Turn on thread page Beta

The National Acaddemy of Gfted and Talented Youth watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm a member... It's a waste of time.

ReputationRep:
    My application is in the process of being processed... takes ages!! Summer schools and Outreach events look interesting.

Incidentally I'm applying through Mensa membership rather than school... school didn't pick me!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm a member and none of the day courses or summer schools really appeal to me, so it was a bit of a waste of time and money for me join. I think they have a website, have a look on it, and if you like the look of any of the courses, go for it. I don't think it cost that much to join, when I did, only about £12.

ReputationRep:
    It's free to join now!! (My confirmation came today actually, I just hadn't looked at the post yet!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suziii)
    I think they have a website
    www.warwick.ac.uk/gifted

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    No it isn't you fool.
    Of course, because the standard of teaching, class sizes, quality of class students, facilities, environment etc. is just as good. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    No it isn't you fool.
    Yes it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    Yes it is.

Read my post above.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    Yes it is.
    I'm in it and its crap.

I'm sure it probably useful for pre-16...but not for 16+

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    Of course, because the standard of teaching, class sizes, quality of class students, facilities, environment etc. is just as good. :rolleyes:
    You can't say it's a better achievement for the simple reason that YOU CAN'T GET HIGHER THAN AN A*.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    You can't say it's a better achievement for the simple reason that YOU CAN'T GET HIGHER THAN AN A*.
    I can say it's a better achivement because it is harder to achieve.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deianra)
    Yes you can - a Top Five mark.
    Still an A* though.

ReputationRep:
    Yes you can - a Top Five mark.
    What are you talking about? That doesn't count as being any higher than the highest grade, deianra.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    I can say it's a better achivement because it is harder to achieve.
    Firstly - no it isn't, not at selective grammar schools. Secondly, it doesn't matter how hard it was to achieve. You might suffer from severe mental disabilities and scrape an E in GCSE English but this E isn't worth any more than anyone else's E.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, but you can do better than 'simply an A*.'

And do you have to call me deianra? It's just a bit weird. Even bono calls me Meg on here :rolleyes:
    Stop splitting hairs in order to show off your "top five" in Textiles or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    Firstly - no it isn't, not at selective grammar schools. Secondly, it doesn't matter how hard it was to achieve. You might suffer from severe mental disabilities and scrape an E in GCSE English but this E isn't worth any more than anyone else's E.
    I said very good private schools.

I don't go back on what I said.

10A*'s from a state-school is a better achivement than 10A*'s from a good private school. Because it is harder to achive and requires more independant study.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    I said very good private schools.

I don't go back on what I said.

10A*'s from a state-school is a better achivement than 10A*'s from a good private school. Because it is harder to achive and requires more independant study.
    Yes, it's harder to achieve. But this doesn't make it worth more. Some people have to work 24 hours a day to get their A*s; others do next to nothing. But it doesn't make it worth more. Maybe to the individual, yes, but not intrinsically.

ReputationRep:
    Well yes, but according to you half of my A-level subjects aren't valid because they're sciences. "What's that all about?"
    If it isn't History then it isn't worth studying.

ReputationRep:
    Aren't we including facilities as well though? I'd like to point out that my school is rat infested and our corridors flood as the ceilings leak and we have to put out buckets when it rains.

Facilities are important. And we most certainly don't have a multi-million costing arts centre like you, Tekky :rolleyes:
    So, using Tek's logic, 10A*'s self taught is not a better achivement than 10A*'s from a good private school?

It's simply harder to achive and more impressive.

And to Tek: Yes, it would be a better achivement to overcome a mental disability to get an E, compared to someone who didn't have one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    So, using Tek's logic, 10A*'s self taught is not a better achivement than 10A*'s from a good private school?

It's simply harder to achive and more impressive.

And to Tek: Yes, it would be a better achivement to overcome a mental disability to get an E, compared to someone who didn't have one.
    Firstly you couldn't teach yourself GCSEs because you're required to be in school until the age of 16.

Secondly do you not understand the difference between effort and result? The result is the same, but the effort (which incidentally is impossible to quantify) is different. Again though, the overall result is the same.

Thirdly, even if private school students find it easier to get A*s, you can't bash their performace, because it is simply impossible to do any better than this. What more do you expect them to do?

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.