Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i have just chosen my AS/A level courses but im not so sure about them. I've chosen to do:

1.business studies
    2.psychology
    3.law
    4sociology

is this a good mix or should i include more 'academic' subjects like english or history etc? x :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lola.j.)
    i have just chosen my AS/A level courses but im not so sure about them. I've chosen to do:

1.business studies
    2.psychology
    3.law
    4sociology

is this a good mix or should i include more 'academic' subjects like english or history etc? x :confused:
    Depends what you wanna do at uni/which uni you wanna go to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    Depends what you wanna do at uni/which uni you wanna go to.
    either Bristol Uni or Cardiff to do either law or psychology. i'm worried about the courses i've chosen cuz i'v only studied 1 of them b4, the other 3 r all new.

ReputationRep:

1.business studies
    2.psychology
    3.law
    4sociology

If you want to do law or pschy. then It is best to include a language and english subject/history into it.

Rub off business studies and sociology, its not related much. And Law AS is not such a good choice for a University placement.

Check the prospectus of the unis you want to apply to.

ReputationRep:
    either Bristol Uni or Cardiff to do either law or psychology. i'm worried about the courses i've chosen cuz i'v only studied 1 of them b4, the other 3 r all new.
    you won't get into either to do law easily, as you'll be competing against people who have done 3 or 4 academic subjects to a-level and have a whole host of other activities. can i also sugest something like brick laying, which won't require typing/writing skills?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    If you want to do law or pschy. then It is best to include a language and english subject/history into it.

Rub off business studies and sociology, its not related much. And Law AS is not such a good choice for a University placement.

Check the prospectus of the unis you want to apply to.
    how come law isn't much good for uni placements? i've been told that buy loads of people but don't get why? x

ReputationRep:
    From what I've read, Law at A-level is over simplified and uni's prefer to teach it in their own way ect

What are your predicted grades at gcse/what subjects are you good at? It might be easier to make a decision based on what you're good at/enjoy as well as what a uni wants.

ReputationRep:
    how come law isn't much good for uni placements? i've been told that buy loads of people but don't get why? x
    Instead of law AS, do a good 4 week TOTAL Law work experience placement with different law firms and departments

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LS.)
    From what I've read, Law at A-level is over simplified and uni's prefer to teach it in their own way ect

Yeah, the universities like a 'blank slate' so to speak. For law, especially at top unis like Bristol and Cardiff, you want academic subjects - I'd probably recommend English AND History, and I'd certainly abandon Law AS - 2776 is right, they massively prefer a good work placement to show your enthusiasm.

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't French, English, History and Maths be better for Law?

EDIT: English Lit.

ReputationRep:
    do english lit, history, maths and physocolgy - thats what u wanna do

ReputationRep:
    Thanks 2every1 who posted their thoughts on my little worry. I've now decided to drop law + do english instead! hope it pays off! thanks again x

University open days

• University of East Anglia (UEA)
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Secondary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Oct '18
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.