hawksey
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Afternoon peeps. I have been lucky enough to be given the opportunity at my ripe age of 39 to go back to studying full time. Big thanks to me Mum.

anyway after trawling through the list of available degrees i have narrowed it down to 4 possibles for a years time.

Geography
Environmental Science
Earth & Marine Science
Agriculture

That`s all fine however I have been attempting to find one "Access to HE" that's satisfies any prospective UNIs entry requirements.

There are plenty of pure "Science" ones out there and some "Social Science and Humanities" combos, (however these dont include Geography) There doesn't appear to be a pure "Geography" one anywhere!. However I have just found "Geography/Environmental Science" Access available at Cornwall which ticks the boxes for all 4 of the above.

I think though I am more geared towards Geography at UNI. Not sure.

So question is really.. Is there a pure "geography" access any where in the UK? and how do i find out where any more "Geography/Environmental Science" courses are as Cornwall is a long way from me.

Bit long winded I know and really appreciate some feed back..

Many thanks
MH
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Have you actually asked the unis in question whether they specifically need the geography or geography/environmental science Access course? They may be willing to be flexible if you don't have exactly the right "flavour" of Access course available to you.
hawksey
Rep:
?
hi klix. thanks for the response. ok i spoke with UEA about the Geography BSc. they said that any Access would need a Geography element to it with a certain amount of credits...
Schadenfreude65
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
There were 3 guys on my Access course who now have places for geography or geology. For Access, one did chemistry/physics/maths, one did chemistry/further chemistry/physics and the other did chemistry/biology/physics. If you are not restricted to UEA, and you choose BA Geography (rather than BSc), you may not need to do science subjects, but it will keep your options open if do. Somebody on this forum did an Access course in Poole (I think) that included some kind of Environmental Science.
hawksey
Rep:
?
Thanks for that... basically want to keep my options open... so like I mentioned I found in cornwall geography/environmental sciences access. So they do exsit just how do I find one closer to me?. Essex.. also does geography only exsit?. So also basically if I just wanted to do Ba geography then the social sciences access will be fine.. but options open I rekon. Thanks for your help so far.
Schadenfreude65
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Unfortunately, it's not a very common pathway. A quick search on http://www.accesstohe.ac.uk turned up Writtle College - http://www.writtle.ac.uk/ - which offers a pathway called Land-Based Studies. I guess this is to do with agriculture. I can't see any in Essex offering geography or environmental science, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. I hope you can find something suitable.
MrEFeynman
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by hawksey)
Thanks for that... basically want to keep my options open... so like I mentioned I found in cornwall geography/environmental sciences access. So they do exsit just how do I find one closer to me?. Essex.. also does geography only exsit?. So also basically if I just wanted to do Ba geography then the social sciences access will be fine.. but options open I rekon. Thanks for your help so far.
I am the individual, whom Schadenfreude was referring to. There are people from my course who have gone on to do geography/geology/(marine/wildlife conservation), and many other subjects too.

I studied Physics, Higher Maths, Environmental and Earth Science. The Environmental and Earth Science contained 5 units, the earth and its processes, climate change, sustainability, managing the environment, and another unit which I can't currently recall.

I studied this Access course at Bournemouth & Poole college. Other optional subjects are: Chemistry, and Biology.
hawksey
Rep:
?
This is great stuff and many thanks everyone. ..

So unusual pathway hey... that just about sums up my life to date... anyway. ..

This ia doing my head in. I literally have a couple of days to sort this before the year starts in September..

Ok forget the mixed sciences.. lets say I just decided to go with the geography bsc.. most unis want geography credits.... without doing a OU in exploring science like UEA asked for what access is out there... I am sorry I am asking alot of people but I have been going round in circles for the last few days getting no where and time is running out for me... in the mean time I will look on the access site for the environmental science courses.. many thanks again. Mh
Schadenfreude65
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Have you thought about self-teaching AS Level Geography alongside an Access course? It would be a lot of work - probably only manageable if you don't have much in the way of work and family commitments - but if you could manage, it might satisfy UEA.

You can sign up for an Access course at a local college now, without actually committing yourself immediately. I didn't sort out my 24+ Loan until after I had actually started.
RobertsClan
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Afternoon peeps. I have been lucky enough to be given the opportunity at my ripe age of 39 to go back to studying full time. Big thanks to me Mum.

anyway after trawling through the list of available degrees i have narrowed it down to 4 possibles for a years time.

Geography
Environmental Science
Earth & Marine Science
Agriculture

That`s all fine however I have been attempting to find one "Access to HE" that's satisfies any prospective UNIs entry requirements.

There are plenty of pure "Science" ones out there and some "Social Science and Humanities" combos, (however these dont include Geography) There doesn't appear to be a pure "Geography" one anywhere!. However I have just found "Geography/Environmental Science" Access available at Cornwall which ticks the boxes for all 4 of the above.

I think though I am more geared towards Geography at UNI. Not sure.

So question is really.. Is there a pure "geography" access any where in the UK? and how do i find out where any more "Geography/Environmental Science" courses are as Cornwall is a long way from me.

Bit long winded I know and really appreciate some feed back..

Many thanks
MH
Not sure if this helps but I'm just about to start an Environmental Science degree having just completed Access Science. I was actually directed towards this course by the Uni in the first place because they weren't so concerned about the geography side of things but I needed more recent science experience before I started the course. I already had plenty of UCAS points to get on the course but as it had been over 20 years since I studied science the admissions tutor advices that I complete the Access course at our local college.

Although geography never really interested me at school the geography modules offered on my course really do. Maybe it's an age thing! On the open day I spoke to the head of the geography course and she said the fact I hadn't taken geography at GCSE, so basically hadn't studied any geography for almost 25 years, wasn't a problem. She also told me that she liked to have Access Students in her cohort as she finds them more ready to learn and generally extremely hard working. Another thing she mentioned was that Access student are much more prepared thanks to the nature of the work completed on the course. I definitely agree with this we had to fully Harvard reference everything that we submitted and completed every type of assignment that I can think of including scientific reports, essays, presentations, project work, group essay and presentations, tests, exams and timed closed book essays.

I do think though that the attitude to the Access Course is different depending on where you apply to. I would advise anyone to check with the Uni that you are applying to to see what they expect you to have done. I was surprised at some of the courses that required access science. Conservation was one of those which apparently preferred science due to the types of assignments given rather than other access courses.

Good luck whatever you do and enjoy it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
hawksey
Rep:
?
(Original post by RobertsClan)
Not sure if this helps but I'm just about to start an Environmental Science degree having just completed Access Science. I was actually directed towards this course by the Uni in the first place because they weren't so concerned about the geography side of things but I needed more recent science experience before I started the course. I already had plenty of UCAS points to get on the course but as it had been over 20 years since I studied science the admissions tutor advices that I complete the Access course at our local college.

Although geography never really interested me at school the geography modules offered on my course really do. Maybe it's an age thing! On the open day I spoke to the head of the geography course and she said the fact I hadn't taken geography at GCSE, so basically hadn't studied any geography for almost 25 years, wasn't a problem. She also told me that she liked to have Access Students in her cohort as she finds them more ready to learn and generally extremely hard working. Another thing she mentioned was that Access student are much more prepared thanks to the nature of the work completed on the course. I definitely agree with this we had to fully Harvard reference everything that we submitted and completed every type of assignment that I can think of including scientific reports, essays, presentations, project work, group essay and presentations, tests, exams and timed closed book essays.

I do think though that the attitude to the Access Course is different depending on where you apply to. I would advise anyone to check with the Uni that you are applying to to see what they expect you to have done. I was surprised at some of the courses that required access science. Conservation was one of those which apparently preferred science due to the types of assignments given rather than other access courses.

Good luck whatever you do and enjoy it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
thanks. where are you studying Enviro Science?

The access Science are ten a penny locally to me so if i decided finally on Enviro or Earth Science then that access is fine.. its just the dilemma of the geography access requirements and the credits needed from the access (which doesnt seem to exist) or is very rare and attached onto another access that i cannot find apart from the cornwall one..... arrrr... however after looking at a couple of other uni requirements for Geography BSc they seem a little more flexible than UEA... so what to do?

1, keep looking for that elusive pure geography access
2, go through every possible access course that mentions science in the title and inspect it for geography credits
3, do the OU exploring science that UEA want if i carnt find no. 1 or 2.
4, move to cornwall for a year for the Geography/Enviro science access.
RobertsClan
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm going to Bangor which is pretty close to where I live. Seeing as I've waited this long to go to Uni I've opted for the 4 year MSc instead of the 3 year BSc.

In the end I've accepted the place for the course I was first interested in but I wavered between a number of different courses for a while. The choice wasn't made any easier by the fact I got offers from all of my 5 choices with exactly the same conditions. I think my research project for the Access Course finally tipped the balance and made me realise that my original choice was the right one for me. I think the fact I get to take modules mixing science (in particular chemistry) and geology and geography were what appealed mostly. Also the field trip to Tenerife in year 3 was pretty enticing if I'm honest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
hawksey
Rep:
?
Wow robertsclan your next 4 years sound awesome. . What is your Msc in?. Also what Access did you take and where?.

MH

Posted from TSR Mobile
hawksey
Rep:
?
PS. I have found a few more Access courses along the Environmental Science Flavour which is good news
. Not many though tbh and none very close to me... after searching more Geography Bsc Uni requirements I realise that UEA is fairly strict in so much as they require the Geography Credits from an Access whereas other unis seem happy with a Environmental Science flavour access ( rare) and some just the pure Science Access (one at the end of my road)... so going back to my original question really.. and boils down to how far i travel for uni eventually and what I decide to take.. environmental studies or geography. .. Southend is my closest uni and they do nothing on my bucket list so next up is UEA and they want the geography credits but for the environmental they just want a science access.. geography credits only achieved from an access far away and uni close or access closer and uni further. .
. So under pressure to sort this in next few days...

Posted from TSR Mobile
RobertsClan
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Wow robertsclan your next 4 years sound awesome. . What is your Msc in?. Also what Access did you take and where?.

MH

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's MScEnv in Environmental Science and I studied an Access Science course in Llandrillo College North Wales.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report 6 years ago
I don't agree that most unis require you to have studied geography, I think you should ask more than one uni before you take what UAE told you as fact. You can get onto geography degree with a humanities/social science Access course (usually the BA), and you can definitely get onto a geography/geology degree with a science Access course. If you apply for the BA it is very easy to switch to the BSc (and vice versa) once you're at uni. If you want to do geology your best option would be a science Access course - no geology degree requires you to have studied geology or geography but they do expect you to be competent in chemistry and physics.

I wouldn't do the OU module 'Exploring science' if I were you. It costs far more than an Access course and it would be a big risk because most universities require 120 credits for entry and that module is only worth 60 credits.
hawksey
Rep:
?
hiya Samual, crossed wires i think. yep 99% of unis it would appear just require Access Science like you mentioned. its just UEA want a geography element in an access for there BSc.

So I can do Access Science just down the road and have to go further afield to do Geography if i choose that.

Or I can go further away to do Access Environmental/Geography Studies with the possibility of getting a place a UEA.

Maybe forget the UNI and course i just really like the sound of a Environmental Science Studies Access. Not many around to choose from I have found thats the only prob..
RobertsClan
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Maybe forget the UNI and course i just really like the sound of a Environmental Science Studies Access. Not many around to choose from I have found thats the only prob..
Although I really enjoyed the Access Science course I would have loved to do an Environmental Science Access Course. Sadly like you say they are few and far between and moving for me wasn't an option.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (33)
15.28%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (66)
30.56%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (25)
11.57%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (18)
8.33%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (12)
5.56%
I think it's an unfair expectation (59)
27.31%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.39%

Watched Threads