Josephine22
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi I am really stuck on land law co- ownership problem questions, I understand the concepts of severance, joint tenancy/tenancy in common but then I am unsure as to how the different trusts of land eg constructive trust express etc and s14 and s15 tolata come into it?

How do you structure your answer to this kind of co ownership problem q? Please help! Thank you

Q) In 2007 Dennis and April, who were unmarried partners, wanted to purchase a house called Pear Tree House together but did not have the necessary funds. April’s father, Victor, suggested that he contribute to the purchase and it was agreed that of the £400,000 purchase price, Dennis and April would contribute £100,000 and Victor would contribute £300,000. After some discussion with the solicitor acting for all of the purchasers, Pear Tree House was conveyed into the names of Dennis and April holding for Dennis, April and Victor as beneficial joint tenants. This arrangement was preferable to Victor because he did not expect to live very long and he wanted his interest in the property to go to Dennis and April rather than his other relatives.

In 2010 Dennis, without the knowledge of either April or Victor, mortgaged Pear Tree House to Sterling Bank plc to secure a loan of £150,000 to fund his business. April knew nothing about this and Dennis forged her signature on the mortgage deed.

In 2011, when relations between April and Dennis became strained, Victor wrote to Dennis offering to buy out Dennis’s share for £150,000. When Dennis received the letter and saw it was from Victor, he threw it in the bin unopened believing that Victor was writing to tell Dennis that he and April should try again and not split up.

In 2012 Dennis and April had a huge argument and, since Dennis’s business had collapsed, Dennis decided to leave the country and start a new life in Australia with his new partner, Carla. On hearing of this news Victor had a heart attack and died. His will left all his property to his partner Lucy.

Since that time April has lived in Pear Tree House and has spent £50,000 in installing a new upstairs bathroom. She now lives in the house with her new partner, Colin and his four year old son Thomas.

Sterling Bank plc is now threatening to take legal proceedings to enforce its security against Pear Tree House because Dennis has not paid any instalments for months.

Advise April both as to the nature and extent of her interest in Pear Tree House and whether she and Colin have a right to stay in the property.
TSR Learn Together
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
5.95%
They might tell the bully (19)
10.27%
I don't think they'd understand (32)
17.3%
It might lead to more bullying (70)
37.84%
There's nothing they could do (53)
28.65%

Watched Threads