Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have a standard middle-class accent.

ReputationRep:
    Mancunians find it very easy to imitate other peoples accents because there accent is so plain. People from some other regions find it more difficult.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoulBrother)
    Mancunians find it very easy to imitate other peoples accents because there accent is so plain. People from some other regions find it more difficult.
    living in birmingham would make me a brummie, but thank god i don't have the accent, normal i'd guess, whatever you'd count that as

ReputationRep:
    Southern accent. You know, clarse, farst etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zapsta)
    Well during my three day stint in Liverpool I saw an article on the local news suggesting that all people from up north would sound the same, so even Mancunian and Scousers would sound exactly alike! Haha! But when I said I have no accent, I meant it. All you'd be able to tell from my voice is that I'm alive.
    which paper was that, The Echo?

ReputationRep:
    My accent is fairly plain but when I'm in Scotland ppl say I sound English and when I'm in England they say I sound Scottish. Also, when I'm shy I sound Irish and when I'm on the phone I sound posh and high pitched. Anybody else have a different phone voice?

ReputationRep:
    Yep, when im in south wales they say I sound a bit scouse. When im back home (deeside) north wales they say i sound english. And when i was in scotland, they didnt have a bloody clue what i was. Oh and when im drunk supposidely I sound like scouse / scottish! ???? Beats me!!
    My dad is in the military so I guess im just a bit messed up. lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zapsta)
    But when I said I have no accent, I meant it. All you'd be able to tell from my voice is that I'm alive.

Everyone has an accent. It doesn't have to be regional.
    RP is still an accent.

Accents don't always have a name put to them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pringle)
    well, living in southport mines a bit scouse! wots all yours like?
    Whatever accent people from south-east England (Hampshire) have; I just think it's normal, but then everyone thinks theirs is normal...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    which paper was that, The Echo?
    No, it was on TV, BBC North East.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hayley...)
    Everyone has an accent. It doesn't have to be regional.
    RP is still an accent.

Accents don't always have a name put to them.
    Believe me, i don't have an accent. I have a monotone voice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    Believe me, i don't have an accent. I have a monotone voice.
    Well, I have never heard you, obviously, but I would lay money on you having some kind of accent, whether it's an obviously distinguishable one or not.

ReputationRep:
    I can be rather posh - but for now I shall stick with safely describing it as a middle-class/aspirational upper-class (yet having nowhere near the means required materially-speaking) well spoken London accent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Well, I have never heard you, obviously, but I would lay money on you having some kind of accent, whether it's an obviously distinguishable one or not.
    As i said, all'd you be able to tell from my voice is that it is a northen voice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    As i said, all'd you be able to tell from my voice is that it is a northen voice.
    Still an accent though.

Everyone has an accent.

Everyone.

ReputationRep:
    south west dorset,
    not strong tho

ReputationRep:
    what accent would you say someone from north wales has??

ReputationRep:
    ppl say that each phase i say i say it in a different accent. sometimes american, london, yorkshire the list goes on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pringle)
    well, living in southport mines a bit scouse! wots all yours like?
    Like all South West Londoners

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by étoile)
    what accent would you say someone from north wales has??
    A Welsh one?

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.