Differences between AQ, BH, Hamas, Hizbollah and IS? Watch

UniOfLife
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Are there any significant differences in either ideology or theology between the various Islamist groups?
RF_PineMarten
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hezbollah is a shia islamist group in Lebanon. IS is a sunni extremist organisation operating in both Iraq and Syria. They're on opposing sides of the war in Syria, with Hezbollah backing Assad and IS fighting Assad (as well as other Syrian rebel groups).

Not sure about the others, but remember that some groups in different areas may have different political views. Al Shabaab in Somalia will probably differ from Hamas in Gaza due to being in different countries with different political situations.

They all tend to share a strong anti-west feeling. Some are more extreme than others.
TommeDeSavoie
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by RFowler)
Hezbollah is a shia islamist group in Lebanon. IS is a sunni extremist organisation operating in both Iraq and Syria. They're on opposing sides of the war in Syria, with Hezbollah backing Assad and IS fighting Assad (as well as other Syrian rebel groups).

Not sure about the others, but remember that some groups in different areas may have different political views. Al Shabaab in Somalia will probably differ from Hamas in Gaza due to being in different countries with different political situations.

They all tend to share a strong anti-west feeling. Some are more extreme than others.
This.

There's also methods used, obviously ISIS's (IS) methods are apparently quite scare tacticy, with things like burying alive and mass killing, Hamas tends to be small scale killings, torture and kidnapp, wheras IS is larger scale. All are reprehensible international law breaking organisations nonetheless.
interact
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
ISIS are yajooj and majooj, i.e. Gog and Magog, Christians are going to destroy them hopefully.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hezbollah are funded by Iran, they have a temporary alliance with Hamas being anti-Israel. BH are another Al Qaeda offshoot in the Sahara which is sadly infested.
UniOfLife
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
What are the practical differences between a Shia Islamist group and a Sunni Islamist group?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (139)
17.59%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
9.37%
No I am happy with my course choice (464)
58.73%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (113)
14.3%

Watched Threads