The Student Room Group

Having a horrible time on my stables placement, I don't know what to do

Hi, I'm putting this here because I'm hoping someone can advise me about what to do in this situation or can share similar experiences. (This is long, sorry)

I want to apply for veterinary school this October, and wanted to get experience with equines (I've done a day at an equine practice and a week at a different equine practice coming up, but no equine husbandry). Tomorrow is my third day on work experience at my local riding stables, and I'm really not enjoying it. It's 1am and I am up worrying about tomorrow. I feel the staff are being very horrible and unfair to me - I came home in tears today.

I really do not like the atmosphere - it is altogether very negative, with the people working there constantly shouting at and arguing with each other. The owner is in particular very unpredictable and shouts at her staff with no warning, and is highly critical of minor mistakes. It feels very disorganised and I don't feel like they want to teach me anything and don't feel comfortable asking questions. The main instructor on duty today quickly taught me to groom a horse (bearing in mind it is my first time doing so) and bit my head off for missing a spot after her brief description of what to do. I feel as if they expect me to be experienced with horses despite my explaining that I haven't looked after them before (you'd think they would understand this as we're in the middle of a city) and the fact I have come for work experience to LEARN about horse care in the first place. It's paradoxical.

I also feel the staff are very overly aggressive towards me and I am quite a sensitive person so I find it extremely stressful. (Please tell me if I am being unreasonable.)
E.g. Today I was accompanying the instructor leading children on the road on a ride, we came to the gate and she said "Come this side and hold [horse's name]" with no indication as to what side she wanted me to go on as she was in front of the horse and looking at me. I apparently took the wrong side, so she shoved me in the right direction and repeated it loudly and slowly, and she really gave the impression that it was purely to make me feel stupid in front of the children and their parents.
On my very first day yesterday the owner got annoyed with me because she asked me to pass a bucket to her. There was a choice of three buckets, I had no idea which one she wanted (she was just about to teach me how to skip out) so I thought it would be better to ask than pass the wrong one. She then shouted at me like "THE MUCK BUCKET!!!!" as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

The final straw came today when I was grooming - by this point I was very stressed. They had asked me to groom a very old mare and claimed she was entirely safe to work with, however for some unknown reason she could not stand me and kept swinging her head around trying to bite me. Bearing in mind that I am inexperienced with horses (again, this is why I'm getting work exp in a stables) I did not feel safe, I didn't know what to do. I was afraid that if I approached her other side from the front she would bite (enclosed small stable), and if I approached from the back she would kick me as she kept shifting around. By this point I was so stressed to the point of tears because I felt afraid to ask for help. Eventually I did what I thought was the sensible thing and calmly asked if I could do a different horse as I didn't feel safe. The woman said "NO, just tie her up with the lead rein, seriously she's safe." I did this but still felt she could bite/kick so I was terrified the whole time and in tears.

This is seriously wrecking the little confidence I have with horses. I might be overreacting due to pre results day stress but I'm really not enjoying it. The people there make me feel entirely stupid.

Thing is, I need equine experience and this may be the only equine husbandry I get before the UCAS deadline. I feel I should stay but I don't feel like I'm learning much and I'm finding it unbearable.

What should I do? Stick it out?
Reply 1
First of all, I feel your pain. I did a lot of horse care and riding as a kid, and I find a lot of the older 'horsey' women are tough as old boots, quite unsympathetic and pretty much unable to comprehend the fact that someone might actually not know what they're doing or not have much confidence. Not saying they're all like this, just that it seems to be a character trait I've come across time and time again.

Ok, so when working with horses, you have to act confident. Fake it till you make it, be peeing your pants with fear, but DO NOT LET THE HORSE KNOW. If a horse thinks you're scared - and they're good at sensing this- they won't realise for a split second that you're actually scared of them. They'll then get scared themselves, looking for the obviously massive wild animal that's going to jump out and eat you both for dinner.

I'll go over the stuff you have had problems with as it sounds like these people have an issue with you not automatically knowing the basics, although if they won't show you, how could you know.

1. Always lead standing on the left side, near the horses shoulder. In fact pretty much anything is done from the horses left side, e.g. mounting/dismounting
2. When grooming, never use anything metal on the horses body, e.g. a metal currycomb. Plastic and rubber ones are fine, as is a dandy brush but should be used for getting off mud etc and not just for 'Polishing' so to speak, use a body brush for this.
3. A lot of horses when grooming will turn round and tug at your clothes, try and nibble or nudge you. Its because horses groom each other with their teeth, so to them they're sort of returning the favour, not being aggressive. Just give them a little scratch on the nose and gently push their head away haha
4. Be firm. If a horse, especially a young one, thinks you're a pushover, they'll push all your boundaries. Don't be afraid to push them out of the way if they get too close, nudge/elbow them if they do try to bite you, and use firm voice commands. If your voice commands are quiet and nervous they pick up on this and pretty much won't take you seriously.

Also, I'd recommend getting a horse care book as they usually explain the theory of the basics quite well. Obviously nothing comes close to actually doing it, but having an idea of what you're supposed to do beforehand can't hurt.

Anything else you want to know PM me :smile: and just try and have fun with the horses, they're lovely creatures -unlike some of their owners haha
Jhumfy basically covered it all but I just want to say, if you still feel really uncomfortable there, are there any other nearby stables you could go to instead?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Echo everything Jhumfy said! As someone who works part-time in the equine industry, I feel your pain - it can be ridiculously unforgiving and difficult work, both mentally and physically. Horsey women (I generalise here) are a force to be reckoned with, often have absolutely no manners/social skills (and no willingness to even TRY and be civil) and can basically just be a bit of a pain in the arse. They can sometimes be won over with vigorous agreement to everything they say ("yes, strapping your horses head down will definitely improve his jumping ability, I can't believe I used to think any differently!!!" *nods encouragingly whilst trying to hide look of horror*) and numerous cups of tea, but honestly, if you're just there for a week, I would just try and brush it off as much as you can and struggle through. It does seem like hell at the minute but realistically, it is only 5 days of your life, and unless they start physically/verbally/sexually abusing you (if they do, you need to leave immediately and report them to the BHS and local police service), I would try and finish. As you say, equine husbandry is one of the main things that the vet schools want to see, and it *may* put your application at risk if you don't have it on there.

As for alternatives, you could have a Google and see if there are any other riding schools that would be willing to take you. It is peak season and most are usually happy to have an extra pair of (free!) hands. If you are okay to make your location public on here, you could also ask if there are any members that know of any near you that take people on. There is also a very busy UK equestrian forum called Horse & Hound Forum that you could make a post on (if you do, make sure you don't mention the name of the place you are currently working at - anyone could be lurking!!).

I really do empathise with you, but spending time working in a difficult environment will absolutely work to your advantage one day - you will walk out of the placement covered in horse hair/snot/fecal matter, and with tirades along the lines of "WHO LET THAT PONY/DOG/SMALL CHILD IN THERE" ringing in your ears, but you will have experience working with horsey women, and that is a valuable thing.

(Having said all of that, your safety is far more important than that of any application, irrelevant of whether it's to vet school or not, so if you really feel that you are, at any point, in a dangerous situation, get. out.)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
I agree with what everyone has said.

One thing to consider, are you expecting any kind of reference or anything on their end confirming you worked for them/saying how you did? If so, then continuing to work at something that isn't making you happy is not worth it if you are only doing it for a reference, and may not get one. Hopefully this is not the case. If it is, I actually am not sure what to tell you. I would suggest having a talk with the owner or barn manager, whomever you originally signed up with and is "in charge" of you, and having a firm, mature discussion. If you are intimidated, that WILL NOT GO WELL. So again, not sure what to tell you there other than if you have to bring a parent to be background support (though eventually you are going to need to do this alone as a vet, you have time to develop that skill and confidence). In the course of the discussion I would express your concerns, remind them you came to learn and still want to, and what would they like to see out of you/get out of it and what concerns/positive things they have to say. A checklist of skills you BOTH need to meet.

Generally on work experience a good attitude is if you are not sure, ask. As much as you might feel they yell at you for asking, and it may be they don't realize how they come across, I GUARANTEE they will well at you MUCH MORE if you do something wrong and even dangerous, especially to one of the horses or a lesson child. So if not clear which bucket, as "which one is that? The blue one?" which gives them room to say "no, the red one". Possibly with some disparaging remarks in there, but you got your answer, so try and let it roll of your back. "Which side, the left side?" Etc.

In addition to horse care books from a library or even purchase one, there are often good youtube clips for stuff like grooming, how to tack up a horse, etc. This one, for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y3-Hfjnip0 or this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trZDW4RWino. Now those are Canadian videos so some of the terms are different. If you google your own from where you are, British ones may well come up and be more helpful.

Try and act keen and interested, not timid. Timid can be mistaken for not wanting to work, which won't earn you any points. I know this from experience. I had an instructor that repeatedly yelled at me while I was riding, and only me, even though she gave me the hardest tasks on the harder horses. One day I lost my temper and yelled back at her "I'M WORKING ON IT!". She later apologized and we never had an issue again. Now I am not suggesting you yell at your boss, but being firm and confident could go a long way, if they are just normal gruff British horse people and not evil. :tongue: A firm "excuse me, but that horse seems to be trying to bite. I am here to learn and want to help, but I don't feel safe. If I cannot groom another horse, what can I do differently than I am doing with this one?"...although that is a bit wordy and they might not have time to listen to long sentences. But hopefully you get the gist-I am not a succinct person myself. :tongue: DO NOT sauce them back or criticise them in front of parents or the kids. If you want to suggest you would learn better not being yelled at, do so privately.

It is amazing to me how many people in stable yards are negative, gossipy, insular, and yell, given they are around potentially very sensitive and nervous animals. I sometimes find this even more so in British and European horse people (sorry, but I do) and again strikes me as odd given what a reputation for equestrian activities and skill they have! But this treatment as others have said is not unique to you and is a bit of a hazing/ragging/initiation thing I suppose.

I agree, pushing through a work placement that you are not enjoying and working with people you don't like working with is a useful and even necessary skill. However, not at the cost of your safety. Definitely put that first. If necessary, maybe another facility could take you, even after the UCAS deadline (I think you can put down upcoming placements?). Maybe try and meet a prospective placement provider first and/or make it clear your level of experience, comfort level, and what you can offer and hope to get in a return.

Also remember, teaching someone to do something takes a LOT LONGER than actually doing it oneself. You are, quite frankly, a drain on their time and a liability. Especially if you are only there a week because it is hard to become competent in only a week. Yes you are trying to help but you are probably not there yet. Try and keep that in mind that as nasty as they may seem, they are donating their time to you without necessarily getting much in return. Just trying to present another viewpoint.

Good luck!
Reply 5
I also agree with what everyone has said, but I have a small thing to add -

Original post by ABC05
As for alternatives, you could have a Google and see if there are any other riding schools that would be willing to take you.

You could always try a livery yard if there are no riding stables! :smile: Good luck, and I hope the week gets better or you find somewhere nicer to go. :hugs:
Reply 6
Original post by nox1
I also agree with what everyone has said, but I have a small thing to add -

You could always try a livery yard if there are no riding stables! :smile: Good luck, and I hope the week gets better or you find somewhere nicer to go. :hugs:

I would be slightly hesitant to try a livery yard if you're new to it all. Only because at the end of the day, they are private businesses and often involve dealing with green, sensitive, BIG horses (and their equally sensitive owners!!). The staff are *usually* balancing more than one job so can often be pretty pushed for time, which usually results in a) you not being shown the ropes properly and b) a stressful working environment, and unlike riding schools, lots don't really cater for u18s, so might be a bit intimidated by you! The same goes for racing yards really. Just my thoughts, but obviously if you find one that looks legit and happy to teach you, then go for it :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by ABC05
I would be slightly hesitant to try a livery yard if you're new to it all. Only because at the end of the day, they are private businesses and often involve dealing with green, sensitive, BIG horses (and their equally sensitive owners!!). The staff are *usually* balancing more than one job so can often be pretty pushed for time, which usually results in a) you not being shown the ropes properly and b) a stressful working environment, and unlike riding schools, lots don't really cater for u18s, so might be a bit intimidated by you! The same goes for racing yards really. Just my thoughts, but obviously if you find one that looks legit and happy to teach you, then go for it :smile:

That makes sense, it's just that I'm at a livery yard at the moment and it's great! :smile: I did not have much previous experience with horses, so they've shown me how to do the things that need doing, and warn me if a horse is unfriendly/shy, or deal with those horses themselves. The owner is also really good, and goes into a lot of detail and tells me about horse healthcare problems and things, since I told him I am there because I want to be a vet :biggrin:
Maybe I just got lucky :proud:
Reply 8
Original post by nox1
That makes sense, it's just that I'm at a livery yard at the moment and it's great! :smile: I did not have much previous experience with horses, so they've shown me how to do the things that need doing, and warn me if a horse is unfriendly/shy, or deal with those horses themselves. The owner is also really good, and goes into a lot of detail and tells me about horse healthcare problems and things, since I told him I am there because I want to be a vet :biggrin:
Maybe I just got lucky :proud:

That's awesome! Glad you're having such a lovely time - OP, horsing *can* be fun sometimes, we're not completely crazy :wink: Friendly staff make all the difference, don't they?!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by ABC05
That's awesome! Glad you're having such a lovely time - OP, horsing *can* be fun sometimes, we're not completely crazy :wink: Friendly staff make all the difference, don't they?!

Thanks!
They so do! Unfriendly staff can ruin your week (as we can see from the OP), and not just at a horse placement, anywhere! :/
(edited 9 years ago)
Thank you so much for all your advice everyone!

Basically, I have decided to stop going. When I was getting ready to go to the stables this morning, my mum came and sat me down and told me that she honestly did not want me to go to a place where my safety was put at risk. I agreed with her and decided not to go - I had a very productive day in the vet world otherwise, as today I applied for a veterinary care assistant post and immediately got an interview! So it wasn't a totally wasted day. :smile:

ABC05 - I know that I need to find an alternative as equine is a big one. But I have stuck through with lots of things while on work experience - amongst other things I have been left alone to throw massive tires on a silage pile for half a day in the boiling sun (bearing in mind I am tiny and skinny as a twig), accidentally locked in an indoor marmoset pen at a zoo for an hour with no way to tell someone I was in there (apparently nobody heard the amount of noise I made to try get someone to hear me), had a bunch of children lock me in a rabbit cage when I was crouched down cleaning at a city farm, made to drag a bag used for concrete full of straw that weighed about twice what I do for four hours, had a calf headbutt me numerous times, and have had to deal with the unpredictable mood swings of the vet I go to for work experience every week.
But never have I worked in a place where I was forced to be in a situation where I felt unsafe and the staff had refused me an alternative when I told them so (this is standard procedure in any workplace as far as I'm aware - I work in a library and once got into a bad situation because I didn't ask for help dealing with some weirdos). I honestly feel I should not be expected to go to a place where my safety is put at risk.

When working with cattle I was taught the mantra "Unfortunately, if the animal has hooves or horns, you cannot fully trust it" and I did not feel safe grooming this powerful animal that was much bigger than I was and that could seriously hurt me. I keep thinking - what if the horse had successfully bitten/kicked me? I am convinced the people there would have yelled at me for allowing myself to be bitten. My horsey friend told me today that it's probable the horse was just snapping at me to scare me away (it, ahem... worked) but the people there didn't bother to tell me this stuff.

Jhumfy, thank you so much - your entire post has taught me much more than what anyone at this has ever taught me about horses! I will definitely have a look at getting a horse care book just because horse people seem to not want to teach me things. Thanks :smile: (why is it always from the left side, just out of interest?)

Original post by Tarnia
Generally on work experience a good attitude is if you are not sure, ask.

I agree - that's exactly why I felt it was important to clarify things like that, I just felt the way they kept dismissing my questions was very discouraging as I felt like an entire nuisance asking them things. Your point about me being a drain on their time and resources is a good one and I understand they were doing me a favour by having me there at all, I just thought it was unreasonable to have me working where I felt unsafe (surely that would have meant I was more of a liability to them than if they taught me what to do?)
I agree entirely - what is with these people? I wonder if it's because they enjoy having control over a large animal. They seem to genuinely enjoy screaming at them at the top of their voices all the time.

I'm fine with putting my location on here - I live in Central London. There's actually another place near me (someone on here actually recommended them to me ages ago, why did I not go to them instead??) that I'm going to go round to and ask to get work experience at - I went today but they were closed to visitors in the afternoon (doh!). It's an RDA place so I'm hoping they're more familiar with complete beginners! This time I will make it clear that I am a total horse noob and pray they will teach me things, if only to stop me getting killed.

Thanks everyone!
Reply 12
Original post by afeatherofabird

Jhumfy, thank you so much - your entire post has taught me much more than what anyone at this has ever taught me about horses! I will definitely have a look at getting a horse care book just because horse people seem to not want to teach me things. Thanks :smile: (why is it always from the left side, just out of interest?)

No problem! You should come to a yard up north haha :biggrin:
Unfortunately the best way to learn about horses is to actually get in there and do it most of the time. Because horses are so big yet so damn stupid at times, you've really got to be one step ahead of them all the time, and you can only do this the more time you spend around them. If you can't get hold of a book then theres loads of horsey websites and forums you could have a look on.

Tbh theres no real reason, its just tradition, I think its because most people are right handed, therefore leading from the left means theyre using their strongest hand. Always been a pain in the arse for me as a leftie, but then you can actually lead from both sides it tends to make no difference. Again it depends who you're dealing with. Some people are laid back and don't really care, others will scream at you for something this trivial lol. Although as most horses are used to being led from the left, its safest to stick to that side cos they might not be used to being led from the other side and start acting out. When I say creatures of habit, I mean it haha :rolleyes:
If theres anything else you need to know feel free to ask and I will do my best! I hope you find another - and more friendly - place to do your experience, and yeah I totally agree with being completely upfront and honest with them about your inexperience, they'll definitely respect you more for that - I know I would. After all horses can be dangerous in the wrong hands!
Reply 13
Ahh good luck for the interview, that sounds great!! Good on you for being so decisive about leaving too, I'm usually rubbish at that sort of thing and end up sticking it out and having a miserable time. RDA will be fab with people like yourself :smile: I'm in London too (SE), so if you ever want to swap notes placement wise then feel free to shoot me a PM!
Hi guys! Just thought I'd post a quick update. :smile:

I rang the local RDA place and they are happy to take me on for work experience. They seem a lot more organised and seem to have better social skills.

The lady I talked to emailed me to confirm - the horses are on holiday at the moment but my placement will start on the week beginning 1st September. They have a hard hat policy for everyone working on the yard at all times so I get the impression they are a lot more safety conscious than the other place!

I've been thinking a lot about what Tarnia said about these places giving work placements for little in return. This place seems very keen to take on new volunteers - they immediately asked if I'd be interested, so when I get there I'll ask about long term volunteering so that they'll be more willing to show me the ropes. I'm also having a two week placement so hopefully they'll see more of my help once they've shown me the basics.

I might post horsey questions soon, but thanks everyone :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending