The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

The Official Ask Aston Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by amsjsheb
Hi, i have a conditional offer for IBML french and spanish for BBB (as I confirmed Aston as my firm choice). I applied last year and didn't get a place so I am resitting everything, but I'm worried the grades still won't be good enough. How popular is this course/ how likely is it that there will be leniency in the grades? Thanks

Hi,

Our business school courses are some of the most popular, however it looks that like last year all of our courses will enter clearing and there will be some leniency in entry requirements. The level of leniency however will depend on a number of factors that we can't predict.

Great work on going back to take your A Levels again, i did the same thing too before coming to Aston and it takes a lot of character and determination.

Good luck in your exams

Josh
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Thank you so much for the quick response- you have put my mind at ease! And thankyou, I'm glad it worked out for you!

Original post by Aston University
Hi,

Our business school courses are some of the most popular, however it looks that like last year all of our courses will enter clearing and there will be some leniency in entry requirements. The level of leniency however will depend on a number of factors that we can't predict.

Great work on going back to take your A Levels again, i did the same thing too before coming to Aston and it takes a lot of character and determination.

Good luck in your exams

Josh
Hi ild really like to attend aston to study economics and management undergrad, however I don't know if I'll meet the grade requirements! I feel like I'll achieve BCD I really need BBB 😭 will I be rejected ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cathartic
Hi ild really like to attend aston to study economics and management undergrad, however I don't know if I'll meet the grade requirements! I feel like I'll achieve BCD I really need BBB 😭 will I be rejected ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi,

Really sorry, i didn't notice this. I normally reply far faster. There normally is some flexibility in our entry requirements as with every other university. How much leiniency depends ona number of factors, some of which we don't know until results day. BCD might be a little bit of a stretch, but my advice would be not to worry and try not to think about it at this point. A great quote that has stuck out in my mind was "I've spent my whole life worrying about things, most of which never happened."

If you want to be prepared, i would suggest scouting out some possible clearing universities in the case you fall short and can get through on the phone lines quicker.

I'm sure you'll be fine, good luck in August! :smile:

Josh
Hello, So i recently completed my extended national diploma, and received my certificates yesterday, to D*D*D*, what would you suggest as the next step that I should take? Should I contact the uni myself informing them of this or would it be better to leave it until the start date?
Original post by KvnG.
Hi i firmed aston for electronic and electrical engineering and got offer BBB but i think i may end up with BCC. Do you think they'll be lenient and give me and unconditional offer ?

Hi,
There usually is some leniency in our entry requirements, however the amount of leniency is effected by a number of variables, many of which we don't know until results day ourselves. Entry requirements for Electronic and Electrical Engineering have gone to BCC historically in the past, but I cannot guarantee this will happen every year.

My advice is not to worry about it, I know it’s easier said than done, but now is the time to start a new series on Netflix to take your mind off it. :wink:

Josh
Original post by LaurenceC
Hello, So i recently completed my extended national diploma, and received my certificates yesterday, to D*D*D*, what would you suggest as the next step that I should take? Should I contact the uni myself informing them of this or would it be better to leave it until the start date?

Hi Laurence,

Did you apply to us via UCAS? If so our admissions teams should have recieved your grades already.

Josh
Hi Laurence,

Did you apply to us via UCAS? If so our admissions teams should have recieved your grades already.

Josh

ah i see, yes i did
Original post by LaurenceC
ah i see, yes i did

Nothing to worry about in that case then. You should hopefully hear from our admissions teams soon. Congratulations on your results.

Josh
Hello, I just wanted to find out a few thing about your placement year for the Psychology and Business course. How do you place your students for the optional placement year? Are they usually paid during this period of time in their various work places?
Original post by strontium-
Hello, I just wanted to find out a few thing about your placement year for the Psychology and Business course. How do you place your students for the optional placement year? Are they usually paid during this period of time in their various work places?

Hi,

As with all our courses, the placement year is something our students seek out, rather than us directly placing them into one. They benefit from our Careers + Placements team and years of employer partnerships.

Most placement years are paid if you follow the business side of your degree, however psychology placements tend to work on a more voluntary basis.

Hope that helps

Josh
Hi,

As with all our courses, the placement year is something our students seek out, rather than us directly placing them into one. They benefit from our Careers + Placements team and years of employer partnerships.

Most placement years are paid if you follow the business side of your degree, however psychology placements tend to work on a more voluntary basis.

Hope that helps

Josh

thank you so much.
as
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by suitable
I'm in the second year on a course with a compulsory placement. I passed this year with good results but despite having applied for over 100 placement roles i've only had 3 phone interviews and nothing else in terms of getting a placement. What exactly happens if I don't get a placement? Do i just have to leave? Do i have to take a year out and apply for them again?

Hi,

Your best course of action will be to talk to our Careers + Placements team, they will be able to advise you on how to increase your chances of securing a placement. Many students don't secure one until September, so don't give up hope just yet.

If you're struggling they may also be able to source you an internal placement working with one of the teams in the university.

You've got plenty of time left, but get in touch now.

Josh
Hi how low did aston drop their grades for clearing last year for economics and management? I have an offer for BBB but I'm really worried that I won't meet this I feel like I may achieve BDD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cathartic
Hi how low did aston drop their grades for clearing last year for economics and management? I have an offer for BBB but I'm really worried that I won't meet this I feel like I may achieve BDD

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi,

Historically, our entry requirements have not dropped below BCC for any course. Honestly, don't worry and second guess yourself at this point. Your exams are done hopefully. Take some time to relax and deal with it on results day.

Good luck!
Josh
Reply 916
Hi, 1) What was logistics with supply chain management clearing at last year and where can I get some pre-reading materials on the course ?2) What's the reason for Aston's huge drop on all the league tables this year ?
Original post by 99ryfu
Hi, 1) What was logistics with supply chain management clearing at last year and where can I get some pre-reading materials on the course ?2) What's the reason for Aston's huge drop on all the league tables this year ?

Hi,

1) Logistics with Supply Chain Management dropped to BCC last year if i recall correctly. Obviously this is subject to change every year due to a multitude of factos.

2) Our drop in the league tables has been attributed to staff student ratios, with us recruiting more students each year. We have switfly addressed this and ran a massive recruitment campaign to bolster our number of staff. We hope this will give us a big boost in next years league ranking tables.

We were also awarded TEF Gold for our teaching quality this year and scored 89% in the NSS, so despite our staff student ratios, we are still providing a fantastic experience for our students.

Hope that helps

Josh
Hi, do aston allow us to use voice recorders for lectures? Do you recommend purchasing one? Or does the Uni already have something like this in place so i dont have? (eg recording lectures themselves)
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by yellowDaisy77
Hi, do aston allow us to use voice recorders for lectures? Do you recommend purchasing one? Or does the Uni already have something like this in place so i dont have? (eg recording lectures themselves)

Hi,

You should be able to use voice recorders during your lectures, perhaps just ask you lecturer out of courtesy.

We also have the panopto system in place, which should capture the majority of your lectures in video format along with the lecturer’s slides. Additionally if you require further support our disability team offers supplementary note taking services.

Hope that helps

Josh
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest