Internship during retail job to get into publishing?

Watch
LewaKyser
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hiya

So I graduated last year (English Literature) and got myself a First, which is really great. It's taken me a full year to fully decide on a career in publishing, so I don't have much in the way of hands on experience and am currently working full time retail and volunteering as an editorial assistant at a charity to try and get something under my belt.

Internship time is coming up and I know it could, if not lead to a real job, at least get me some valuable contacts. Unfortunately I have two options: unpaid internship and risk not being able to pay the mortgage or try desperately to find a paid internship, and risk not getting my retail job back if the internship doesn't go anywhere.

Is it even possible to temporarily leave a retail job for personal development? I'm simply not getting anywhere with my current editorial applications thanks to my lack of experience, but I can't risk a steady pay check. (I've even considered the idea of paying monthly for an MA at UCL just because they promise an internship at Faber & Faber but I'm still in debt from uni!)

I feel stuck in a rut and don't know how to go forward. I'm not enjoying my current voluntary position as they're all take and extremely tiring clients, but I can't give up what little experience I'm actually getting in terms of copy writing/editing/proofing.

What should I do, guys?!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (17)
20.73%
I'm not sure (2)
2.44%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (23)
28.05%
I have already dropped out (3)
3.66%
I'm not a current university student (37)
45.12%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed