Turn on thread page Beta

The National Acaddemy of Gfted and Talented Youth watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    Yes. Rather than abolishing private schools - which is not only drastic but also fundamentally silly - would it not be better to instead reform University admissions?
    So it would be better to keep asking parents to pay (and in some places 'scrimp and save') to send their child to a private school than to improve provision of state schools?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    So it would be better to keep asking parents to pay (and in some places 'scrimp and save') to send their child to a private school than to improve provision of state schools?
    Well you're never going to be able to abolish private schools so reforming Uni admissions processes might be a better bet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    Well you're never going to be able to abolish private schools so reforming Uni admissions processes might be a better bet.
    Well we both agree that a reformation is in order! I'm not PM, so my views won't have my effect... for now at least!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    You can't say it's a better achievement for the simple reason that YOU CAN'T GET HIGHER THAN AN A*.
    Nevertheless it is still harder to get an A* in a state school, and you can work by statistics to show that a state school A* is harder to achieve than a public school A*, as, by ratios, fewer people from state schools get A*s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    Nevertheless it is still harder to get an A* in a state school, and you can work by statistics to show that a state school A* is harder to achieve than a public school A*, as, by ratios, fewer people from state schools get A*s.
    If you read the rest of the thread you'll find out that there isn't a level playing field, so to judge people in this way is unfair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deianra)
    On a completely different note, it's still amazing how bono can turn any thread into an anti-independents and grammar schools topic whilst Tek will still support his whole 'let's abolish all state schools' idea.

It's so cute! I love you two

Quite irrelevant, I know.
    Since when do I want to abolish private schools and grammars?

I was more critical of comprehensives in a way as I explained how crap they are.

I was simply saying that high grades from a comprehensive is harder to achive than high grades from a decent private school.

Personally I think that there should be fewer schools in England but of an overall higher standard.

The sheer masses who waste their years until the age of 16 and then leave 4 good is unbelievable.

I was commenting on the fact that people who achive good grades from comprehensives may have to work that bit harder to compensate for comprehensive schoolteaching/facilites/environment etc.

It was Tek who said that state schools should be abolished. (comprehensives I presume). I agree to an extent, providing that those who can't afford private school tuition (their parents) can instead go to a better school where the retards don't jeapordise their education.

It's not a case of "private schools are being unfair on comprehensive schoolers" it's more of a case of "private schools attain higher standards yet money is pumped into comprehensives to fund the ***** who will achive nothing."

there's the problem. Fewer schools, but of a higher standard would be better IMO.

I mean, think of the numbers in a state school who are actually serious about their education.

A typical, bog standard comprehensive. i.e.) worse than mine. I would say that it is below 25% in my experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deianra)
    Bono, chill.

The problem here is that you're simply ignoring what the other person is saying. Tek is simply talking about how an A* is always an A* (which is true, e.g. 90% = 90% anywhere) whereas you are talking about how great achieving an A* varies, depending on what school you go to. Now, to most university admissions offices, a 10 A*s comprehensive student will be valued a lot higher because of their life education experience and their greater achievement in gaining these qualifications but take a step back and it is true that the mark is still the same, no matter how much work people have still put in it.

No, it's not fair - nothing is. I would say I probably did a lot less work than most independent school candidates, but hey, I'm a happy state school girl. Et cetera. Sigh.

Tek is only joking about abolishing state schools. If he lived in Reading, am pretty sure he would have happily toddled off to the boys' grammar or whatnot (provided they would have him )
    I'm not ignoring him, I understand his argument that at the end of the day the grade is the same and obviously this is true. My point was that it is harder to achive this at a crap school due to the hinderance that one faces.

ReputationRep:
    Oh I just noticed this thread...I'm a member of NATGY! But I wonder how I can incorporate this in my UCAS form??? What can I say...? I'm also in mensa... :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovely_girl)
    Oh I just noticed this thread...I'm a member of NATGY! But I wonder how I can incorporate this in my UCAS form??? What can I say...? I'm also in mensa... :confused:
    get your referee to write it.

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.