The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

The Official Ask Aston Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thequackingduck
Hi my student finance (maintenance grant) says approved since the 15th and this means that SLC are waiting for the university to confirm my attendance. I'm just wondering why it's taking so long since it's been weeks since the enrolment. Thank you.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Hi,

If you have attended enrollment you should be registered. Unfortunately there is nothing i can do to help you. However i would go to the hub, they deal with issues like this all the time, they will be able to check with registry and see if the problem is our end or give you advice on chasing SLC.

Good luck!
Josh
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Original post by Aston University
Hi,

If you have attended enrollment you should be registered. Unfortunately there is nothing i can do to help you. However i would go to the hub, they deal with issues like this all the time, they will be able to check with registry and see if the problem is our end or give you advice on chasing SLC.

Good luck!
Josh

Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Are there water fountains anywhere in the library/main building? I've been meaning to find one because I drink a lot of water.
Original post by Hugs31
Are there water fountains anywhere in the library/main building? I've been meaning to find one because I drink a lot of water.

There should be a water cooler located by the main staircase in the library, additionally a number of bathrooms in the university should have a tap which you can drink from and isn't just for handwashing.

Stay hydrated my friend. :smile:
I want to apply for Politics and Business and the entry requirements say ABB-BBB, I am currently targeted BBB will I get an offer from your university and for what grades?
Aston University is my first choice and I've heard that a small number of applicants are given unconditional offers.
I have applied to do Pharmacy and have AAA predicted grades (the entry requirement is ABB-AAB). I was wondering how many unconditional offers are usually given out in the Pharmacy Department or just generally in the whole university.
I really love Aston and an unconditional offer would be AMAZING!!!
Thankyou :smile:
Original post by sam1793
I want to apply for Politics and Business and the entry requirements say ABB-BBB, I am currently targeted BBB will I get an offer from your university and for what grades?

Hi,

Unfortunately i can't give you as solid an answer as the actual admissions team for that course can: [email protected]

However on speculation, i can say you have a high likelihood of being made an offer, hitting the minimum requirements and applying to a course such as Politics and Business, which often goes into clearing, rather than being over subscribed.

Josh
Original post by rochiejones
Aston University is my first choice and I've heard that a small number of applicants are given unconditional offers.
I have applied to do Pharmacy and have AAA predicted grades (the entry requirement is ABB-AAB). I was wondering how many unconditional offers are usually given out in the Pharmacy Department or just generally in the whole university.
I really love Aston and an unconditional offer would be AMAZING!!!
Thankyou :smile:

Hi,

Unfortunately i can't shed much light on this as i'm located in central marketing rather than the LHS admissions team, they'll probably be able to give you more clarity on the subject: [email protected]

I would presume being such a high caliber applicant with AAA predicted grades, you will most likely receive an unconditional offer, if they're being made to those with pending results.

Best of luck!

Josh
Original post by Aston University
Hi,

Unfortunately i can't give you as solid an answer as the actual admissions team for that course can: [email protected]

However on speculation, i can say you have a high likelihood of being made an offer, hitting the minimum requirements and applying to a course such as Politics and Business, which often goes into clearing, rather than being over subscribed.

Josh

thanks for the reply josh,what grade was it in clearing for last year?
Original post by sam1793
thanks for the reply josh,what grade was it in clearing for last year?

If memory serves correctly, applicants were being accepted at BBC during clearing last year. :smile:

Josh
Hi, do aston allow transfers for entry onto psychology year 2?? and do you know the requirements for transferring? (i have 320 ucas points)
Reply 591
why are applicants who are applying for medicine as well as optometry rejected for optometry at Aston university. optometry also links in with medicine!
Original post by thestars
Hi, do aston allow transfers for entry onto psychology year 2?? and do you know the requirements for transferring? (i have 320 ucas points)

Hi,

We do allow transfers, all transfer requirements are made in an individual offer from the associated admissions department. Sending an email to [email protected] should get the ball rolling. :smile:

Josh
Original post by Roxxyy
why are applicants who are applying for medicine as well as optometry rejected for optometry at Aston university. optometry also links in with medicine!

Hi,

I can only play with speculation rather than give you any sort of comprehensive answer here, but applying for two different courses on your UCAS application tends to raise a number of red flags in admissions departments.

Contacting [email protected] is more likely to give you a solid answer.

Josh
Hi, I was just wondering whether there is any chance of me getting onto the accountancy course with a GCSE Maths grade C. Is it worth applying for Aston University? I was an EBACC student at GCSE level and I got 11 GCSEs including a B in English.
Hi everyone! First of all i am from Bulgaria and i am seriously considering applying to Aston University . The course that i want to study is International Business with Spanish. If there is someone here who is studying this course i would greatly appreciate it if he/she tells me details about the course (I mean those kind of details you can only know about if you are a currently studying the course). And i also want to ask anyone here who is studying in Aston, how much does accommodation, food and etc. cost. Also is it hard to work and study there and what kind of jobs can i find so i can work and study at the same time, how expensive is the public transport. What do people in Birmingham think about Bulgarians because most people in the UK don't like us . Basically i want to know every bit of information that i can get only if i am in the city myself. Thanks!
Original post by snakebite25
Hi, I was just wondering whether there is any chance of me getting onto the accountancy course with a GCSE Maths grade C. Is it worth applying for Aston University? I was an EBACC student at GCSE level and I got 11 GCSEs including a B in English.

Sorry for the slow reply Snakebite, your best course of action is to talk to the admissions team associated with our accountancy course, you can submit a question on the course page which will go directly to the admissions team.

They should get back to you fairly quickly and be able to give you a more solid answer than me talking in hypotheticals. I hope that helps. :smile:

Josh
Original post by fadster123
Hi everyone! First of all i am from Bulgaria and i am seriously considering applying to Aston University . The course that i want to study is International Business with Spanish. If there is someone here who is studying this course i would greatly appreciate it if he/she tells me details about the course (I mean those kind of details you can only know about if you are a currently studying the course). And i also want to ask anyone here who is studying in Aston, how much does accommodation, food and etc. cost. Also is it hard to work and study there and what kind of jobs can i find so i can work and study at the same time, how expensive is the public transport. What do people in Birmingham think about Bulgarians because most people in the UK don't like us . Basically i want to know every bit of information that i can get only if i am in the city myself. Thanks!

Hi Fadster,

Unfortunately i studied a Psychology & Sociology degree before working here, so i can't tell you much about the course, but as an Aston graduate now an Aston employee, i can clear up a number of questions for you:

Accommodation

Our on campus accommodation has variable rates, depending on if you wish to live in one of the newer buildings or the slightly older lakeside accommodation. You can find a full breakdown of rent per week here.

Food

Food prices in the UK vary depending on where you shop and to what quality you shop to give you a rough idea, a bottle of milk depending on size can cost anywhere between 45p to £1.50. A loaf of bread is similar.

Jobs

There is normally plenty of part time work to be found, either within the university itself or the surrounding areas a number of bars in the local area have a yearly student turnover where final years graduate and leave vacant roles. Additionally the students union has a job shop and our excellent careers service will be on hand for you.

Public Transport

The price of a single adult bus ticket is between £1.80 and £2.20 depending on which company you travel with. Trains are slightly cheaper for a short hop, but fluctuate the further you wish to travel.

Fitting In

I think you'll find Aston a fantastic place to settle down, there is a fantastic Bulgarian community on campus. I made a number of Bulgarian friends whilst In my final year and had a wonderful BBQ with them at Aston Brook Green a few summers ago, fantastic drinkers, not so good at cooking meat. I had to step in. :wink:

If you have any more questions i graduated in 2014 and have lived in Birmingham all my life, so feel free to give me a shout. :smile:

Josh
HI, the term dates for Aston don't show any half-term breaks. Do all three terms run straight through without a break? If there are breaks, where can I find the dates?

Thanks. :smile:
Original post by kaiserschmarrn
HI, the term dates for Aston don't show any half-term breaks. Do all three terms run straight through without a break? If there are breaks, where can I find the dates?

Thanks. :smile:

Hi,

The three terms generally do tend to run straight through, with the main breaks between them, however Terms 1 & 2 will include a reading week for many subjects, allowing for a week of free study, many students choose to visit home during this time.

Additionally term three only has two teaching weeks, which are usually the first two, then there remainder will be filled with revision and examinations, many students choose to travel home for the revision period.

You'll find that you don't have lectures every day of the week either, the timetable will be really flexible for you.

anymore questions just give me a shout.

Josh

Quick Reply

Latest