The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Personally I don't think there is a university course that is best for dyslexic students it completely depends on what you enjoy! As a dyslexic person myself I did a sport science degree then a PGCE and I'm now a qualified teacher. I have other dyslexic friends that have studied law, architecture, engineering, product design, medicine and even english literature!

I suppose its just personal preference and all about doing what you enjoy! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by charloootte2
Which course/subject is most suited to dyslexic students.

Entirly depends because not every (or even two) students with yslexia are exactly the same with exactly the same difficulties and same preferences hen it come to learning and teaching styles.
Original post by charloootte2
Which course/subject is most suited to dyslexic students.

Depends totally on the student, as dyslexic can be everything between "actually he needs no help" to "we are so happy he even got A Levels". So the only advice one can give is to maybe look into the course structure and ask oneself really, wether the job the course leads to suits oneself. (Although ideally every students asked himself those questions, as everyone has different abilities, diagnosed with a disability or not.)
Advice to anyone with any form of educational disadvantage: study what you're passionate about. Ultimately it doesn't matter so much how hard or easy the course is, if you're dedicated and ask for help in the right places you'll get through it. Whereas if you study something you don't particularly care for, there's no motivation to push you when things get tough. So forget about being dyslexic for a minute, decide what you really love studying, and then research the logistics of it after. :smile:
Hi
I think for me personnaly and my friend we realised that generally the more practical the course you are looking into and how much you like/ are passionate about the course, the easier it is to succed in. Also you should look into how much help you will receive from your teachers or university and how open they are towards lerning dificulties as some may help accomodate more for it.
(anyway again personal opinion, hope it helps)
Good luck :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by pym007
Personally I don't think there is a university course that is best for dyslexic students it completely depends on what you enjoy! As a dyslexic person myself I did a sport science degree then a PGCE and I'm now a qualified teacher. I have other dyslexic friends that have studied law, architecture, engineering, product design, medicine and even english literature!

I suppose its just personal preference and all about doing what you enjoy! :smile:

I have dyslexia and in September going to study early childhood studies and wondered how you found the PGCE as I was a bit put of studying it as some say the entry requirements are to hard to achieve and requires high slandered of English.
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest