The Student Room Group

Remarks

My friend missed her firm and she really hates her insurence so if her remark results are good enough and she meets her firm offer than what is the date which she needs to inform them to still get her place. She phoned the other day and they said they were full but if she gets the grades can they still turn around and say no. Is there some sort of ucas rules on this? :tsr2:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think that now they're more likely to give a deferred offer, as i don't think they have to give an offer for this cycle if you don't meet the terms by a specified date. Remarks are really unlikely to change your grade though (AQA lists it as 1% of remarks resulting in a change of grade). I'm in this position, and my uni said that if i met the terms of my offer by the start of term then they'd give me a place, but couldn't guarantee accommodation.
thanks but i'm sure i've heard it several times that they must give the offer if the grades are met :frown:
Reply 3
They have to accept you if you meet the conditions by August 31st. So start hoping the remark results come back tomorrow.
Reply 4
so if your remarks go up, but your firm uni still wont accept you just because you dont get the remark back by aug 31, isnt that all the examination board's fault for being slow/ being wrong in the first place
Reply 5
Well, you could argue it was the person's fault for not getting the grade in the first place. Marking isnt an exact science, otherwise we'd all be answering yes/no questions for 3 hours for every exam. Theres bound to be a variation in the amount of marks the examiners give.

Universities cant hold conditional places forever, but i think i heard that if you meet the offer and they cant fit you in they try to offer you a place the next year?
Well, you could argue it was the person's fault for not getting the grade in the first place. Marking isnt an exact science, otherwise we'd all be answering yes/no questions for 3 hours for every exam. Theres bound to be a variation in the amount of marks the examiners give.

Universities cant hold conditional places forever, but i think i heard that if you meet the offer and they cant fit you in they try to offer you a place the next year?

err...do you understand what a remark is? thats the thing..the DID get the grade.
Reply 7
yeah, i dont think he understood my question... (sorry)
i know someone who lost their uni place because of the exam board taking so long. argh i hate exam boards.
Only 19% of remarks result in an increase in a candidates result.

If she doesn't receive her results today (if they go up) then the universities are no obliged to give her a place.
I've had 4 remarks in the past and every single one went up :O

anyway my friend hasn't gone up enough to get to the next grade :frown:
Reply 11
pingu_the_penguin
err...do you understand what a remark is? thats the thing..the DID get the grade.

Of course i understand what a remark is, but a lot of people request a remark hoping for a slightly increased grade simply because of the difference between examiners. If theres an obvious problem with the marking then obviously thats an exam board issue, but if youre remarking because you are one or two points below the required grade then its not really the exam boards fault. Another examiner might see your answer in a slightly different way and give you a couple more points but it certainly shouldnt be seen as the exam boards fault that one examiner gave it one mark and another a slightly different one. The exam board probably have thousands of people wanting their papers remarked and the last thing they want to do is rush them and make another mistake (if they made one in the first place), the issue is probably more the deadline of August 31st, or the fact we take exams too late or get our results too late, which leaves little room for appeal. So no, to answer hustler's question, i dont think it is the exam boards fault.
Reply 12
Of course i understand what a remark is, but a lot of people request a remark hoping for a slightly increased grade simply because of the difference between examiners. If theres an obvious problem with the marking then obviously thats an exam board issue, but if youre remarking because you are one or two points below the required grade then its not really the exam boards fault. Another examiner might see your answer in a slightly different way and give you a couple more points but it certainly shouldnt be seen as the exam boards fault that one examiner gave it one mark and another a slightly different one. The exam board probably have thousands of people wanting their papers remarked and the last thing they want to do is rush them and make another mistake (if they made one in the first place), the issue is probably more the deadline of August 31st, or the fact we take exams too late or get our results too late, which leaves little room for appeal. So no, to answer hustler's question, i dont think it is the exam boards fault.

You're completely wrong. Why then do the exam board not charge if the result goes up? because in that case, the paper has been marked incorrectly. Is that the candidate's fault? no.
Reply 13
worldwide
You're completely wrong. Why then do the exam board not charge if the result goes up? because in that case, the paper has been marked incorrectly. Is that the candidate's fault? no.

I still dont think they've been marked incorrectly, just differently. If i sent all my exam papers back to be remarked i doubt they'd all come back with the same grade. Does that mean they were marked incorrectly? I dont think so, i think its just what happens with the exam system we have.
Reply 14
well either way the candidate is a borderline scorer and the uni may have offered their places to others who have scored much better
Reply 15
cool nerd
well either way the candidate is a borderline scorer and the uni may have offered their places to others who have scored much better

to be honest, it's quite hard to score a lot better and still miss the offer.
Reply 16
What if someone has already met their offer, but got a remark, and found their grade actually went down after the 31st august, do the uni still have to accept them?
Reply 17
The grade cant go down, highest mark is the one that counts.
Reply 18
The grade cant go down, highest mark is the one that counts.

If you get it remarked, the grade CAN go down.
Reply 19
Really? You'd have to wonder why someone that had already met their offer would risk it then.

Latest

Trending

Trending