AQA Statistics A-level thread 2014/2015

Watch
AudiophileSam
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Who's sitting A-level Statistics? What made you choose A-level Statistics? Are you a Stats boff?

Feel free to help each other

I'm sitting A-level Statistics as of September 2014, I am taking it as a fourth subject. I believe it will help me with A-level Maths S1. My favourite areas of the syllabus are skewness, normal approximations and poisson distribution
AudiophileSam
Rep:
?
Bump: Four Statistics exams sounds fun right? lul
NathalieGW
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm considering taking A-level Statistics, what does the specification look like for you? Easy, medium, hard?
AudiophileSam
Rep:
?
(Original post by NathalieGW)
I'm considering taking A-level Statistics, what does the specification look like for you? Easy, medium, hard?
In my opinion its a medium level of difficulty overall but there are harder topics such as poisson distribution, the use of sigma notation in given context, skewness, applications etc I base this opinion on studying through statistics books and the spec through last month

S3 is the hardest module, there is the introduction the application contingency e.g *(E-u) and the Mann test

Does your sixth form or college actually cater A-level statistics as many don't and so your options or privileged of doing are rather limited access
NathalieGW
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by AudiophileSam)
In my opinion its a medium level of difficulty overall but there are harder topics such as poisson distribution, the use of sigma notation in given context, skewness, applications etc I base this opinion on studying through statistics books and the spec through last month

S3 is the hardest module, there is the introduction the application contingency e.g *(E-u) and the Mann test

Does your sixth form or college actually cater A-level statistics as many don't and so your options or privileged of doing are rather limited access
I'm starting year 11 in September, you don't have to do an A-level at your college or sixth-form. You can self-teach and pay to sit the exams at an education centre, you could also pay for teaching packs if desired

I will look at the specification myself and perhaps purchase an A-level Statistics book to see if I feel that it's right for me. I find Skewness quite easy could you explain to me what the 'Mann test' is? Are you looking forward to starting AS Statistics?
AudiophileSam
Rep:
?
I'm starting year 11 in September, you don't have to do an A-level at your college or sixth-form. You can self-teach and pay to sit the exams at an education centre, you could also pay for teaching packs if desired

I will look at the specification myself and perhaps purchase an A-level Statistics book to see if I feel that it's right for me. I find Skewness quite easy could you explain to me what the 'Mann test' is? Are you looking forward to starting AS Statistics?
Most people don't want to do that as they are too lazy or incapable of teaching themselves to that level.

It's test used when two outcomes are the same against an alternative. The sample which appears to rank smaller od sample 1 and the other sample is sample 2, you then count the number of observations and half them, the sum is known as U
NathalieGW
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Most people don't want to do that as they are too lazy or incapable of teaching themselves to that level.

It's test used when two outcomes are the same against an alternative. The sample which appears to rank smaller od sample 1 and the other sample is sample 2, you then count the number of observations and half them, the sum is known as U
I'm not must people though :P
AudiophileSam
Rep:
?
I'm not must people though :P
Most* XD
NathalieGW
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Most* XD
Yes. I made a typo
AudiophileSam
Rep:
?
Yes. I made a typo
You were corrected by a C grade English student :P
yusuf_777
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm doing it really hope thread stays active
AudiophileSam
Rep:
?
(Original post by yusuf_777)
I'm doing it really hope thread stays active
Me too, how can we make if more active? :rolleyes:

What made you choose it? And are you looking forward to it?

I've been on holiday so I only saw your post today
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (150)
54.74%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (38)
13.87%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (31)
11.31%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (26)
9.49%
I haven't started researching yet (16)
5.84%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
4.74%

Watched Threads