kroinster
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi there, I have started my UCAS statement and I'm hoping to study criminology next year! Quite simple but does anyone know what to include to put me at an advantage? Also, are we expected to know quite a bit about what to expect on the course already?I feel really interested by criminology but I don't really know what to say to make me look like I really understand what it is.

All criminology related tips welcome,
NathanLG
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey there, i think if you make sure you sell yourself to them it should be fine, you could put some criminological theories in there, i did but im not sure if it helped me or not but i got accepted into all 5 of my choice universities so maybe it did.
kroinster
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by NathanLG)
Hey there, i think if you make sure you sell yourself to them it should be fine, you could put some criminological theories in there, i did but im not sure if it helped me or not but i got accepted into all 5 of my choice universities so maybe it did.
Ah right! Well you must've done something right. Sounds stupid but what are some good sources for me to understand the criminological theories?
JMP93
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
My personal statement focused on my interest in the media and authors of fiction portrayal of crime and the sensationalisation of it. I also talked a bit about myself as well so they could get to know me and looked at how my studies would benefit me on the course. I never included criminological theories because in all honesty I didn't really know any back then. Just show that you're passionate and dedicated to doing well and you should be fine. If you know theories then it will be a bonus! I got all my choice universities and graduated with a first at the end of it.
EloiseStar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by kroinster)
Hi there, I have started my UCAS statement and I'm hoping to study criminology next year! Quite simple but does anyone know what to include to put me at an advantage? Also, are we expected to know quite a bit about what to expect on the course already?I feel really interested by criminology but I don't really know what to say to make me look like I really understand what it is.

All criminology related tips welcome,
Talk about yourself, you need to sell yourself to the admissions tutor.

As for the criminology part, talk about theories. What has drawn you to criminology? Are you interested in a specific theory - is it reliable? Is there debate? If you are going to talk about a specific criminological theory that particularly interests you PLEASE do not write more than 2/3 sentences on it. The admissions tutor is familiar with what you're talking about and you need not repeat what they already know. Express your interest, say why and leave it there if you are going to highlight an interest in criminological theory.

Different universities focus on different areas. My course is heavy on theory. Make sure the universities you are applying for cover what you talk about in your personal statement and are interested in.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (97)
28.45%
No - I have already returned home (44)
12.9%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (65)
19.06%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (34)
9.97%
No - I live at home during term anyway (101)
29.62%

Watched Threads