The Student Room Group

Is it possible to still get in if I narrowly miss grade with conditional offer?

I have recieved a conditional offer from Plymouth University to study Computer Science. This is the only university I want to attend and the only course I want to study. I won't go into the reasons why. Anyway, my conditional offer states that I need a grade DDM in BTEC IT Level 3 and C grade GCSE Maths.

I have passed every single unit in IT at Distinction level which would give me a D*D*D*. However, I have retaken GCSE Maths in order to try and get a grade C.

Of course, I understand that the answers are not definite and known but I was wondering, is it possible to get onto the course if I slightly missed my GCSE grade? Even with a conditional offer? If I do miss it, we are literally talking a few marks here. I don't quite understand the whole process. If I happen to get a D grade again, will I be able to negotiate my way in? If I have made any mistakes in posting this, I do apologise in advance. Thank you.
Original post by Maverick594
I have recieved a conditional offer from Plymouth University to study Computer Science. This is the only university I want to attend and the only course I want to study. I won't go into the reasons why. Anyway, my conditional offer states that I need a grade DDM in BTEC IT Level 3 and C grade GCSE Maths.

I have passed every single unit in IT at Distinction level which would give me a D*D*D*. However, I have retaken GCSE Maths in order to try and get a grade C.

Of course, I understand that the answers are not definite and known but I was wondering, is it possible to get onto the course if I slightly missed my GCSE grade? Even with a conditional offer? If I do miss it, we are literally talking a few marks here. I don't quite understand the whole process. If I happen to get a D grade again, will I be able to negotiate my way in? If I have made any mistakes in posting this, I do apologise in advance. Thank you.
I'm afraid GCSE maths at grade C is one of the things universities tend to be quite sticky about (and it'll be all of them, not just Plymouth.) It's not there just to trip you up but because they believe it's the minimum level you will need to succeed on the course. You are in an unfortunate position in that you will have to wait an additional week for the GCSE results to come out and then send that result yourself, because the GCSE results aren't automatically sent to universities, but you can ask the university if there is an alternative they would accept, such as key skills. I very much think that they won't, though, I'm afraid.
I'm in the same situation. I spoke to my uni and they said they wouldn't accept me if I didn't pass :frown:
Their website says they're upping the requirement to a B in a couple of years, so they may well have had issues with people not coping. If this is the case I doubt they'd accept a D.

You should definitely ask though. IF it comes to that, you've probably done fine!
Perhaps you could be let onto the course but do Maths to improve your grade alongside the degree? Sounds strange that you're actually on a course but are still working to meet entry requirements but that's what I'm probably doing (Maths alongside the degree that is).
Reply 5
Original post by ChrisLay1
Perhaps you could be let onto the course but do Maths to improve your grade alongside the degree? Sounds strange that you're actually on a course but are still working to meet entry requirements but that's what I'm probably doing (Maths alongside the degree that is).

I personally do a lot of studying in my free time (I'm actually developing two apps at the moment in my spare time) and I have some Maths GCSE revision books. Couldn't I say that I plan on studying Maths alongside (not as a course but just understanding the actual subject itself) the course?
Original post by Maverick594
I personally do a lot of studying in my free time (I'm actually developing two apps at the moment in my spare time) and I have some Maths GCSE revision books. Couldn't I say that I plan on studying Maths alongside (not as a course but just understanding the actual subject itself) the course?

You could ask your Uni, I'm not sure myself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending