Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    this is the essay ive told u about...whats wrong with it?
    thanks a lot
    :*
    Ann

WHY ARE ENTRANCE EXAMINATIONS NECESSARY ON ENGLISH PHILOLOGY?

Entrance examinations are considered to be stressful, difficult and, at times, unfair. More often than not, luck can be said to play an instrumental role in deciding one’s fate. To my mind, entrance examinations are extremely important and they are caused by three major factors: elimination of people who lack the basic knowledge of English and, therefore, ensuring that the cream of the crop is being selected, check the knowledge of those who pass, and preparation the students-to-be for the examinations in the future.
    To begin with, the main cause for creating the entrance examinations in English Philology is the wish to eliminate the people who are not on the demanded level of English. Entrance examinations act as a huge sieve. Few years ago I was an apprentice in a private school, in which there was no entrance examination. The effects of such policy were best visible in my group, which consisted of many people with and without the fluency in English. Learning in such atmosphere was restricted and terribly hard, since the lecturer could scarcely proceed with the material. If there had been a test at the beginning, the group would have been smaller but at least we could have been able to learn faster.
    Secondly, another cause for creating the entrance examinations on English Philology is checking the knowledge of those who pass, which ensures that there will be no circumstances in which students of different depths of understanding will be placed in the same group. It has been psychologically proven that placing students of very wide range of knowledge in the same group causes the slow down of the better ones.
    Last of all, as stated in the thesis, entrance examinations are designed to prepare the future students for similar examinations in the time to come. These examinations show the student what academic scrutiny is like, moreover, they tell how to behave in front of the commission, what to do and what to avoid. A friend of mine, who for most of his life has lived in a place where vast majority of students is educated at homes, was shocked when put in front of the commission. He did not know how to behave. However, the first time had taught him the valuable lesson, which helped him to finish his studies successfully.
    To sum up, entrance examinations, although not liked, are tremendously important as they eliminate the people who lack the basic knowledge of English, check the knowledge of those who pass, and prepare the students-to-be for the examinations in the future.

ReputationRep:

Entrance examinations are considered to be stressful, difficult and, at times, unfair. More often than not, luck can be said to play a vital role in deciding one’s fate. In my opinion, entrance examinations are extremely important and that is because of 3 major factors: elimination of people who lack the basic knowledge of English and, therefore, ensuring that the cream of the crop are being selected, checking the knowledge of those who pass, and preparing the students-to-be for the examinations in the future.
    To begin with, the main cause for creating the entrance examinations in English Philology is the wish to eliminate the people who are not on the required level of English. Entrance examinations act as a huge sieve. Few years ago I was an apprentice in a private school, in which there was no entrance examination. The effects of such policy were best visible in my group, which consisted of many people with and without the fluency in English. Learning in such atmosphere was restricted and hard, since the lecturer could scarcely proceed with the material. If there had been a selection test at the beginning, the group would have been smaller but at least we could have been able to learn faster.
    Secondly, another cause for creating the entrance examinations on English Philology is checking the knowledge of those who pass, which ensures that there will be no circumstances in which students of different depths of understanding will be placed in the same group. It has been psychologically proven that placing students of very wide range of knowledge in the same group causes the slowing down of the more developed ones.
    Last of all, as stated in the thesis, entrance examinations are designed to prepare the future students for similar examinations in the time to come. These examinations show the student what academic scrutiny is like, moreover, they tell how to behave in front of the commission, what to do and what to avoid. A friend of mine, who for most of his life has lived in a place where the vast majority of students are educated at homes, was shocked when he was put in front of the commission. He did not know how to behave. However, the first time had taught him a valuable lesson, which helped him to finish his studies successfully.
    To sum up, entrance examinations, although not liked, are tremendously important as they eliminate the people who lack the basic knowledge of English, check the knowledge of those who pass, and prepare the students-to-be for the examinations in the future.

Here are some of the basic errors, and where needed, some better phrases are inserted. The content is OK, but the points you are trying to get across is repeated in many forms. Many of them are similar.

Adding new points would make it better. Or better examples.

ReputationRep:

Entrance examinations are considered to be stressful, difficult and at times, unfair. More often than not, luck can be said to play a vital role in deciding one’s fate. To my mind, entrance examinations are extremely important and they are caused by three major factors: elimination of people who fail to grasp the basic knowledge of English, consequently ensuring that the cream of the crop is being selected. Examinations are also used to test the knowledge acquired of those who pass and to prepare the students who shall be taking such examinations in the near future.
    Initially, the main cause for creating the entrance examinations in English Philology is the wish to eliminate the people who do not meet the demanded standard of English that they require. Entrance examinations can act as a huge sieve. In highlighting this point, a few years ago I was an apprentice in a private school, in which there were no entrance examinations. The effects of such policy were best visible in my group, which consisted of many people with and without the accepted level of fluency in English. Learning in such an atmosphere was quite restrictive for teaching the higher level pupils and terribly hard. The lecturer could barely proceed with the material due to the numerous individuals who were lagging behind in class. If there had been an initial entrance test for admissionary purposes, the outcome would most likely have been that the group would have been smaller, but at least the teacher would have been able to proceed with her lesson at a more efficient rate that benefited the whole class.
    Another reason that supports the proposal to create the entrance examinations on English Philology, is that it could be deemed as a useful measure of the acquired skills and knowledge of those who pass. This ensures that there will be no circumstances in which students with highly variable levels of understanding will be placed in the exact same group. It has also been psychologically proven that the inclusion of students of a lower ability in a group consisting of able and very intelligent pupils, has the effect of hindering the more advanced students.
    In addition to the above, ass stated in the thesis, entrance examinations are generally designed to prepare future students who are to face such similar examinations. These examinations are a clear indication of what academic scrutiny is like in a pressured time frame. Moreover, they test the students' behaviour in front of the commission as well as what to do and what actions to avoid avoid. A friend of mine, who for most of his life had lived in a location where vast majority of students were educated at home, was distinctively shocked when he was put in front of the commission at an exam. It became apperent that he was unaware of the standard behavioural expectations required of all siting candidates. In retrospect of this event, this first hand experience taught him a valuable lesson, which aided him in finishing his education successfully as he did achieve his academic potential as a result of this experience.
    To finally conclude the essay, it is my strong opinion that entrance examinations, albeit disliked, are tremendously important as they effectively act as eliminators of those who have evidently not grasped the fundamentals of English. This in my view, is the key benefit of imposing such a system as a standard admissionary procedure.

ReputationRep:
    thank you guys
    Annie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jazzy_girl)
    thank you guys
    Annie
    np

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jazzy_girl)
    this is the essay ive told u about...whats wrong with it?
    thanks a lot
    :*
    Ann

Entrance examinations are considered to be stressful, difficult and, at times, unfair. More often than not, luck can be said to play an instrumental role in deciding one’s fate. To my mind, entrance examinations are extremely important and they are caused by three major factors: elimination of people who lack the basic knowledge of English and, therefore, ensuring that the cream of the crop is being selected, check the knowledge of those who pass, and preparation the students-to-be for the examinations in the future.
    To begin with, the main cause for creating the entrance examinations in English Philology is the wish to eliminate the people who are not on the demanded level of English. Entrance examinations act as a huge sieve. Few years ago I was an apprentice in a private school, in which there was no entrance examination. The effects of such policy were best visible in my group, which consisted of many people with and without the fluency in English. Learning in such atmosphere was restricted and terribly hard, since the lecturer could scarcely proceed with the material. If there had been a test at the beginning, the group would have been smaller but at least we could have been able to learn faster.
    Secondly, another cause for creating the entrance examinations on English Philology is checking the knowledge of those who pass, which ensures that there will be no circumstances in which students of different depths of understanding will be placed in the same group. It has been psychologically proven that placing students of very wide range of knowledge in the same group causes the slow down of the better ones.
    Last of all, as stated in the thesis, entrance examinations are designed to prepare the future students for similar examinations in the time to come. These examinations show the student what academic scrutiny is like, moreover, they tell how to behave in front of the commission, what to do and what to avoid. A friend of mine, who for most of his life has lived in a place where vast majority of students is educated at homes, was shocked when put in front of the commission. He did not know how to behave. However, the first time had taught him the valuable lesson, which helped him to finish his studies successfully.
    are you bart 22?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    are you bart 22?
    No.

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.