The Student Room Group

Adjustment... do I even have a chance to change course?

So I've got a confirmed unconditional to study Languages with Business Management at uni. Course modules are 50% languages and 50% business in year 1st and 2nd years and then 2 business modules and 4 language modules in last year. The course is in the Languages department! However, honestly.. I would really rather just do a straight Business degree. When I applied, all my other choices were language degrees - this was the only degree that had a business component so I thought, I'm not going to write anything about the business part just for one uni cause it might hinder my chances at the other unis. So my PS was all about languages and still got accepted - obv since the course is run by the Language department, they were probably not that fussed about me not mentioning why I want to do business... I checked and there are clearing places for Business Management at this uni. I mean I wouldnt give up my existing place, so no clearing for me, NO WAY, but I am thinking about adjustment. However I'm guessing if I do tried to get a place through Adjustment, they would expect me to have a really good reason to switch to Business... PS and reference was all about languages. And my application would be looked at by the Business department and they wouldnt have any reason to give me a place! I do have the grades for the Business course because they lowered their maths requirement. I didnt even consider applying for the straight business course because I didnt meet the math requirement. Business courses tend to have high entry requirements at the 'good unis' and I didnt find any uni that I both wanted to go to AND met the grade requirements so I chose the second option - languages! So as you see, it isnt as easy as someone who applied to English and History and wrote about both of these in their PS and then just switched to History because its in the same department etc. So if I phoned them up would they ask me for a new personal statement? Or would they just say no?
Original post by driftawaay
So I've got a confirmed unconditional to study Languages with Business Management at uni. Course modules are 50% languages and 50% business in year 1st and 2nd years and then 2 business modules and 4 language modules in last year. The course is in the Languages department! However, honestly.. I would really rather just do a straight Business degree. When I applied, all my other choices were language degrees - this was the only degree that had a business component so I thought, I'm not going to write anything about the business part just for one uni cause it might hinder my chances at the other unis. So my PS was all about languages and still got accepted - obv since the course is run by the Language department, they were probably not that fussed about me not mentioning why I want to do business... I checked and there are clearing places for Business Management at this uni. I mean I wouldnt give up my existing place, so no clearing for me, NO WAY, but I am thinking about adjustment. However I'm guessing if I do tried to get a place through Adjustment, they would expect me to have a really good reason to switch to Business... PS and reference was all about languages. And my application would be looked at by the Business department and they wouldnt have any reason to give me a place! I do have the grades for the Business course because they lowered their maths requirement. I didnt even consider applying for the straight business course because I didnt meet the math requirement. Business courses tend to have high entry requirements at the 'good unis' and I didnt find any uni that I both wanted to go to AND met the grade requirements so I chose the second option - languages! So as you see, it isnt as easy as someone who applied to English and History and wrote about both of these in their PS and then just switched to History because its in the same department etc. So if I phoned them up would they ask me for a new personal statement? Or would they just say no?

I would start doing your research now - call admissions and see if they would consider you. Remember you can only adjust if you have exceeded your firm offer. You can - if your A-level results 'meet and exceed' your conditional firm offer, that is. So let's say uni X offered you a place if you got AAB, and you ended up getting AAA. You could then use Adjustment to find a place at uni Y instead.

We have some guidance on adjustment http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=4520-Are-you-ready-to-upgrade-Why-now-is-the-time-to-get-ready-to-use-Adjustment-on-A-level-results-day

And how to use adjustment on results day http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Changing_university_via_adjustment:_what_you_need_to_know

Does some of that information help? :smile:
Are you actually eligible for adjustment Did you meet and exceed your firm offer? If you applied with your grades already and received an unconditional offer from the outset, you aren't eligible for adjustment. If you are eligible, you are entitled to call and discuss any course you like and they will decide on an individual basis.
Reply 3
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Are you actually eligible for adjustment Did you meet and exceed your firm offer? If you applied with your grades already and received an unconditional offer from the outset, you aren't eligible for adjustment. If you are eligible, you are entitled to call and discuss any course you like and they will decide on an individual basis.
I am guessing I exceeded my firm offer because my firm offer was BBB. I applied to another course at the same uni which was ABB and I was accepted onto that course as well (conditional on TOEFL) But yeah, my firm offer was also Conditional on passing the TOEFL. So it wasnt an unconditional from the start. But yeah it's still a lost cause I'm afraid.
Reply 4
I got a*ab instead of aaa. I feel that the b is a mistake and should be a. Should I still apply for adjustment?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi

You can only apply for and use Adjustment if you have meet the conditions of your offer and you hold a place with your first choice Uni. Typically, adjustment is used if you did better than expected and essentially want to upgrade and shop around with Unis, without risking losing your place
Reply 6
Original post by GrandMasterChe
I got a*ab instead of aaa. I feel that the b is a mistake and should be a. Should I still apply for adjustment?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If your offer was AAA and you achieved A*AB then you are not eligible for Adjustment as you need to meet all parts of the condition and then exceed it in some way.
Reply 7

Hey, do you want to change course at the same uni? I rang mine at 8am asking to change courses - all I had to do was e-mail them my name, UCAS ID number, the course I have an unconditional offer on and the course I want to change to and within an hour - my UCAS track updated with the changed course. It's very straightforward procedure! Give them a ring and explain your concerns.
Original post by Zottula

I'm eligible for adjustment. Am I likely to be made an offer if my grades don't meet the entry requirements of the course I want to enquire about? The university is in clearing, if that affects the decision.
Reply 9
Original post by Zottula
If your offer was AAA and you achieved A*AB then you are not eligible for Adjustment as you need to meet all parts of the condition and then exceed it in some way.

Right well how long does adjustment last for because I feel certain that if I get a remark for RS my B will go to an A and so make eligible

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Butterfly92
Hey, do you want to change course at the same uni? I rang mine at 8am asking to change courses - all I had to do was e-mail them my name, UCAS ID number, the course I have an unconditional offer on and the course I want to change to and within an hour - my UCAS track updated with the changed course. It's very straightforward procedure! Give them a ring and explain your concerns.
Yep, same uni but different department! That's really cool for you but I'm guessing the course you changed to is similar to the one you originally applied to and I guess you talked about your passion for the subject in your PS! So they easily accepted you but as I said this isn't exactly my case, I didnt mention anything about business in my PS + my reference was unrelated as well.
Reply 11
Yep, same uni but different department! That's really cool for you but I'm guessing the course you changed to is similar to the one you originally applied to and I guess you talked about your passion for the subject in your PS! So they easily accepted you but as I said this isn't exactly my case, I didnt mention anything about business in my PS + my reference was unrelated as well.

Yes, the same department! :frown:
Ring the admission ASAP and explain this, because I am sure they will change it for you. You might not need to change your PS - a brief meeting with the Head of Department might suffice for them.
Original post by cathrg26
I'm eligible for adjustment. Am I likely to be made an offer if my grades don't meet the entry requirements of the course I want to enquire about? The university is in clearing, if that affects the decision.

Unlikely, but it's only the cost of a call.

It's easy to transfer course. I did it three years in (right back to first year again) with a completely different subject. Unis want you to love your subject so are often willing to change your course quite easily.
Reply 14
Original post by Butterfly92
Yes, the same department! :frown: Ring the admission ASAP and explain this, because I am sure they will change it for you. You might not need to change your PS - a brief meeting with the Head of Department might suffice for them.

I live in a different country so no meeting with the Head of Department for me unfortunately. Not until uni starts. lol
Reply 15
Original post by SmallTownGirl
It's easy to transfer course. I did it three years in (right back to first year again) with a completely different subject. Unis want you to love your subject so are often willing to change your course quite easily.

I'm just hesitating about ringing them up because it would be like 'Hi I would like to change to business' then they'd look at my application and it would be like random, how come?? It would be random and I dont have any amazing stores I could convince them with such as Ive recently taken up a business work experience thats made me change my mind and now Im so passionate about business etc so yeah.

Yeah I was thinking maybe when I get to uni I could try to switch to Business in 1st week but by then people will have taken up the places in clearing, I guess, so not very likely.
I'm just hesitating about ringing them up because it would be like 'Hi I would like to change to business' then they'd look at my application and it would be like random, how come?? It would be random and I dont have any amazing stores I could convince them with such as Ive recently taken up a business work experience thats made me change my mind and now Im so passionate about business etc so yeah.

Yeah I was thinking maybe when I get to uni I could try to switch to Business in 1st week but by then people will have taken up the places in clearing, I guess, so not very likely.

I had no reason for the course change except that I was ill and didn't like physics anymore. They still accepted me.
Original post by GrandMasterChe
Right well how long does adjustment last for because I feel certain that if I get a remark for RS my B will go to an A and so make eligible

Posted from TSR Mobile

Adjustment runs from 14–31 August. You only have five 24 hour periods (including weekends) within this time to use it, starting from when your conditional firm (CF) offer changes to unconditional firm (UF). If you get a remark it probably won't come back in time. Priority remarks are generally for people who have narrowly missed the conditions of an offer and now have a university place that is dependent on it.
Reply 18
Original post by SmallTownGirl
I had no reason for the course change except that I was ill and didn't like physics anymore. They still accepted me.

Well you're a unique case!

But if I look at this from a logical point of view

If I had applied to do the Business degree with my current application as it is, I wouldn't have gotten accepted - I meet the grade requirements BUT my PS and reference are completely unrelated therefore it would have been a rejection regardless of grades.

If I try to switch to Business now I'm just doing the same thing - applying for a course that has no relevance to my application, therefore a rejection.
Well you're a unique case!

But if I look at this from a logical point of view

If I had applied to do the Business degree with my current application as it is, I wouldn't have gotten accepted - I meet the grade requirements BUT my PS and reference are completely unrelated therefore it would have been a rejection regardless of grades.

If I try to switch to Business now I'm just doing the same thing - applying for a course that has no relevance to my application, therefore a rejection.

You can only try. But obviously you don't want to so...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending