The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cole-slaw
Its not a guess, its an informed assessment based on the conditions.

All I have to show is that I have more information at my disposal to make an accurate assessment than the bureaucrat in an office in whitehall setting the speed limit 50 years ago.

Which is not exactly hard to do, unless that person was the greatest clairvoyant known to mankind.

The Great Nostrodamus predicts that it will rain on the A34 on tuesday the 10th August and at 11pm there will be a vauxhall astra with good tyres making its way down this road, the safest maximum speed limit for which will be 64.3mph.

AMAZING

Unfortunately, your argument is flawed on three counts. First, the limit wasn't set in Whitehall; it was set by (usually locally-based) traffic safety experts who inspected the road. Secondly, the people who set the limit were knowledgeable in their role and fully trained, unlike you. Thirdly, having more information does not guarantee that you can make a better assessment. For instance, young people have undeveloped risk assessment skills, which is one reason they have far more road accidents than older people.
Reply 81
I have a telematics box fit to my car so generally keep to the speed limit or very slightly over it. I'm used to the tailgaiting but on a couple of occasions, I've been hooted and flashed at to either pull over or speed up.

Both times I slowed down to piss them off even more - probably not the best idea but it's too hard to resist :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Wow people on this thread are complete *****! Sorry you can tailgate me all you like but if the limit is 30 I'm doing 30-33, if a police car suddenly goes past and sees me speeding I'm not getting points on my licence and a fine just because YOU want to break the limit.

P.s. if you tailgate and someone stops in front of you and you go into the back of them, YOUR insurance covers it. Idiots.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Good bloke
Unfortunately, your argument is flawed on three counts. First, the limit wasn't set in Whitehall; it was set by (usually locally-based) traffic safety experts who inspected the road. Secondly, the people who set the limit were knowledgeable in their role and fully trained, unlike you. Thirdly, having more information does not guarantee that you can make a better assessment. For instance, young people have undeveloped risk assessment skills, which is one reason they have far more road accidents than older people.

Amazing how ALL these local experts agreed on multiples of 10. Oh no, thats nonsense. Hence the reason speed limits in London are identical to Penrith, because they were centrally set, 50 years ago.

And its STILL one limit to cover all conditions. The limit does not change with the weather and time of day, which implies its probably wrong at least 90% of the time.
Amazing how ALL these local experts agreed on multiples of 10. Oh no, thats nonsense. Hence the reason speed limits in London are identical to Penrith, because they were centrally set, 50 years ago.

And its STILL one limit to cover all conditions. The limit does not change with the weather and time of day, which implies its probably wrong at least 90% of the time.

You haven't considered the possibility that speed limits are always a multiple of 10 in order to save money on sign manufacture and so as not to confuse the motorist with information that requires too much processing at a time when their attention is required on the road then?

The limit is just that, an upper limit, calculated for the best conditions. It is not a goal that drivers should aim at.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Good bloke
You haven't considered the possibility that speed limits are always a multiple of 10 in order to save money on sign manufacture and so as not to confuse the motorist with information that requires too much processing at a time when their attention is required on the road then?

The limit is just that, an upper limit, calculated for the best conditions. It is not a goal that drivers should aim at.

I'm aware of that, but that implies that ON AVERAGE they're something like 3mph out in one direction or another.

The speeds limits are not calculated for best conditions at all, otherwise they would not be lower around schools. Some are calculated for best conditions, some for worst conditions but most probably for average conditions.

Either way, they're almost always wrong by definition.
I'm aware of that, but that implies that ON AVERAGE they're something like 3mph out in one direction or another.

The speeds limits are not calculated for best conditions at all, otherwise they would not be lower around schools. Some are calculated for best conditions, some for worst conditions but most probably for average conditions.

Either way, they're almost always wrong by definition.

Only by your obviously ill-informed definition and poor logic.
Reply 87
You deserve to be tailgated if you're doing below 25 in a 30 zone or below 35 in a 40 zone. Otherwise, it's bad practice.
Huh what point am i trying to prove? I am just driving around town doing the speed limit and they are up my arse, just to clarify it isn't me swearing!

I have worked all over the south of england (driving) and find the town i live in now the most agressive, i'd be pulling over every few cars if i did this lol
If people are acting like this behind you, BY FAR the safest action you can take is to pull over and let them past.

Especially if you have a baby on board, don't take chances with your kid's life to try and prove some kind of point to dickheads.

I know its hard to turn the other cheek and be the big man, but you have a baby on board for god sake! Pull over man!
Reply 89
Original post by Emaemmaemily
Speed limits have changed vastly since 1750, and indeed since 1960 when the stopping distances were tested and introduced. We are not just arguing official stopping distances though, we are talking about speed.
Do you have proof that all modern cars stop in less then half of the stopping distances mentioned? If it's not ALL cars, then that's not good enough to warrant speeding.

Again, although you're talking about things being out of date and alike, you still haven't addressed my actual point. Even if you can prove to me that the government set speeds are clearly wrong as the safest maximum on a road, you can't prove to me that your chosen speed (which you guess upon arrival) is better.
It's the guessing that I disagree with. You can't possibly know from your guess that you've chosen the safest speed at all, and as such you are putting lives in danger.

But, it is clear that we are not going to come to any understanding. So perhaps we should leave the conversation where it is.

Look up the top gear old banger challenge I think it was called. Basically they used some crappy old cars from about 1990, and all were significantly better. I don't think it's a big stretch to say that modern cars stop faster than in 1990.

And no, it doesn't 'warrant' speeding, but the government can't prove that their limits are better or safer than say, 10mph faster on a motorway. Of course they are in the sense that if everybody travelled 5mph all the time we'd have barely any fatalities, but the causation between speed and accidents is becoming ever more tentative. As an example, my new car has multi directional radar; I'll see a pedestrian on the motorway in the dark over 100 metres away which I could never have done in my old car. My car has collision avoidance. If I'm going to hit the obstacle it'll calculate the vehicles around me and take evasive action/break. It has distance control; if I get too close to the car in front it'll ease off the speed, if the one behind gets too close it'll increase it. It'll flash warning lights, tension seat belts, and brake if needed. My guessing has nothing to do with it; the vehicles systems calculate everything and tell me exactly what's going on. The new version of my car will even have reverse thrusters.

It's eminently safer for me to be doing 85 in my new car than 70 in my old one. For everybody, not just for me. Speed limits on motorways need addressed, and have done for years. That said, if I'm trying to do 85 in rush hour, heavy rain, or fog, I'm simply an idiot. I personally hate being close to other cars, especially on motorways/a-roads, so keep a long way away. However I'm not adverse to speeding on them.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by samba
Look up the top gear old banger challenge I think it was called. Basically they used some crappy old cars from about 1990, and all were significantly better. I don't think it's a big stretch to say that modern cars stop faster than in 1990.

And no, it doesn't 'warrant' speeding, but the government can't prove that their limits are better or safer than say, 10mph faster on a motorway. Of course they are in the sense that if everybody travelled 5mph all the time we'd have barely any fatalities, but the causation between speed and accidents is becoming ever more tentative. As an example, my new car has multi directional radar; I'll see a pedestrian on the motorway in the dark over 100 metres away which I could never have done in my old car. My car has collision avoidance. If I'm going to hit the obstacle it'll calculate the vehicles around me and take evasive action/break. It has distance control; if I get too close to the car in front it'll ease off the speed, if the one behind gets too close it'll increase it. It'll flash warning lights, tension seat belts, and brake if needed. My guessing has nothing to do with it; the vehicles systems calculate everything and tell me exactly what's going on. The new version of my car will even have reverse thrusters.

It's eminently safer for me to be doing 85 in my new car than 70 in my old one. For everybody, not just for me. Speed limits on motorways need addressed, and have done for years. That said, if I'm trying to do 85 in rush hour, heavy rain, or fog, I'm simply an idiot. I personally hate being close to other cars, especially on motorways/a-roads, so keep a long way away. However I'm not adverse to speeding on them.

I wasn't talking about motorways at all, so the majority of this doesn't contribute to my points.

But as I've expressed very clearly several times that I'd like to not continue in this conversation, I'd appreciate everyone please not quoting me further.
Original post by arson_fire
To be fair, it`s a bit arrogant to just come in to a thread, post factually incorrect and incredibly patronising things, and when people point that out insist that people don`t reply to you..............

I haven't said anything factually incorrect, I've posted my opinion on the topic. I also have not been patronising at all.

I replied quite a lot when a user decided to disagree with me. We had a lengthy debate about the topic. But, we reached the point where it was going around in circles, and we were both simply repeating ourselves.
It's clearly down to a matter of opinion, and to save us going round and round repeating ourselves and becoming agitated, I decided to just leave the conversation where it is.
That's actually a mature way to end a disagreement that isn't going anywhere. I've been very polite about it, and have wished people a nice day and such.
Other people have posted on here since then, wishing to argue the points I was making, so I'm sure they would be happy to reply if you quoted them instead.
Original post by arson_fire
You certainly are - you`ve stated a number of times about the detailed tests on road surfaces and stopping distances that are carried out when setting speed limits, which is simply not true. I respect your right to have an opinion, but if you go around making stuff up then expect to get called on it. If I was telling people on here that A-levels take 3 years you would no doubt call me on it.

And it certainly is patronising to say that the average driver is incapable of deciding what is a safe speed for a stretch of road when the authorities rely heavily on the judgement of these same drivers when they assess the speed limit in the first place!

Reply or not, i`m not bothered. But i`m not going to tell other users whether they are "allowed" to respond to me or not.

I haven't told anyone what they are allowed to do, read it again. I've very politely said I'd appreciate not being quoted again.
Don't see how that could be said in a more polite way, I just don't wish to continue on this subject.
Original post by Emaemmaemily
I haven't told anyone what they are allowed to do, read it again. I've very politely said I'd appreciate not being quoted again.
Don't see how that could be said in a more polite way, I just don't wish to continue on this subject.

Because you've been called out on saying incorrect things.

Posted from TSR Mobile
if you're on a country road and there are literally no cars about and are going 30-40 than I would expect anybody to overtake, so frustrating when in my nan's car who lives in spain and she just goes so bloody slow
Original post by live_a_life
Because you've been called out on saying incorrect things.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, I wasn't. I'm not the only person who said those things.
I just have better things to do than continue in circles. I've tried to say lets agree to disagree, and leave it on good terms. There is no need for anyone to be continuing with this.
Around town I'm happy to obey all limits. Too many Plod and cameras, plus all you do is get to the next hold-up sooner and wait longer as everyone catches you up. Better to cruise towards hold-ups hoping they clear as you get there, saving fuel and a lot of wear'n'tear.

Out in the countryside however there's fun to be had.
Reply 97
Your speedo is probably 5-10mph slow.

It isn't, but I did suspect this at first tbh

Original post by Y333EEE
Do you live in Southampton by any chance? Been there once and the locals treat the city like a race track

Nah, Birmingham. It tends to be the closer I get towards the city centre, the more pissed off other road users get, I don't know why just seems like everyone is really angry. I did actually go to Southampton with a few of my friends once, didn't notice anything too crazy on the roads but it wasn't me driving and I had pretty much no road awareness at the time

Original post by GangBang
OP: CONGRATs on passing and all the best for future driving. I drive with a baby on board and daily have a car up my arse (i do bang on the speed limit); i will see people flash their lights / give w*nker signs to get me to hurry up. I think it is disgusting, just the other day the road split and the chap behind me came past, i pointed to the baby and he told me to f off and gave me a middle finger. This is just the tip of the iceberg, just stick to your guns !!! Good luck

Haha thanks mate. I still seriously don't understand the aggression of some road users. Before I started learning how to drive I wouldn't have believed that a guy cursed you for sticking to the limits even with your kid in the back but having been at this for a couple weeks it's not even remotely surprising to me. I'm honestly too focused on watching the road and listening to my music to be worried about some idiot shouting through their closed window at me for not doing 60 on a 40, usually end up rolling right behind/next to them at the next set of lights or roundabout anyway
Original post by GangBang
Huh what point am i trying to prove? I am just driving around town doing the speed limit and they are up my arse, just to clarify it isn't me swearing!

I have worked all over the south of england (driving) and find the town i live in now the most agressive, i'd be pulling over every few cars if i did this lol

If you're driving round causing anger from "every few cars", then you're definitely doing something wrong you're not telling us.

I would ask for advice from an experienced driver if I were you.
Reply 99
If people are acting like this behind you, BY FAR the safest action you can take is to pull over and let them past.

cole-slaw, have you actually tried this? Do you ever drive at the speed limit and experience the tailgating, flashing, and gesticulation? If you tried this for very long you would realise that to 'pull over' is pointless. You would be pulling over constantly, and journeys would take forever.

Since the introduction of speed cameras the majority of drivers seem a bit more tolerant of us obeying the limit, but tailgating is still rife. I just ignore them behind, but it takes a thick skin.

Latest

Trending

Trending