Turn on thread page Beta

war studies BA :what does it translate to? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    if i do war studies at kings.......what kind of career options would there be? preferably, at an international level.

plus....is it a mickey mouse subject?

thanks, i'm really worried.

ReputationRep:
    What does that involve? Is it just studying the history of wars?

You might be able to do something in international security...King's is well respected after all.

ReputationRep:
    I think there's a certain stigma when it comes to 'studies' being in any course title; but looking beond that, the course seems very academic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gangrene)
    if i do war studies at kings.......what kind of career options would there be? preferably, at an international level.

I doubt it would be any different to someone who did just straight History at Kings.

ReputationRep:

An Admiral? A General? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    That's strange, I've just seen a notice for "Peace Studies" at the University of Bradford. No doubt they will have one at your chosen university as well.

The question posed is thus: Do the departments fight?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    That's strange, I've just seen a notice for "Peace Studies" at the University of Bradford. No doubt they will have one at your chosen university as well.

The question posed is thus: Do the departments fight?
    If they do, my money's on the war studies students to win.

ReputationRep:
    They may win the war against hippies. But they'll never destroy the urge for peace.

(Original post by 2776)
    They may win the war against hippies. But they'll never destroy the urge for peace.
    Life is about growth, expansion, conflict, power. Peace is a polite term for non-growth. It is anti-life, decadence, death.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sanctus)
    Life is about growth, expansion, conflict, power. Peace is a polite term for non-growth. It is anti-life, decadence, death.
    Define life. Whose life? Define death. Whose death?

How can the world grow/expand by having wars? Its going to still stay the same mass.

ReputationRep:
    Peace is only acceptable when the final, absolute, hegelian dialectic has been achieved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Define life. Whose life? Define death. Whose death?

How can the world grow/expand by having wars? Its going to still stay the same mass.
    And who's morals are we talking about here.......erm........... :rolleyes:

(Original post by Lepr)
    Peace is only acceptable when the final, absolute, hegelian dialectic has been achieved.
    But perhaps "peace" and "war" are a polarity to be unified into a higher synthesis and thereby transcended?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lepr)
    Too bloody right.

ReputationRep:
    hahhaha you guys crack me up. you're all very interesting.

so....the bottom line is.....i've always wanted to do sth in the UN.......

think i got a chance if i get a first?

ReputationRep:
    But perhaps "peace" and "war" are a polarity to be unified and thereby to be transcended into a higher synthesis?

I wasn't necessarily referring to peace as an antithesis to war; rather, the final synthesis will invariably be 'peaceful', i.e. tranquil, subdued, calm.

ReputationRep:
    hahhaha you guys crack me up. you're all very interesting.

so....the bottom line is.....i've always wanted to do sth in the UN.......

think i got a chance if i get a first?
    To be a politician or a soldier?

ReputationRep:
    politician for sure...

maybe sth in the diplomat/ambassador area too

(Original post by Lepr)
    I wasn't necessarily referring to peace as an antithesis to war; rather, the final synthesis will invariably be 'peaceful', i.e. tranquil, subdued, calm.
    But "peaceful" has an opposite too - there is an opposite nature to the nature of tranquillity, calmness etc. If the ultimate union is peaceful then it is not whole. Perhaps even peace is to be transcended, as the Buddhists claim.

But that would veer us into mysticism. If the LSE doesn't tolerate Hegel (British analytical philosophy was founded as a reaction against Hegel) it won't tolerate mysticism either .

ReputationRep:
    politician for sure...

maybe sth in the diplomat/ambassador area too
    Well good luck. I once tried to get into the diplomatic corp fast track scheme. 50 places, 20'000 initial applications.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.