Acius1106
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hey guys I asked this question a while ago but didn't receive that many replies so thought to ask again.

Basically in the AS History exam there was a question, "How successful was US policy in South-East Asia in the 1950s"

So what I did was base half my answer on the successes and failures in Vietnam (Vietnam war) and half my answer on the successes and failures of Korea (Korean War)

However.... Korea's not considered South East Asia, right? Instead isn't Korea officially classified as East Asia?

If so, then half my answer's wrong and I can get only up to a C...

Or do you think there's a possibility of my answer being valid in regards to the question?
Acius1106
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Ahh got it thank you that relieves me massively.

Yeahh that's what I talked about, because there really isn't much to talk about in regards to Vietnam, since not much happened in the 1950s, just Geneva and Dien Bien Phu mainly.

And Korean War my 2 paragraphs were loaded since entire Korean War took place between 1950-1954.

Did anyone else structure their answer similar to mine?
HistoryTeacher
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but unfortunately Edexcel do not reward material about the Korean War for questions about South East Asia.

"Students thus need to be reminded that Korea is not in south-east Asia, nor indeed is Japan. A large number of answers to Question 11 referred to one or both these countries. While students were given some credit for material on Korea, such material is unlikely to be relevant in the future." (June 2010 examiners report)

It may not be quite as disastrous as it sounds. I know of a student that still ended up with an A (lower UMS than expected though) after a similar sort of mistake despite being convinced she had failed completely .
HistoryTeacher
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think that you are to an extent right that it could seem logical to assume that the wider context of Korea could be useful but the key point is that it doesn't directly answer the question. In 2010 when this issue first came up Edexcel were lenient in the marking of answers that included Korea however they did make it clear in the examiners report that year that in future material concerning Korea would not be credited. It really is up to schools then to ensure that they make this distinction clear to their students. The first lesson I teach for that topic includes zoning the countries of Asia so that everyone is very clear about the East Asia/South East Asia distinction (I also remind students about it constantly). It is unfortunate that some students still aren't getting this advice.
AndrewGrace
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by HistoryTeacher)
I think that you are to an extent right that it could seem logical to assume that the wider context of Korea could be useful but the key point is that it doesn't directly answer the question. In 2010 when this issue first came up Edexcel were lenient in the marking of answers that included Korea however they did make it clear in the examiners report that year that in future material concerning Korea would not be credited. It really is up to schools then to ensure that they make this distinction clear to their students. The first lesson I teach for that topic includes zoning the countries of Asia so that everyone is very clear about the East Asia/South East Asia distinction (I also remind students about it constantly). It is unfortunate that some students still aren't getting this advice.
Absolutely, in the context of the question it is incorrect and given that leniency was awarded in 2010, i can see why it will not be given this time around. For the OP and others it is unfortunate that this information wasn't given, this is the perfect example as to why i believe (and i'm sure others do as well) that alongside revision of content + past exam Qs, students should spent time reading through the examiners reports. In terms of your first lesson, i like that as it removes any ambiguity from the beginning.

I must apologise as i removed my comments to the OP as they were technically incorrect and accidentally removed my reply to your post
HistoryTeacher
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by AndrewGrace)
Absolutely, in the context of the question it is incorrect and given that leniency was awarded in 2010, i can see why it will not be given this time around. For the OP and others it is unfortunate that this information wasn't given, this is the perfect example as to why i believe (and i'm sure others do as well) that alongside revision of content + past exam Qs, students should spent time reading through the examiners reports. In terms of your first lesson, i like that as it removes any ambiguity from the beginning.

I must apologise as i removed my comments to the OP as they were technically incorrect and accidentally removed my reply to your post

No worries.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (168)
14.62%
I'm not sure (53)
4.61%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (338)
29.42%
I have already dropped out (34)
2.96%
I'm not a current university student (556)
48.39%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed