war studies BA :what does it translate to?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
gangrene
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
if i do war studies at kings.......what kind of career options would there be? preferably, at an international level.

plus....is it a mickey mouse subject?

thanks, i'm really worried.
Tek
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
What does that involve? Is it just studying the history of wars?

You might be able to do something in international security...King's is well respected after all.
Lepr
Report 16 years ago
I think there's a certain stigma when it comes to 'studies' being in any course title; but looking beond that, the course seems very academic.
shiny
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by gangrene)
if i do war studies at kings.......what kind of career options would there be? preferably, at an international level.

I doubt it would be any different to someone who did just straight History at Kings.
Howard
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

An Admiral? A General? :rolleyes:
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
That's strange, I've just seen a notice for "Peace Studies" at the University of Bradford. No doubt they will have one at your chosen university as well.

The question posed is thus: Do the departments fight?
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
That's strange, I've just seen a notice for "Peace Studies" at the University of Bradford. No doubt they will have one at your chosen university as well.

The question posed is thus: Do the departments fight?
If they do, my money's on the war studies students to win.
GH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
They may win the war against hippies. But they'll never destroy the urge for peace.
Sanctus
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
They may win the war against hippies. But they'll never destroy the urge for peace.
Life is about growth, expansion, conflict, power. Peace is a polite term for non-growth. It is anti-life, decadence, death.
GH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Sanctus)
Life is about growth, expansion, conflict, power. Peace is a polite term for non-growth. It is anti-life, decadence, death.
Define life. Whose life? Define death. Whose death?

How can the world grow/expand by having wars? Its going to still stay the same mass.
Lepr
Report 16 years ago
Peace is only acceptable when the final, absolute, hegelian dialectic has been achieved.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
Define life. Whose life? Define death. Whose death?

How can the world grow/expand by having wars? Its going to still stay the same mass.
And who's morals are we talking about here.......erm........... :rolleyes:
Sanctus
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Lepr)
Peace is only acceptable when the final, absolute, hegelian dialectic has been achieved.
But perhaps "peace" and "war" are a polarity to be unified into a higher synthesis and thereby transcended?
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Lepr)
Too bloody right.
gangrene
hahhaha you guys crack me up. you're all very interesting.

so....the bottom line is.....i've always wanted to do sth in the UN.......

think i got a chance if i get a first?
Lepr
Report 16 years ago
But perhaps "peace" and "war" are a polarity to be unified and thereby to be transcended into a higher synthesis?

I wasn't necessarily referring to peace as an antithesis to war; rather, the final synthesis will invariably be 'peaceful', i.e. tranquil, subdued, calm.
GH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
hahhaha you guys crack me up. you're all very interesting.

so....the bottom line is.....i've always wanted to do sth in the UN.......

think i got a chance if i get a first?
To be a politician or a soldier?
gangrene
politician for sure...

maybe sth in the diplomat/ambassador area too
Sanctus
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Lepr)
I wasn't necessarily referring to peace as an antithesis to war; rather, the final synthesis will invariably be 'peaceful', i.e. tranquil, subdued, calm.
But "peaceful" has an opposite too - there is an opposite nature to the nature of tranquillity, calmness etc. If the ultimate union is peaceful then it is not whole. Perhaps even peace is to be transcended, as the Buddhists claim.

But that would veer us into mysticism. If the LSE doesn't tolerate Hegel (British analytical philosophy was founded as a reaction against Hegel) it won't tolerate mysticism either .
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
politician for sure...

maybe sth in the diplomat/ambassador area too
Well good luck. I once tried to get into the diplomatic corp fast track scheme. 50 places, 20'000 initial applications.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you do not get the A-level grades you want this summer, what is your likely next step?

Take autumn exams (240)
47.06%
Take exams next summer (69)
13.53%
Change uni choice through clearing (111)
21.76%
Apply to uni next year instead (53)
10.39%
I'm not applying to university (37)
7.25%

Watched Threads