ella0610
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I'm really struggling to write a personal statement right now because I'm applying for both History courses and Politics courses. I'm trying to mention both but I'm worried universities will think I'm a lunatic for going off about Politics when I'm applying for History and vice versa.
Any help will be appreciated!
Monkeycheckbook
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I had the same problem when I had to write mine. What you could do is simultaneously talk about both subjects by finding the link between them. So when talking about your interest in history, talk about political history and implications it has on politics today (and how anything today is a influenced by events in history), or when talking about your interest in politics, again talk about what we can learn from historical politics and how today's society etc. has been influenced. I know it's hard!
Oscar Goldsmith
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Finding a link between the two subjects may be the way to go. However if you are finding that the subjects are too different and therefore near imposible to write a personal statement on both, perhaps think about either applying for a joint honours degree, where you would naturally be studying both courses, or you could come to realise that you only want to apply for one of the course titles. Out of curiosty why do you want to apply for different courses? I currently writing a personal statement for joint honours in economics and geography and like you was at first stuck on how to write one statement on courses which have many similarities but obviously have their differences.
~ Aquamarine ~
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I applied for a mixture of Politics/History & politics courses and is best to just find a link between both subjects. I spoke about my interest in Politics and how it came from studying Political History. Try not to talk about history in one paragraph and politics in another.

Maybe you would like to have a look at:
The Personal Statement Library
Writing your personal statement guide
Personal Statement Help Service

Good luck with your Personal Statement
ella0610
Rep:
?
(Original post by Monkeycheckbook)
I had the same problem when I had to write mine. What you could do is simultaneously talk about both subjects by finding the link between them. So when talking about your interest in history, talk about political history and implications it has on politics today (and how anything today is a influenced by events in history), or when talking about your interest in politics, again talk about what we can learn from historical politics and how today's society etc. has been influenced. I know it's hard!
Thank you so much, I found this really helpful!
ella0610
Rep:
?
(Original post by ~ Aquamarine ~)
I applied for a mixture of Politics/History & politics courses and is best to just find a link between both subjects. I spoke about my interest in Politics and how it came from studying Political History. Try not to talk about history in one paragraph and politics in another.

Maybe you would like to have a look at:
The Personal Statement Library
Writing your personal statement guide
Personal Statement Help Service

Good luck with your Personal Statement
Thank you
ella0610
Rep:
?
(Original post by Oscar Goldsmith)
Finding a link between the two subjects may be the way to go. However if you are finding that the subjects are too different and therefore near imposible to write a personal statement on both, perhaps think about either applying for a joint honours degree, where you would naturally be studying both courses, or you could come to realise that you only want to apply for one of the course titles. Out of curiosty why do you want to apply for different courses? I currently writing a personal statement for joint honours in economics and geography and like you was at first stuck on how to write one statement on courses which have many similarities but obviously have their differences.
Politics and History aren't too different, I'm just struggling on how to phrase interest in both!
I want to apply for different courses because at some of the Unis I've looked at I really love the History course, and at others the Politics and International Relations course looks amazing!
Good luck with your personal statement.
Bunny2014
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think maybe wait for your results then make a decision

good luck
K1996s
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
A friend of mine applied for both and they used content about the post war consensus and the British empire etc. Both subjects go together nicely so the admissions officer wont think its strange at all that youre applying for both
Oscar Goldsmith
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ella0610)
Politics and History aren't too different, I'm just struggling on how to phrase interest in both!
I want to apply for different courses because at some of the Unis I've looked at I really love the History course, and at others the Politics and International Relations course looks amazing!
Good luck with your personal statement.
My advice would be to use what you just said to me! Heavily relate to course content in your personal statement by linking specific parts to things you have done.
Thank you! And to you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (4)
8.16%
I need help researching courses (4)
8.16%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
6.12%
I need help with my personal statement (24)
48.98%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (10)
20.41%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (1)
2.04%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
6.12%

Watched Threads