The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TornadoGR4
I have never wanted to rep a post more than I have right now, you've hit the nail on the head bang on. PRSOM.

Exactly.

Someone thinking that they can somehow judge what is safe and reasonable for the conditions better than people who spend a very long time doing detailed tests to work it out, are just plain arrogant.
You can't possibly know that the speed you have chosen is safer than the limit. Unless you have done tests on the road itself, the braking distances, etc yourself, you are simply guessing. Guessing is not good enough, and can kill people.
Reply 61
Why all this infatuation with speed? I enjoy driving. Drive a bit slower and I enjoy it for longer. And by the time I reach the next queue it will be a shorter queue. I never tailgate - don't see the point.
Original post by Emaemmaemily
Exactly.

Someone thinking that they can somehow judge what is safe and reasonable for the conditions better than people who spend a very long time doing detailed tests to work it out, are just plain arrogant.
You can't possibly know that the speed you have chosen is safer than the limit. Unless you have done tests on the road itself, the braking distances, etc yourself, you are simply guessing. Guessing is not good enough, and can kill people.

Right, so if you're driving down a 60mph country road in the fog and icy conditions with poor headlights, you'd still go at 60mph because there is no possible way that your judgement of a safe speed could possibly be more accurate than these experts that made the speed limit 60?

If that is really true, you should hand in your driving licence tomorrow before you kill someone.

Personally, I might reduce my speed to something more appropriate like 30mph. How incredibly arrogant of me to think that perhaps the great omniscient experts didn't anticipate this exact situation when designating the road a 60mph limit.

They don't do detailed tests anyway, they don't do any tests whatsoever. You're extremely naive if you think they do.

What a magical coincidence it is that safe and appropriate speeds always happen to be multiples of 10. :rolleyes:
Original post by cole-slaw
Right, so if you're driving down a 60mph country road in the fog and icy conditions with poor headlights, you'd still go at 60mph because there is no possible way that your judgement of a safe speed could possibly be more accurate than these experts that made the speed limit 60?

If that is really true, you should hand in your driving licence tomorrow before you kill someone.

Personally, I might reduce my speed to something more appropriate like 30mph. How incredibly arrogant of me to think that perhaps the great omniscient experts didn't anticipate this exact situation when designating the road a 60mph limit.

They don't do detailed tests anyway, they don't do any tests whatsoever. You're extremely naive if you think they do.

What a magical coincidence it is that safe and appropriate speeds always happen to be multiples of 10. :rolleyes:

60mph is a maximum, not a guideline for all conditions. The maximum speed you can do in the best conditions.
You slow to go around corners, and you slow if conditions change for the worse.

That really isn't the same as saying you have guessed that actually, its safe to drive in a residential area at 50mph instead of the max 30. (for example).

You think no tests have been done to determine which speeds are safest on certain types of roads and in particular surroundings? A lot of tests have been done.

Anyone that thinks their guess is better than expert opinions is just plain wrong.
Reply 64
Exactly.

Tests that were done in what,. 1750? Cars back when speed limits were introduced were VASTLY different from what they are now. How many people do you know who drive a Ford Anglia?

Most decent modern cars brake in less than HALF the stopping distance of those mentioned in the highway code. A lot of cars do it in a third. Same story for the fatality rates etc. They are vastly different these days from the published rates.
Original post by samba
Tests that were done in what,. 1750? Cars back when speed limits were introduced were VASTLY different from what they are now. How many people do you know who drive a Ford Anglia?

Most decent modern cars brake in less than HALF the stopping distance of those mentioned in the highway code. A lot of cars do it in a third. Same story for the fatality rates etc. They are vastly different these days from the published rates.

Speed limits can change. It's not a case of once they're set they're set for good. In fact, two different roads on my way to work have both been lowered from 40mph to 30mph (Although I don't really see why, it's not a built up area). Whether anyone likes it or not, it's the law. And if you're caught going over the speed limit then you deserve the penalty that comes with that.

https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits
You mustn’t drive faster than the speed limit for the type of road and your type of vehicle. The speed limit is the absolute maximum and it doesn’t mean it’s safe to drive at this speed in all conditions.
Reply 66
Speed limits can change. It's not a case of once they're set they're set for good. In fact, two different roads on my way to work have both been lowered from 40mph to 30mph (Although I don't really see why, it's not a built up area). Whether anyone likes it or not, it's the law. And if you're caught going over the speed limit then you deserve the penalty that comes with that.

I'm not arguing whether it's 'the law' or whether I speed and collect speeding tickets. 'The law' isn't a good argument in debate about road safety or 'right' though, unless perhaps your government is IS, in which case you may get beheaded for dissenting. The law on homosexuality in several countries mentions executions...

Motorway speed limits haven't changed for eons. Stuff like snake pass/a-roads obviously change in response to accident rates. Just because it's 'the law' doesn't mean 'you deserve it' either. I'd far rather somebody got a penalty for tailgating or driving with minimum tire tread than for doing 85 on the M6.

Thanks for the quote by the way; totally wasn't aware of that.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by samba
I'm not arguing whether it's 'the law' or whether I speed and collect speeding tickets. 'The law' isn't a good argument in debate about road safety or 'right' though, unless perhaps your government is IS, in which case you may get beheaded for dissenting. The law on homosexuality in several countries mentions executions...

Motorway speed limits haven't changed for eons. Stuff like snake pass/a-roads obviously change in response to accident rates. Just because it's 'the law' doesn't mean 'you deserve it' either. I'd far rather somebody got a penalty for tailgating or driving with minimum tire tread than for doing 85 on the M6.

Thanks for the quote by the way; totally wasn't aware of that.

I don't know why you've mentioned IS. Either way, regarding the bold part, I think it is 100% justified. If you willingly travel above the designated speed limit, get caught and are subsequently punished, then you can't really argue against it. "Well I think the speed limit is wrong" wouldn't hold up very well in court. But this is stumbling off-topic from the thread now, I've said my bit and whilst I may not agree with your views, I respect your right to voice them :auto:
Reply 68
I don't know why you've mentioned IS. Either way, regarding the bold part, I think it is 100% justified. If you willingly travel above the designated speed limit, get caught and are subsequently punished, then you can't really argue against it. "Well I think the speed limit is wrong" wouldn't hold up very well in court. But this is stumbling off-topic from the thread now, I've said my bit and whilst I may not agree with your views, I respect your right to voice them :auto:

Because if you dissent from 'the law' there, they behead you. Do you think homosexuals who practice gay sex in countries where it's outlawed are '100% justifiably" executed?

Just because you can't argue against something in court, doesn't mean you have to be a sheep and promote it as 'right'

Here's a sheep, just in case you're unsure what that is: :sheep:

I didn't say I'm a serial speeder; but just because I keep to the limit because I don't want fined/banned doesn't mean I have to agree with it.
Original post by samba

Speed limits have changed vastly since 1750, and indeed since 1960 when the stopping distances were tested and introduced. We are not just arguing official stopping distances though, we are talking about speed.
Do you have proof that all modern cars stop in less then half of the stopping distances mentioned? If it's not ALL cars, then that's not good enough to warrant speeding.

Again, although you're talking about things being out of date and alike, you still haven't addressed my actual point. Even if you can prove to me that the government set speeds are clearly wrong as the safest maximum on a road, you can't prove to me that your chosen speed (which you guess upon arrival) is better.
It's the guessing that I disagree with. You can't possibly know from your guess that you've chosen the safest speed at all, and as such you are putting lives in danger.

But, it is clear that we are not going to come to any understanding. So perhaps we should leave the conversation where it is.
60mph is a maximum, not a guideline for all conditions. The maximum speed you can do in the best conditions.
You slow to go around corners, and you slow if conditions change for the worse.

That really isn't the same as saying you have guessed that actually, its safe to drive in a residential area at 50mph instead of the max 30. (for example).

You think no tests have been done to determine which speeds are safest on certain types of roads and in particular surroundings? A lot of tests have been done.

Anyone that thinks their guess is better than expert opinions is just plain wrong.

"expert opinions"

Who are these experts? There are no such experts. The speed limits are set according to a simple formula devised in the 1960s. There are no trials, in fact very little thought goes into setting speed limits whatsoever. 99% of roads still have the same speed limit as they had 50 years ago, despite radical changes in technology and demographics.

And for this very reason, the maximum safe speed for a road almost never coincides with the speed limit. Anyone out there in the conditions could make a far more accurate assessment than the limit predicted by the simplistic and inflexible formula 50 years ago. It would be absolutely incredible if this were anything but the case.
"expert opinions"

Who are these experts? There are no such experts. The speed limits are set according to a simple formula devised in the 1960s. There are no trials, in fact very little thought goes into setting speed limits whatsoever. 99% of roads still have the same speed limit as they had 50 years ago, despite radical changes in technology and demographics.

And for this very reason, the maximum safe speed for a road almost never coincides with the speed limit. Anyone out there in the conditions could make a far more accurate assessment than the limit predicted by the simplistic and inflexible formula 50 years ago. It would be absolutely incredible if this were anything but the case.

Yet again, you have not answered my actual point at all.
I made it quite clear that while you may be able to show that the set speed limits are wrong (which you haven't done, but that doesn't matter), you can't prove to me that your guess as a driver is the right speed. Guessing when you arrive on a road is even worse than using their "formula", because it is just a guess.
Guessing is just not good enough.

But, as I've said. We may as well end the conversation here rather than going around in circles. Have a good day.
OP: CONGRATs on passing and all the best for future driving. I drive with a baby on board and daily have a car up my arse (i do bang on the speed limit); i will see people flash their lights / give w*nker signs to get me to hurry up. I think it is disgusting, just the other day the road split and the chap behind me came past, i pointed to the baby and he told me to f off and gave me a middle finger. This is just the tip of the iceberg, just stick to your guns !!! Good luck
Yet again, you have not answered my actual point at all.
I made it quite clear that while you may be able to show that the set speed limits are wrong (which you haven't done, but that doesn't matter), you can't prove to me that your guess as a driver is the right speed. Guessing when you arrive on a road is even worse than using their "formula", because it is just a guess.
Guessing is just not good enough.

But, as I've said. We may as well end the conversation here rather than going around in circles. Have a good day.

Its not a guess, its an informed assessment based on the conditions.

All I have to show is that I have more information at my disposal to make an accurate assessment than the bureaucrat in an office in whitehall setting the speed limit 50 years ago.

Which is not exactly hard to do, unless that person was the greatest clairvoyant known to mankind.

The Great Nostrodamus predicts that it will rain on the A34 on tuesday the 10th August and at 11pm there will be a vauxhall astra with good tyres making its way down this road, the safest maximum speed limit for which will be 64.3mph.

AMAZING
Original post by GangBang
OP: CONGRATs on passing and all the best for future driving. I drive with a baby on board and daily have a car up my arse (i do bang on the speed limit); i will see people flash their lights / give w*nker signs to get me to hurry up. I think it is disgusting, just the other day the road split and the chap behind me came past, i pointed to the baby and he told me to f off and gave me a middle finger. This is just the tip of the iceberg, just stick to your guns !!! Good luck

If people are acting like this behind you, BY FAR the safest action you can take is to pull over and let them past.

Especially if you have a baby on board, don't take chances with your kid's life to try and prove some kind of point to dickheads.

I know its hard to turn the other cheek and be the big man, but you have a baby on board for god sake! Pull over man!
Its not a guess, its an informed assessment based on the conditions.

All I have to show is that I have more information at my disposal to make an accurate assessment than the bureaucrat in an office in whitehall setting the speed limit 50 years ago.

Which is not exactly hard to do, unless that person was the greatest clairvoyant known to mankind.

The Great Nostrodamus predicts that it will rain on the A34 on tuesday the 10th August and at 11pm there will be a vauxhall astra with good tyres making its way down this road, the safest maximum speed limit for which will be 64.3mph.

AMAZING

Unless you are making very informed calculations for every road you use, then you are guessing. Which isn't good enough.
However, I've stated twice now that I'd like to leave the conversation where it is. So let's do that.
Unless you are making very informed calculations for every road you use, then you are guessing. Which isn't good enough.
However, I've stated twice now that I'd like to leave the conversation where it is. So let's do that.

There is no "Good enough", there is either a better assessment than the bloke 50 years ago in an office 200 miles away, or worse.

Clearly, it is a better assessment because you have more information at your disposal.
There is no "Good enough", there is either a better assessment than the bloke 50 years ago in an office 200 miles away, or worse.

Clearly, it is a better assessment because you have more information at your disposal.

I disagree, as you've provided zero proof. But as we're just going in circles, let's end the conversation here.
(I'm finding it hard to believe that I'm having to say that for a 4th time. I won't be replying any more, because going around in circles is extremely boring).
I disagree, as you've provided zero proof. But as we're just going in circles, let's end the conversation here.
(I'm finding it hard to believe that I'm having to say that for a 4th time. I won't be replying any more, because going around in circles is extremely boring).

What proof do you want? I've offered a clear and coherent explanation, and no-one has attempted to refute it.

You realise you don't have to say you're not going to reply, just don't reply if you don't want to say anything.
What proof do you want? I've offered a clear and coherent explanation, and no-one has attempted to refute it.

You realise you don't have to say you're not going to reply, just don't reply if you don't want to say anything.

You keep asking questions.
But yes, I'm going to leave it here. Goodbye.

Latest

Trending

Trending