Which one do you guys recommend ?
I also want to know what happens if i fail a module during my msc
Note: im an international student

Fantastic to hear you've applied to us. :smile:

Obviously, we are going to say choose us over Reading, you can see here. We are ranked 9 places above Reading, for Pharmacy and Pharmacology subjects.

I believe the process of failing on a masters level course is the same as failing an undergraduate level course here; if you fail one module by 2% or less you are eligible for condonement, which bumps the result up to the bare minimum passing grade.

If you fail more than one module or by more than 2% you take reffered exams; which are capped at the minimum pass mark, so 50% at masters. However there is a lot of a support on hand to make sure you don't fail. Module leaders, personal tutors, the library and so on are all willing to pitch in a hand.

However i would just double check with the admissions team for the course you have applied to at: [email protected]

Also, i think as an international student you will have an awesome time at Aston. We have a large number of international students, who really enjoy the smaller communal focused campus, where you're more likely to meet people outside your course, many of my international friends have told me they loved creating a network with the friendships they made here, feeling they knew someone if they ever wanted to travel to a particular country.

If you have any more questions about the course, Aston or Birmingham i'm a 2014 graduate and a Birmingham local now working for the university and more than happy to help.

Hope to see you in October. :smile:

Josh
hi, does anyone have some pictures of what the 5 bed accommodation looks like
Original post by Raj_B961
hi, does anyone have some pictures of what the 5 bed accommodation looks like

Here you are ^^

Posted from TSR Mobile
just wanted to ask, i put down my 3 choices for accommodation, but accidentally put them in the wrong order, is there anyway i can change that?

Quick Reply

Latest