The Student Room Group

Breakdown of PRTC

So, passed PRTC, now roll on BRTC (24th of September for me)

I know some complained about waiting around a lot, but that is only natural, as a group of 100, we can't do everything at once. Didn't think it was that much of the waiting, and I was grateful for a bit of time between the aspects of the fitness test.
It was 6 groups in fitness test, girls run first, then we had to wait for everyone to run.
After that press ups with 6 PTIs, and we all queued up for them, those went quite quick, and same for sit ups, so definitely time to rest between.
BKSB was easy, they are kind of tool for diagnostic what level are you working at, we got from L1 to L3, but as long as you got at least L1, you were fine. As it is a level of normal 8 y.o. child Everyone passed.

Functional skills weren't hard either, I had to do L2 in both, and I think I passed, but wouldn't know for a month still. And yeah, if you fail both or one of them, you still in, you just come to your basic earlier and have tutorials, so you do pass.

Day 0:
We arrived on Tue afternoon, and were picked up at the Wendover (or Tring) station by white coach. Some drive, so obviously different for them.
After that we had briefing, got out bedding, sent to our rooms (14 ppl per room) had free time and went for dinner.
Marching everywhere! LEFT RIGHT LEFT! Drill sergeant loved it
After dinner back to barrack block, made beds, had free time.
Really have to watch out for rules, as quite few ppl were caught breaking them.

Rules:

No phones outside the block.
No going anywhere without PRTC badge.
No smoking during the working day, and after only in the smoking shed, even if you need to walk across half of Halton.
No casual clothing on the first night outside the block (if going outside, wear smart civilian clothing, like you do during the day)
Only allowed to go to the shop in the Newcomers club on the first night, thank God for Costa machine in there
Never walk on the parade square
Don't walk in big loud groups, small, quiet and smartly is the way.
Don't be late and have all intake and drill sergeant waiting for you
All males to be clean WET shaven every morning.
No make up or jewellery allowed apart from watch and wedding ring.
When in GYM never walk, always run.
No males allowed on female floor
Curfew after 22.30

Day 1:
6am wake up, form up outside at 6.45 (but really 6.40, 5 minute rule!) In out PE kit. No make up, no jewellery.
March to breakfast.
Fitness test straight after breakfast, so nobody ate much.
After that we were back to the block, given time to shower and change, then lunch.
After lunch basic skills tests, then dinner, then insurance brief about kit and life insurance for military.

Day 2:
6am wake up, form up outside at 6.45 (but really 6.40, 5 minute rule!)
March to breakfast.
Maths functional skills and then dental health brief.
March to lunch.
After lunch went on buses to visit the warehouses where we were told by Rocks (RAF Reg) about practical part of our basic, weapon handling, range day, "gas chamber" etc.
After march to the stores, with new boots and socks issue, fitting and trying them on, walking to the and of the stores and back.
After that march to the medical centre, fill in some forms, they called some ppl out, but most of us were falling asleep hugging out boots by that point...
After that back to the block for the evening brief, got our service numbers! Then on to dinner.
March back to the block, free time.

Day 3:
6am wake up, form up outside at 6.45 (5 minute rule!) Bring down your bedding.
March to breakfast.
Back to the classrooms for a brief on MOD portal and how to log in, as there is some studying to do before we come to BRTC, then on to do English functional skills. After you finish, go back to the block on your own.
Wait in the block (cleaning, hoovering in that time) until everyone is finished.
Then lunch, cleaning of the rooms, inspection. Some yelling
More cleaning.
Last brief and white coaches back to our respectable stations.

I think this is it, if someone remembers more, do let me know
(edited 9 years ago)
Entry 1 is 8 year old child. Level 1 is equivalent of D or below at GCSE level.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Thanks for that sounds good and be a help for quite a few people to know what to expect
Oh yeah and to add to the rules part. No phones either. Number of people got absolutely *******ed as their phones started ringing when we were lined up outside. The staff do not appreciate it at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Good level of fitness and common sense mainly what's required then! Is there a certain time for lights out and what did you do on night in free time? Have to stay in the room? And do they show you how to march or is it straight in to it?
Reply 5
Original post by chris-d-lpool
Oh yeah and to add to the rules part. No phones either. Number of people got absolutely *******ed as their phones started ringing when we were lined up outside. The staff do not appreciate it at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Rules added.
Reply 6
Original post by Carl25
Good level of fitness and common sense mainly what's required then! Is there a certain time for lights out and what did you do on night in free time? Have to stay in the room? And do they show you how to march or is it straight in to it?

Lights out are 22.30, lead man checks that everybody is in, but it is up to ppl in your room when you go to sleep, we stayed up till midnight on the last night :wink:

You only allowed to the small shop to buy sweets and fizzy drinks. Nothing to do outside but smoke, not even benches. We mainly stayed in and talked, joked, acquainted ourselves with each other, asked age, trade, BRTC dates, where from, the usual.

No real marching yet, that requires a lot of drill! Just walk in unison what Drill Sargent yells, in formation of 3 ranks, outstretched arm between person in front and on the side of you. Girls up front.
This is so interesting! Thanks for this :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Thanks for doing this, interesting read!
Original post by She_wolf
Lights out are 22.30, lead man checks that everybody is in, but it is up to ppl in your room when you go to sleep, we stayed up till midnight on the last night :wink:

You only allowed to the small shop to buy sweets and fizzy drinks. Nothing to do outside but smoke, not even benches. We mainly stayed in and talked, joked, acquainted ourselves with each other, asked age, trade, BRTC dates, where from, the usual.

No real marching yet, that requires a lot of drill! Just walk in unison what Drill Sargent yells, in formation of 3 ranks, outstretched arm between person in front and on the side of you. Girls up front.

Slightly pedantic. However a "Drill Sergeant" is an American military role. At Halton, the Cpl's that instruct each flight, plus a few of the Sgt's will be drill qualified. (DI - Drill Instructors). Your intake Cpl's will teach you all of your drill required to pass.

Just a heads up, don't call any of your staff drill sergeants when you start training or you will have the piss taken out of you though that's bound to happen anyway :wink:.
Reply 10
Thank u for this information, it helps.
Reply 11
Original post by She_wolf
So, passed PRTC, now roll on BRTC (24th of September for me)

I know some complained about waiting around a lot, but that is only natural, as a group of 100, we can't do everything at once. Didn't think it was that much of the waiting, and I was grateful for a bit of time between the aspects of the fitness test.
It was 6 groups in fitness test, girls run first, then we had to wait for everyone to run.
After that press ups with 6 PTIs, and we all queued up for them, those went quite quick, and same for sit ups, so definitely time to rest between.
BKSB was easy, they are kind of tool for diagnostic what level are you working at, we got from L1 to L3, but as long as you got at least L1, you were fine. As it is a level of normal 8 y.o. child Everyone passed.

Functional skills weren't hard either, I had to do L2 in both, and I think I passed, but wouldn't know for a month still. And yeah, if you fail both or one of them, you still in, you just come to your basic earlier and have tutorials, so you do pass.

Day 0:
We arrived on Tue afternoon, and were picked up at the Wendover (or Tring) station by white coach. Some drive, so obviously different for them.
After that we had briefing, got out bedding, sent to our rooms (14 ppl per room) had free time and went for dinner.
Marching everywhere! LEFT RIGHT LEFT! Drill sergeant loved it
After dinner back to barrack block, made beds, had free time.
Really have to watch out for rules, as quite few ppl were caught breaking them.

Rules:

No phones outside the block.
No going anywhere without PRTC badge.
No smoking during the working day, and after only in the smoking shed, even if you need to walk across half of Halton.
No casual clothing on the first night outside the block (if going outside, wear smart civilian clothing, like you do during the day)
Only allowed to go to the shop in the Newcomers club on the first night, thank God for Costa machine in there
Never walk on the parade square
Don't walk in big loud groups, small, quiet and smartly is the way.
Don't be late and have all intake and drill sergeant waiting for you
All males to be clean WET shaven every morning.
No make up or jewellery allowed apart from watch and wedding ring.
When in GYM never walk, always run.
No males allowed on female floor
Curfew after 22.30

Day 1:
6am wake up, form up outside at 6.45 (but really 6.40, 5 minute rule!) In out PE kit. No make up, no jewellery.
March to breakfast.
Fitness test straight after breakfast, so nobody ate much.
After that we were back to the block, given time to shower and change, then lunch.
After lunch basic skills tests, then dinner, then insurance brief about kit and life insurance for military.

Day 2:
6am wake up, form up outside at 6.45 (but really 6.40, 5 minute rule!)
March to breakfast.
Maths functional skills and then dental health brief.
March to lunch.
After lunch went on buses to visit the warehouses where we were told by Rocks (RAF Reg) about practical part of our basic, weapon handling, range day, "gas chamber" etc.
After march to the stores, with new boots and socks issue, fitting and trying them on, walking to the and of the stores and back.
After that march to the medical centre, fill in some forms, they called some ppl out, but most of us were falling asleep hugging out boots by that point...
After that back to the block for the evening brief, got our service numbers! Then on to dinner.
March back to the block, free time.

Day 3:
6am wake up, form up outside at 6.45 (5 minute rule!) Bring down your bedding.
March to breakfast.
Back to the classrooms for a brief on MOD portal and how to log in, as there is some studying to do before we come to BRTC, then on to do English functional skills. After you finish, go back to the block on your own.
Wait in the block (cleaning, hoovering in that time) until everyone is finished.
Then lunch, cleaning of the rooms, inspection. Some yelling
More cleaning.
Last brief and white coaches back to our respectable stations.

I think this is it, if someone remembers more, do let me know

Can you give me any tips on the BKSB and FS please? Really worried about them as I have to do my FS maths!

Quick Reply

Latest