The Student Room Group

Do you look down on fat people?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
No because it's their own choice to be fat
Those who repped me on my first post thank you... but why can't you say anything? It's nice and all, join please! :smile: xx

Original post by manchesterunited15
I don't see the difference. We are shaped by our actions and choices, so something as horrific as that should be looked down on and reflected in the person.

Looking down on does not=/= being annoyed with.

Looking down on someone means one person feels superior to another which is wrong. Humans are equal beings. Someone doing a horrific thing does not give you the right to feel superior to them.

Original post by Pectorac
I think I have the right to be rude to people who take away from the system and give nothing back. Taxpayers' money could be spent a lot more productively if the layabouts decided to get jobs and not have loads of kids they can't support. I'd much rather have more equipment in hospitals and be rude to some people, than have them continue as they are.

My dad is a nurse and he sees people who can't be bothered to work (who could work), who pretend they can't so they can claim everything under the sun. All of them have massive televisions, fridges full of alcohol, fancy computers, etc. A lot of them come attached with 3 or more kids they need to claim even more benefits for. If these people were told they had to work and they wouldn't get financial support for choosing to have more than 2 kids, public services would be in a much better state than they are today.

You are going to look down on these people if in a few years' time, you're waiting weeks and weeks for an operation because the hospital doesn't have enough money to run more operating theatres staffed with surgeons and theatre nurses, because there are idiots watching Jeremy Kyle on their 60 inch Sony television all day, choosing not to work.

Treat people the way you want to be treated... even if someone is abusing their rights. Be the bigger person. I know that the wasted money could be spent better. Here I am being annoyed with them (e.g. benefit cheats) but not looking down on them.

Same, my dad is a doctor and he says he sees things like this too. The thing is that we are all equal, stupid humans. Some will do things that irritate us but we shouldn't make ourselves feel better than them. We should try to humble ourselves a little bit. See you said 'if these people were told'. They haven't been told, they might be clueless. Instead of all of us looking down on them, we should be 'helping them up'.

I know there are people who choose not to work but I don't want to make myself feel better than any other human. I hope to keep this opinion in future.

Very sorry for late reply, I was trying to make sure I understood everything :redface:
It's not right to look down on fat people, especially young adults/teenagers who may have been neglected by their parents in their childhood, so are not fat out of their own choice.

Also, to the six people who said they are 'Fat and look down on fat people' in the poll, I can't work out whether you're really arrogant, really stupid or just plain lazy not to lose weight if you know you're being looked down on.
Original post by e aí rapaz
I'm with this guy. I'm presuming that by "look down on" you mean "think yourself superior to", in which case I try not to look down on anybody.

Thank you!! I finally have someone (who agrees) who is saying something! I agree completely. :biggrin:
Original post by vader9280
Lol my own mistake made me crack up. They do though, go read some biology.

eats bodyweight in lasagne, blames genetics.
Original post by AreebWithaHat
You shouldn't look down on anyone, everyone has a fault. But then I used to be obese so maybe I sympathise with fat people more.

This.
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Not really. I don't consider them positive or negative, to me, they're just pretty neutral. The last part I think is a bit offensive - you're suggesting you know other people's reasonings better than they do and that's insulting

It's like saying to me "Hey Alice, the only reason you keep your hair dark is because it's too much effort to bleach it blonde"

"Nah, I like it dark"

"you just say that to convince yourself, everyone knows men prefer blondes therefore you can't be happy with it!"

Same logic.

There's a few differences:

1) Men might prefer blondes, but it's not by any great margin if they do (see this for a very unscientific example) whereas a tiny minority of men prefer fat women.

2) Bleaching your hair is significantly less effort than losing and then maintaining a healthy weight.

3) Hair colour has very little impact on daily life
Reply 67
fat people are a bane and drag on society and the economy as well as themselves of course because there unhealthy and it is something they can change.
Original post by karmacrunch
Those who repped me on my first post thank you... but why can't you say anything? It's nice and all, join please! :smile: xx

Looking down on someone means one person feels superior to another which is wrong. Humans are equal beings. Someone doing a horrific thing does not give you the right to feel superior to them.

Treat people the way you want to be treated... even if someone is abusing their rights. Be the bigger person. I know that the wasted money could be spent better. Here I am being annoyed with them (e.g. benefit cheats) but not looking down on them.

Same, my dad is a doctor and he says he sees things like this too. The thing is that we are all equal, stupid humans. Some will do things that irritate us but we shouldn't make ourselves feel better than them. We should try to humble ourselves a little bit. See you said 'if these people were told'. They haven't been told, they might be clueless. Instead of all of us looking down on them, we should be 'helping them up'.

I know there are people who choose not to work but I don't want to make myself feel better than any other human. I hope to keep this opinion in future.

Very sorry for late reply, I was trying to make sure I understood everything :redface:

The people who sign the benefits forms to pretend they are sick, have too many kids to support, need their rent paid through housing benefit, need more and more child benefit, need tax credits, need tax exemptions, etc are not 'clueless'. They know full well what they are doing; they need to know or else they won't get as much money as they do. They are not clueless knowing that the more children they have the more child benefit they will receive, and the more chance they have of the council giving them a bigger and better house to accommodate themselves and their children. They all bother to research what they could be 'entitled' to and make up stories to fit the description of who is eligible to claim whatever benefits they see.

When you are working full-time and just about being able to pay the rent, bills, food and to treat yourself a tiny bit, you'll understand why other people look down on these people. By being told I mean not to educate them (because they already know), but if they were told they had to get a job, couldn't claim for everything they pretend to have and not have so many children or their benefits would stop and they'd be left with nothing, there wouldn't be so many of these scroungers.
(edited 9 years ago)
No, I never could. I don't know the story behind their weight and everybody is different, it isn't as easy as eating more vegetables and doing an hour everyday at the gym or something to make you slimmer/the right weight. Not to mention I think it's wrong to look down on anyone.
Original post by karmacrunch

Equal at birth yes, but our choices make us unequal. How anyone could say that Mandela and Hitler should be equally respected is beyond me.
The only time I've noticed myself paying attention to over weight people is at grocery stores. I've caught myself thinking "Do you really need that extra package of crisps?" And instantly felt ashamed and understood that I am rather reflecting my own insecurities/stress over healthy eating vs. wanting to snack. So I wouldn't say I look down on them (or anyone), I just wish I had the will power and higher self-esteem not to care about looks of anyone as much as I do.
Original post by samba
ED's are FAR more destructive than obesity. Far far worse. Actually if you have heart disease you're better off (in terms of survival) being fat than average :p: Superslim and morbidly obese people always come out worst. Until 2010 or so, people thought 'saturated fat' was bad or that high cholesterol intakes = LDL. Those myths are still being perpetuated.

Perhaps they are worse on an individual level, but the vast majority of people who are obese and lose weight won't go on to develop an eating disorder. 99 healthy people + 1 with anorexia > 100 obese people.

The problem with that, is if you are already looking down on them just for being a fatty, you have a preconceived notion that they are lazy, worthless, idle, lacking self control. Those initial thoughts are going to cloud your judgment. I just don't see the point in looking down on somebody because they are fat, without knowing them from joe bloggs.

They're not clouding my judgement (at least not in a way that is bad) because they're justified, and will be replaced with a positive view of that person if they were to demonstrate positive traits.
in,.
Original post by manchesterunited15
There's a few differences:

1) Men might prefer blondes, but it's not by any great margin if they do (see this for a very unscientific example) whereas a tiny minority of men prefer fat women.

2) Bleaching your hair is significantly less effort than losing and then maintaining a healthy weight.

3) Hair colour has very little impact on daily life

Indeed. Whereas the vast majority of the population doesn't want to date a fat person, and hair is on a rather different scale.

Whereas when a fat person says they like being fat, that's fine as long as they don't lie about being fat and claim they are very defined to people who are thinking of dating them
Depends what you mean by look down because I don't think there's much excuse for being fat. You go to the Netherlands and hardly anyone's fat. It's much more unusual there compared to the UK. I believe the Dutch obesity rate is 11.4% compared to our 23.1%, we're more than twice as fat as the Netherlands. So why are people in the UK fat? If I had to guess there are probably a few root causes; poor diet, what supermarkets sell, physical inactivity and cultural attitudes towards obesity.

And it's unhealthy. If you can help it why would you be unhealthy?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by vader9280
Lol my own mistake made me crack up. They do though, go read some biology.

If you're referring to metabolism differences: they're not as large as people think and it still comes down to calories in and out.
If you're referring to thyroid conditions: you can get medication that solves that problem.
I look up to those who are taller than me.
Reply 78
This may have been said but I currently don't have time to read through every comment so here are my thoughts

Basically, I do not judge fat people because you do not know their story. One of my teachers used to be a model and then her husband died/left her (I forget which) then she started comfort eating but actively tries to look weight.

I ONLY have a problem when people
A) Moan about being fat and do **** all about it
B) Are blatantly fat but try saying they are curvy and curvy women are beautiful. This does my nut in
C) Over edit their photos and take photos at angles (maybe sometimes just face in ALL pictures) so they don't look fat

One girl at my school is quite fat but looks like a super model in her photos so I come across her twitter and I'm like "oooh hello" then I found out who it was and my jaw literally dropped.
Original post by MostUncivilised

Whereas when a fat person says they like being fat, that's fine as long as they don't lie about being fat and claim they are very defined to people who are thinking of dating them

I can't be the only one who wants to hear the whole story here. It sounds hilarious.. or at least, your continued anger at the situation is hilarious anywho!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending