The Student Room Group

To move out or to stay at home...?

Scroll to see replies

I stayed at home for first year and don't regret it at all. Made amazing friends anyway and ended up only being in 2.5 days a week so so not worth it for me to move out.
However, next week I'm moving to Hong Kong for my second year so I knew I'd move out eventually. Just depends what you wanna do!
Reply 21
If i go to Uni this year then i'd be staying at home. Not really into partying and all that.
Original post by jelly1000
I doubt they will mind, at my uni there are thriving religious groups who worship together

well with me, i highly doubt there will be others, being a smaller part of Christianity. but as you said they shouldnt mind and if they did, i shouldn't let that bother me, as its my life and not theres.
Original post by Jay018
well with me, i highly doubt there will be others, being a smaller part of Christianity. but as you said they shouldnt mind and if they did, i shouldn't let that bother me, as its my life and not theres.

You'd be suprised, my uni isn't a particularly big one and they had people arranging weekly visits to a number of different churches
Original post by jelly1000
You'd be suprised, my uni isn't a particularly big one and they had people arranging weekly visits to a number of different churches

Okay, well i guess i should go with an open mind then and if there is others its a bonus, if not i'd just live with it.
Reply 25
Definitely move out, if ur afraid of living with people u don't like, sign for a shoe-term contract accommodation, once u meet some friends u may think about moving out and live with ur friends =)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lauramercier
I stayed at home for first year and don't regret it at all. Made amazing friends anyway and ended up only being in 2.5 days a week so so not worth it for me to move out.
However, next week I'm moving to Hong Kong for my second year so I knew I'd move out eventually. Just depends what you wanna do!

Okay, well i dont know how many days i'd be in, but its something to look at, but at a guess, most of the week, but not sure.
Original post by dan08
If i go to Uni this year then i'd be staying at home. Not really into partying and all that.

Okay, well im not into the partying at all, but still fancying on moving out as it'll help for when i move out for good once ive gotten a stable job after it.
Original post by Fuyuame
Definitely move out, if ur afraid of living with people u don't like, sign for a shoe-term contract accommodation, once u meet some friends u may think about moving out and live with ur friends =)

Posted from TSR Mobile

But the thing is i wouldn't like to be on my own, or with no students. so i guess i should just go with it and see as you never know they might all turn out to be great :smile:
I keep saying that I learnt more about myself and other people than anything else in first year, and I'd say that's mostly because I moved out and lived with a group of people. I needed the chance to be independent and have freedom so I could look after myself and grow up a bit :tongue: For that reason, I'd definitely recommend it.

That said, a lot of people stay at home and don't regret it at all, so I think it depends on what you want out of it. I'd just keep thinking of the pros and cons :smile:
Reply 30
Original post by Jay018
But the thing is i wouldn't like to be on my own, or with no students. so i guess i should just go with it and see as you never know they might all turn out to be great :smile:

Well, I suggest you sign a short-term contrast doesn't mean to live on your own, you may still live with other students..there are a lot of student accommodation choices provided, some may be monthly paid and some might require a whole year contrast..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fuyuame
Well, I suggest you sign a short-term contrast doesn't mean to live on your own, you may still live with other students..there are a lot of student accommodation choices provided, some may be monthly paid and some might require a whole year contrast..

Posted from TSR Mobile

So how would i do that then? and what sort of price would we be looking at? and also what would i need to supply if i do go? or does it all depend on where i go? if so a rough estimate would be great :smile:
Original post by Jay018
Yeah i guess i have, but the main issue holding me back is just thinking about it, and how my anxiety is about it, and I'm a year off going! Was this ever a factor for you? Butt with the food thing, i just imagine being put with slobs and them just taking food, so i guess if we make ground rules it 'shouldn't'appen. But I would have about 60-65 quid a week to get food with, and i might get a small amount of money from my parents too every month but it wouldnt be huge, only amout £40 if that. And as for nice stuff, i would just keep that in my room. But that would be a plus, being in a nice warm and dry dorm room up til the point i would need to leave to get to lectures etc.

Don't make any firm plans now go on a few open days and go ona halls toure remember you are still a year off going it might help you decide what you wan't to go allot of Unis have vertual halls tours see if your uni of choice has one google accommodation your uni
Original post by New- Emperor
Don't make any firm plans now go on a few open days and go ona halls toure remember you are still a year off going it might help you decide what you wan't to go allot of Unis have vertual halls tours see if your uni of choice has one google accommodation your uni

I'm not going to, just trying to get a good idea about it all so I can prepare myself well, as i find that happens to help get over the initial anxiety and fears i have over something. But I sure will go on things like that and see what it is all like, as its hard to tell by just looking at a picture on the internet.
Original post by Jay018
I'm not going to, just trying to get a good idea about it all so I can prepare myself well, as i find that happens to help get over the initial anxiety and fears i have over something. But I sure will go on things like that and see what it is all like, as its hard to tell by just looking at a picture on the internet.

I know right I am just about to go back to collage for uni next year and even though I have done it all befor I could not be more nervous.
I know right I am just about to go back to collage for uni next year and even though I have done it all befor I could not be more nervous.

Okay, cool, makes me feel better knowing that im not alone in that respect :smile: what are you going to study and where do you hope to go to uni?
Definitely move out! I moved into halls in my first year and absolutely loved it! You gain so much knowledge from fending for yourself, before moving out I didn't know how to cook anything but now I can live off my own back (And cook!)

Don't worry about house mates either, during freshers you will bond with them and you'll get along fine! Even if you fall out with one you'll still enjoy it, but I doubt you will, everyone is in the same boat so everyone tends to just get along.

So you just get the full Uni experiences that you wouldn't at home (food fights, had plenty of those in first year!)

Finally you're genuinely independent and by moving out you're allowing yourself to manage your own life (And if **** hits the fan you can always ask the Uni for help!)
Original post by Jay018
Okay, cool, makes me feel better knowing that im not alone in that respect :smile: what are you going to study and where do you hope to go to uni?

I hope to study adult Nursing at Surrey I got to do an access course first so I will be going to uni at about the same time as you.

What about you?
I hope to study adult Nursing at Surrey I got to do an access course first so I will be going to uni at about the same time as you.

What about you?

Sounds good :smile: Surrey aint to far away from me XD and im looking to do an Access course in Teaching to go to probably Winchester, need to look first at Unis though, to do Primary Teaching :smile:
Reply 39
Move out! Nothing tops the experience of leaving home and meeting new people, and you'll make friends quicker. If people can't handle you going to Church on Sunday then they're not the sort of people you want to be with.

Quick Reply

Latest