rachelmcintosh
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I have just recently turned sixteen and I would like to look into becoming a doctor. However I have a few issues which I would appreciate getting some help on. A doctor or someone in a similar career would be the most ideal person to answer, or someone who took chemistry in secondary school, but I would appreciate advice and ideas from everyone. Sorry it is quite a long read, but I need to include as many details as I can.

I am starting my fifth year in Scottish secondary school (Which I think is the same thing as year 12 in England?) in a week's time and I have options to change my subject choices. I am about to start my highers (Equivalent of English A-Level) and currently am down for the subjects maths, English, geography, art and biology. I received 7/7 As in my National 5s (Equivalent of GCSE or O-Level) leading me off to a good start. However, I have the option to swap geography for chemistry, but I've never taken O-Level chemistry before but I have the option to pick it up straight at higher/A-Level. Would this be too difficult? I'm told chemistry at this level is quite challenging and requires a relatively intelligent student (I'm quite average intelligence-wise), but universities seem to favour chemistry for medical courses. Is there any other way I could achieve an A in this subject at Higher/A-Level outwith school? It's also important that I get As in my subjects as well. How difficult is it to achieve straight As at Higher/A-Level? What would be the best way to achieve this? My teachers also say that universities look at the result you get only on the first time sitting the exam, so I would only have one chance to get an A in chemistry. I don't have enough time to see the course through from O-Level to Higher as it needs three years, and I only have two. If I got a chemistry Higher at night school or somewhere outwith school would it be considered as valuable as one I would have got in school? Sorry about the messy fact and question mix, I'll summarise the questions:

1. Do you think it would be too difficult to get an A in Higher/A-Level chemistry without any prior knowledge of the subject? If so, how else can I get a chemistry Higher, as it's necessary for medical courses in university.

2. How difficult is it to get straight As at Higher/A-Level? Any tips or advice for achieving this?

3. Can I get a chemistry Higher somewhere outwith school, such as night school? If I achieved it elsewhere would it still be considered as valuable to a university as one I got in school?

4. How lenient are universities (particularly Glasgow University) when it comes to As and Bs? If I got any Bs instead of As would I be pushed out by competition or would there be space for me?

More questions on university and medical school:

5. How can I increase my chances of getting into university, besides good grades? Are there ways to make myself stand out in a positive way?

6. How important is work experience and what kind of relevant work experience should I be looking for? A lot of medical places don't support work experience, like the hospital. What sort of places or jobs should I be inquiring about?

7. Is a place in medical school guaranteed if I pass the university course well? Or must I try the same kind of university strategy to get in?

8. Is the workload in the university course intense? Is there lots of content just to remember, or is there less but more intellectually challenging content? Or even both?

9. Generally, do most people see the duration of university and medical school through to the end or do a lot of people drop out before the end, or earlier?

10. What are all the processes I must complete in order to finally sit down in front of a patient as a doctor? Detail would be great here.

11. If you are a doctor, would you say you like your job? If not, why not?

Thank you for taking the time to read. If a doctor or someone who did higher level chemistry answered that would be fantastic, but I would greatly appreciate comments and advice from anyone else as well. Thanks again.
lilixxx1000
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Comments in blue:

(Original post by rachelmcintosh)
I have just recently turned sixteen and I would like to look into becoming a doctor. However I have a few issues which I would appreciate getting some help on. A doctor or someone in a similar career would be the most ideal person to answer, or someone who took chemistry in secondary school, but I would appreciate advice and ideas from everyone. Sorry it is quite a long read, but I need to include as many details as I can.

I am starting my fifth year in Scottish secondary school (Which I think is the same thing as year 12 in England?) in a week's time and I have options to change my subject choices. I am about to start my highers (Equivalent of English A-Level) and currently am down for the subjects maths, English, geography, art and biology. I received 7/7 As in my National 5s (Equivalent of GCSE or O-Level) leading me off to a good start. However, I have the option to swap geography for chemistry, but I've never taken O-Level chemistry before but I have the option to pick it up straight at higher/A-Level. Would this be too difficult? I'm told chemistry at this level is quite challenging and requires a relatively intelligent student (I'm quite average intelligence-wise), but universities seem to favour chemistry for medical courses. Is there any other way I could achieve an A in this subject at Higher/A-Level outwith school? It's also important that I get As in my subjects as well. How difficult is it to achieve straight As at Higher/A-Level? What would be the best way to achieve this? My teachers also say that universities look at the result you get only on the first time sitting the exam, so I would only have one chance to get an A in chemistry. I don't have enough time to see the course through from O-Level to Higher as it needs three years, and I only have two. If I got a chemistry Higher at night school or somewhere outwith school would it be considered as valuable as one I would have got in school? Sorry about the messy fact and question mix, I'll summarise the questions:

1. Do you think it would be too difficult to get an A in Higher/A-Level chemistry without any prior knowledge of the subject? If so, how else can I get a chemistry Higher, as it's necessary for medical courses in university.

2. How difficult is it to get straight As at Higher/A-Level? Any tips or advice for achieving this?

3. Can I get a chemistry Higher somewhere outwith school, such as night school? If I achieved it elsewhere would it still be considered as valuable to a university as one I got in school?

4. How lenient are universities (particularly Glasgow University) when it comes to As and Bs? If I got any Bs instead of As would I be pushed out by competition or would there be space for me

can't say much about the first four as i'm not familiar with the scottish system but if it's comparable with A levels then I would strongly suggest taking chemistry!

More questions on university and medical school:

5. How can I increase my chances of getting into university, besides good grades? Are there ways to make myself stand out in a positive way?

work experience, long term volunteering, wider reading, attending lectures, extra curriculars that show leadership, teamwork etc. etc. you also need to do very well on the aptitude tests (UKCAT and/or BMAT depending on which unis you apply to)

6. How important is work experience and what kind of relevant work experience should I be looking for? A lot of medical places don't support work experience, like the hospital. What sort of places or jobs should I be inquiring about?

Try and get at least one shadowing placement with a doctor, either in a hospital or at a GP surgery. It's really quality over quantity so as long as you can reflect on what you've seen in your personal statement that's good. Volunteering is really important, they like to see evidence of commitment over a long period of time so try and volunteer at least once a week at a care home or centre for disabled people.

7. Is a place in medical school guaranteed if I pass the university course well? Or must I try the same kind of university strategy to get in?

Not sure what you mean by this...you are never guaranteed a place at medical school even if you have excellent grades as the competition is so fierce. Just seen your question 9 in which you seem to differentiate between university and medical school. In the UK you go straight to medical school after doing your A levels/Scottish highers at secondary school - you don't have to do a degree before like you do in the US, Canada & Australia

8. Is the workload in the university course intense? Is there lots of content just to remember, or is there less but more intellectually challenging content? Or even both?

I'm not a medical student (yet) but from what I've heard, it's more that there's a huge amount of content to remember, rather than very challenging concepts (though of course it's not going to be easy concepts)

9. Generally, do most people see the duration of university and medical school through to the end or do a lot of people drop out before the end, or earlier?

I don't think a large proportion of people drop out, I think it's fairly small but I don't know exact figures

10. What are all the processes I must complete in order to finally sit down in front of a patient as a doctor? Detail would be great here.

Finish secondary school
Get a place at a university to study medicine - this can be straight after secondary school, or after a gap year, or after another degree if you choose the graduate entry route
Finish the medicine course (usually 5 years but 6 if you intercalate) - this tends to be in two parts: pre-clinical and clinical
Graduate as a junior doctor
Work for two years as a junior doctor (FY1 and FY2) - here you will be seeing patients as a doctor but are the lowest in the ranks of doctors
Specialty training into the specialty you choose e.g. surgery, paediatrics, general practice
Become a consultant/G.P - this is the highest rank of doctor

11. If you are a doctor, would you say you like your job? If not, why not?

Sorry not a doctor (yet :P)

Thank you for taking the time to read. If a doctor or someone who did higher level chemistry answered that would be fantastic, but I would greatly appreciate comments and advice from anyone else as well. Thanks again.
Let me know if you have any more questions
rachelmcintosh
Rep:
?
Thank you very much I'm still a bit confused with the chemistry stuff but you helped a lot
lilixxx1000
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by rachelmcintosh)
Thank you very much I'm still a bit confused with the chemistry stuff but you helped a lot
No problem! Here are the entry requirements for some Scottish unis copied straight from their website:

Glasgow:

• Standard academic entry requirements: AAAAA or AAAABB by the end of S5 AND must achieve at least Grades A and B in two Advanced Highers.
  • Other mandatory requirements: Applicants are not considered for entry to Medicine from S5. S5 grades must include Chemistry and Biology, and either Maths or Physics. It is acceptable to take Biology, Chemistry, Maths or Physics as crash Highers in S6, provided Grades AAAAA or AAAABB are achieved by S5. A minimum Grade B would be required in any crash Higher subject studied in S6. Biology and Human Biology are considered equal subjects. Applicants must have English at either Standard Grade (Grade 2), or an Intermediate 2

Edinburgh:

AAAAB by the end of S5, to include Chemistry and two of Biology, Mathematics or Physics. For some applicants this subject combination at S5 Higher is neither possible nor appropriate. Students who meet the grade requirements in S5 but are missing one or more sciences may take the missing subject(s) in S6. Human Biology may replace Biology. Standard Grades: Standard Grade Credit (or Intermediate 2 at Grade B) in Biology, Chemistry, English and Mathematics. SQA Advanced Highers: We encourage the study of at least two subjects at Advanced Higher level in S6 and one further subject at Higher or above. The subjects of greatest relevance to a medical programme are Chemistry and Biology. Offers are likely to be conditional on S6 performance.

Aberdeen:

[TD="bgcolor: #DFEFFA, colspan: 2"]Scottish Highers
[/TD]

S5 Studies
To be considered: AAAAB to be achieved in five Highers taken together in S5 at the first sitting.
  • Chemistry is required to grade B minimum.
  • Two subjects are required from Biology/Human Biology, Maths & Physics.
  • Two further Highers in most other subjects. Please check with Medical Admissions Office if in doubt about suitability of a subject.

If one of the required subjects is not undertaken in S5 due to school policy or very exceptional personal difficulties, supporting documentation must be supplied and sent directly to the Medical Admissions Office when application is submitted.
S6 Studies
Candidates who have achieved the Entrance Requirements, i.e. five Highers @ AAAAB or better in S5, should continue their studies in S6 and are free to choose a programme of study which is of particular interest to them, noting:
  • Three full academic courses will gain a greater objective academic score.
  • Higher Biology will prove useful.

Failure to achieve Highers of AAAAB at first attempt in S5
If AAABB or AAAAC are achieved at first attempt in S5, further studies in S6 can be considered providing applicants are estimated to achieve one of the following programmes of study:
  • One new Higher @ A plus two Advanced Highers @ minimum BB or
  • Two new Highers @ AA plus one new Advanced Higher @ minimum B or
  • Three Advanced Highers @ ABB (Chemistry required plus one science) or
  • Three A-Levels @ AAB (Chemistry required plus one science).

Note: The majority of successful applicants have achieved AAAAB or better at first sitting, normally in S5.
Only sitting 4 Highers
AAAA in four Highers taken at first sitting may be considered:
  • Due to school policy or because of very exceptional personal difficulties.
  • Supporting documentation must be supplied and sent directly to the Medical Admissions Office when application is submitted.

Further S6 studies must include:

• One (specified) Higher @ A plus two Advanced Highers @ minimum BB or
  • One (specified) Higher plus one new Higher @ AA plus one new Advanced Higher @ minimum B.

It is very unlikely that candidates who have attempted only three Highers at first sitting will be considered.
First sitting of Highers in S6.
First sitting of Highers in S6 may be considered if this is the result of very exceptional personal difficulties, such as ill health. Supporting documentation must be supplied and sent directly to the Medical Admissions Office when the application is submitted.
Only offering five S5 Highers without S6 studies
Only under very exceptional circumstances can applications from candidates be considered who only offer five S5 Scottish Highers without additional S6 studies. Supporting documentation must be supplied and sent directly to the Medical Admissions Office when the application is submitted.
  • AAAAA in five Highers taken at one sitting.
  • Chemistry is required plus two of Maths, Biology & Physics, plus two other Highers.

Dundee:

A minimum group of AAABB grades at SQA Higher level will allow consideration. The subjects must include Chemistry and another Science subject, all to be obtained at the same sitting. The other three Highers can be your own choice and this choice of subjects will not influence the assessment.

We also require Biology at least to Standard Grade.
Applications supported by AAAAC grades from 5th year will also be considered, provided the C grade is not in Higher Chemistry. (Approx. 6% of candidates sitting 5 Highers attain these grades).
Achievement at standard grade will also be taken into account.

Offers will be conditional, based on three Advanced Highers/Highers taken in 6th year, normally at BBB grades.

St Andrews

AAAAB (at Higher) including Chemistry (A grade) and one other of Biology, Mathematics or Physics.

• These grades should normally be obtained at the same sitting. Exceptions may be made for candidates who attend schools which are unable to present pupils for five Highers at one sitting.
  • Applicants who obtain a B grade in Chemistry in S5 may be considered if they are sitting Advanced Higher Chemistry in S6.
  • If Biology or Mathematics has not been passed at Higher grade, each must normally have been passed at Standard Grade Credit Level (grade 1 or 2) or Intermediate 2 (grade A or B).
  • A pass must also be offered in Standard Grade English at Credit Level (grade 1 or 2) or Intermediate 2 (grade A or B).
  • Human Biology may replace Biology.
  • A Higher in Intensive English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) is not acceptable as one of 5 Highers required at one sitting.
  • Students unable to take missing sciences in S5 may take the missing subject(s) in S6. Two science subjects must be sat in the same year - either S5 or S6.
  • There is no direct entry from S5 at school.
  • Offers made will be conditional and based on S6 programmes of study.
  • Likely conditions required will be an A grade and a B grade (not necessarily both at Advanced Higher; could include a new Higher). For further information please see Competitive academic requirements.

Hope that helped! You can go check out the websites yourself if you want
rachelmcintosh
Rep:
?
[QUOTE=lilixxx1000;49262183]No problem! Here are the entry requirements for some Scottish unis copied straight from their website:

Glasgow:

• Standard academic entry requirements: AAAAA or AAAABB by the end of S5 AND must achieve at least Grades A and B in two Advanced Highers.
  • Other mandatory requirements: Applicants are not considered for entry to Medicine from S5. S5 grades must include Chemistry and Biology, and either Maths or Physics. It is acceptable to take Biology, Chemistry, Maths or Physics as crash Highers in S6, provided Grades AAAAA or AAAABB are achieved by S5. A minimum Grade B would be required in any crash Higher subject studied in S6. Biology and Human Biology are considered equal subjects. Applicants must have English at either Standard Grade (Grade 2), or an Intermediate 2

Edinburgh:

AAAAB by the end of S5, to include Chemistry and two of Biology, Mathematics or Physics. For some applicants this subject combination at S5 Higher is neither possible nor appropriate. Students who meet the grade requirements in S5 but are missing one or more sciences may take the missing subject(s) in S6. Human Biology may replace Biology. Standard Grades: Standard Grade Credit (or Intermediate 2 at Grade B) in Biology, Chemistry, English and Mathematics. SQA Advanced Highers: We encourage the study of at least two subjects at Advanced Higher level in S6 and one further subject at Higher or above. The subjects of greatest relevance to a medical programme are Chemistry and Biology. Offers are likely to be conditional on S6 performance.

Aberdeen:

[/TD]

S5 Studies
To be considered: AAAAB to be achieved in five Highers taken together in S5 at the first sitting.

• Two further Highers in most other subjects. Please check with Medical Admissions Office if in doubt about suitability of a subject.

If one of the required subjects is not undertaken in S5 due to school policy or very exceptional personal difficulties, supporting documentation must be supplied and sent directly to the Medical Admissions Office when application is submitted.
S6 Studies
Candidates who have achieved the Entrance Requirements, i.e. five Highers @ AAAAB or better in S5, should continue their studies in S6 and are free to choose a programme of study which is of particular interest to them, noting:

If AAABB or AAAAC are achieved at first attempt in S5, further studies in S6 can be considered providing applicants are estimated to achieve one of the following programmes of study:

Note: The majority of successful applicants have achieved AAAAB or better at first sitting, normally in S5.
Only sitting 4 Highers

• Supporting documentation must be supplied and sent directly to the Medical Admissions Office when application is submitted.

• One (specified) Higher plus one new Higher @ AA plus one new Advanced Higher @ minimum B.

It is very unlikely that candidates who have attempted only three Highers at first sitting will be considered.
First sitting of Highers in S6 may be considered if this is the result of very exceptional personal difficulties, such as ill health. Supporting documentation must be supplied and sent directly to the Medical Admissions Office when the application is submitted.
Only under very exceptional circumstances can applications from candidates be considered who only offer five S5 Scottish Highers without additional S6 studies. Supporting documentation must be supplied and sent directly to the Medical Admissions Office when the application is submitted.

• Chemistry is required plus two of Maths, Biology & Physics, plus two other Highers.

Dundee:

A minimum group of AAABB grades at SQA Higher level will allow consideration. The subjects must include Chemistry and another Science subject, all to be obtained at the same sitting. The other three Highers can be your own choice and this choice of subjects will not influence the assessment.

Applications supported by AAAAC grades from 5th year will also be considered, provided the C grade is not in Higher Chemistry. (Approx. 6% of candidates sitting 5 Highers attain these grades).

Offers will be conditional, based on three Advanced Highers/Highers taken in 6th year, normally at BBB grades.

St Andrews

AAAAB (at Higher) including Chemistry (A grade) and one other of Biology, Mathematics or Physics.

• These grades should normally be obtained at the same sitting. Exceptions may be made for candidates who attend schools which are unable to present pupils for five Highers at one sitting.
  • Applicants who obtain a B grade in Chemistry in S5 may be considered if they are sitting Advanced Higher Chemistry in S6.
  • If Biology or Mathematics has not been passed at Higher grade, each must normally have been passed at Standard Grade Credit Level (grade 1 or 2) or Intermediate 2 (grade A or B).
  • A pass must also be offered in Standard Grade English at Credit Level (grade 1 or 2) or Intermediate 2 (grade A or B).
  • A Higher in Intensive English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) is not acceptable as one of 5 Highers required at one sitting.
  • Students unable to take missing sciences in S5 may take the missing subject(s) in S6. Two science subjects must be sat in the same year - either S5 or S6.
  • Likely conditions required will be an A grade and a B grade (not necessarily both at Advanced Higher; could include a new Higher). For further information please see Competitive academic requirements.

Wow, it must have taken ages to find all that information! Thank you so much, it's great to have it all in front of me to read now. Great info as well, thank you!!
lilixxx1000
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
[QUOTE=rachelmcintosh;49264111]
(Original post by lilixxx1000)
No problem! Here are the entry requirements for some Scottish unis copied straight from their website:

Glasgow:

Edinburgh:

Aberdeen:

[/TD]

S5 Studies

S6 Studies

Only sitting 4 Highers

Dundee:

St Andrews

Wow, it must have taken ages to find all that information! Thank you so much, it's great to have it all in front of me to read now. Great info as well, thank you!!
No problem! No it's really easy just go onto the websites e.g. type glasgow medicine entry requirements into google and it should come up straight away Let me know if you have any more qs
tree456
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi i'm a doctor, i'm in GP surgery right now ! and its a great job if you are interested in people and like trying to solve problems, chemistry has always been a requirement I think although there is (or at least used to be) not much heavy duty chemistry in the medical course just a familiarity with the basics and a good understanding of concentration, moles etc now I can honestly say I do not use much a level science in my day to day job and an understanding of people and narrative that you would gain from English and an assessment and use of real life data that you would gain in geography I think would be as relevant to my practice now. However you obviously have to do what you need to do to get in. I think getting some experience at a GP surgery or hospital would be great just seeing what doctors actually do and if this would suit you would be ideal if you do this try to take away some more in depth ideas about the experience to do with personal stories how illness affects how patients and health care professional feel and behave would probably look different and stand out on a personal statement
rachelmcintosh
Rep:
?
Yeah I'm going to try and see if I can get any work experience placements soon, I think it will be difficult though. I'm glad to hear a lot of science isn't used in the actual job, if I can manage it now I shouldn't have to worry about it then. Thanks for answering
MathsNerd1
  • Study Helper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Moved to Medicine forum
rachelmcintosh
Rep:
?
Thanks, I'm new on this, I don't think I looked at all the categories XD
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• De Montfort University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 7 Dec '19
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Undergraduate Undergraduate
    Sat, 7 Dec '19
  • Regent's University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 7 Dec '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (61)
18.77%
Labour (159)
48.92%
Liberal Democrats (46)
14.15%
Green Party (20)
6.15%
Brexit Party (4)
1.23%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
0.92%
SNP (7)
2.15%
Plaid Cymru (2)
0.62%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (4)
1.23%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (1)