The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Need information on Computer Science & Modules

Hello. I am currently deciding which universities I want to apply to next September (for September 2016) I have chosen most of my university choices (Birmingham, Kings and Cardiff), but still have one choice left and I am unsure whether to go with Royal Holloway or Newcastle. I have looked at the CS modules and I was wondering if I can get some more information on a few like what you do in them and such. The modules are

CS1830 Computing laboratory (games)

CS3230 Computer games technology

CS3220 Fundamentals of digital sound and music

IY3840 Malicious Software

IY4606 Smart Cards/Token Security and Applications

IY4609 Digital Forensics

IY4612 Cyber Security

I checked online and could only find the module names and their credit amount. Thank you for any information you can provide.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by cnova
Hello. I am currently deciding which universities I want to apply to next September (for September 2016) I have chosen most of my university choices (Birmingham, Kings and Cardiff), but still have one choice left and I am unsure whether to go with Royal Holloway or Newcastle. I have looked at the CS modules and I was wondering if I can get some more information on a few like what you do in them and such. The modules are

CS1830 Computing laboratory (games)

CS3230 Computer games technology

CS3220 Fundamentals of digital sound and music

IY3840 Malicious Software

IY4606 Smart Cards/Token Security and Applications

IY4609 Digital Forensics

IY4612 Cyber Security

I checked online and could only find the module names and their credit amount. Thank you for any information you can provide.

Hi there,

If you look at our Course finder you'll be able to find a lot of information on our Computer Science courses, including what you'll learn and how you'll be assessed: https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/computerscience/coursefinder/bsccomputerscience.aspx

Their departmental brochure should also give you insight, as well as the department's website.

I hope that helps,

Emily
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Reply 2
Thank you for the links. The brochure was quite informative, however it was not what I was looking for. On All of the university websites I have decided to go to, or even the ones I have just seen, each module has a link and then a description of what is done in that module, how it's assessed, it's credits and it's weighting. This is the kind of thing I was looking to find for these modules.
Original post by cnova
Thank you for the links. The brochure was quite informative, however it was not what I was looking for. On All of the university websites I have decided to go to, or even the ones I have just seen, each module has a link and then a description of what is done in that module, how it's assessed, it's credits and it's weighting. This is the kind of thing I was looking to find for these modules.

Hi,

Please click on the link I provided above from our course finder - this gives the information you are looking for: https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/computerscience/coursefinder/bsccomputerscience.aspx

Please click on the purple drop-down tabs to reveal more information. You can do this for all of our courses, so you can have a browse on all of our computer science modules you may be interested in.

I provided the brochure as extra information, I'm glad you found it informative.

Thanks

Emily
Reply 4
Original post by Royal Holloway, University of London
Hi,

Please click on the link I provided above from our course finder - this gives the information you are looking for: https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/computerscience/coursefinder/bsccomputerscience.aspx

Please click on the purple drop-down tabs to reveal more information. You can do this for all of our courses, so you can have a browse on all of our computer science modules you may be interested in.

I provided the brochure as extra information, I'm glad you found it informative.

Thanks

Emily

I have done that already, you're not quite understanding what I mean.

For example, other universities go something like this

Module, Foundations of Computing
Description of this module
The module will introduce the fundamental concepts of Computer Science, such as the representation of data in computer memory, programming constructs, data models and data structures and the analysis of algorithms. The ideas will be presented abstractly, although examples will be given in the language used in the parallel programming workshop modules.

Your's only gives an overview of what you'll learn each year, not a description of each module, which is what I am looking for.

During the first two years, you learn essential application development methods and techniques, from programming to software engineering, from databases to web development, from computer graphics to robotics. You also learn fundamental aspects of computing, including algorithms and complexity what computers can do and how efficiently they do it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by cnova
I have done that already, you're not quite understanding what I mean.

For example, other universities go something like this

Module, Foundations of Computing
Description of this module

Your's only gives an overview of what you'll learn each year, not a description of each module, which is what I am looking for.

Hi there,

I do apologise, I am with you now.

Here is an overview of our Computer Science modules, which provides bullet-point summaries of what will be covered, course values (weighting) and information on assessment: https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/computerscience/informationforcurrentstudents/courseoutlinesall-2013-2014.aspx

I hope this helps,

Emily
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Royal Holloway, University of London
Hi there,

I do apologise, I am with you now.

Here is an overview of our Computer Science modules, which provides bullet-point summaries of what will be covered, course values (weighting) and information on assessment: https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/computerscience/informationforcurrentstudents/courseoutlinesall-2013-2014.aspx

I hope this helps,

Emily

That's exactly what I was looking for, thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending