Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I get the feeling this has been done before but I can't find it-sorry. Did anyone here take part in last years Medlink? Was it useful to you? Were you provided with sufficiently active roles in the practicals? Would you recommend it to others? (ps I'm going to uni this September anyway but hopefully will be able to kick my sister out the house for 4 days on this course, in time for my return at Christmas!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LoStInIdEaFlOoD)
    I get the feeling this has been done before but I can't find it-sorry. Did anyone here take part in last years Medlink? Was it useful to you? Were you provided with sufficiently active roles in the practicals? Would you recommend it to others? (ps I'm going to uni this September anyway but hopefully will be able to kick my sister out the house for 4 days on this course, in time for my return at Christmas!)
    Hmm, it was OK as a course. A tad overated, but nevertheless a good course to go on. Maybe you might get more out of a work experience placement...

ReputationRep:
    I went to it in 2000 (God, how long ago does that seem?!?) and really enjoyed it. Some of the lectures were really helpful, and I did enjoy the practicals a lot, although there were an awful lot of people in the groups for them. If you can afford it, and you're really interested in Medicine then I think you should go.

ReputationRep:
    I went in 2001, and although it was good at helping me decide if Medicine was for me or not (it wasn't), I think it's really quite overrated. The most useful part was being able to talk to all the students milling around - far better than an Open Day! The advice you get in the lectures didn't seem to be groundbreaking or revelationary, although the lecturers were good. I think it provides more inspiration than information, and the chance to live like a student (ish) for a weekend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss_Tiddly)
    I think it's really quite overrated.
    It's quite expensive too. I went in 2002 and although it is hugely enjoyable (you get to make loads of friends, talk to plenty of medical students, the practical work is especially fun - I learnt how to insert catheters into males and females ), in terms of information about medical applications you can pretty much find it all out yourself (or it's common sense) rather than going on the course. It's interesting but by no means necessary (or really beneficial for that matter) so if you can't afford it then don't bother.

It wasn't particularly useful for me (but I did bung it into my personal statement for good measure) but it was for two of my friends as it helped them decide that medicine wasn't for them.

I would recommend it if you're unsure about a career in medicine or if you just want to go on a fun and interesting course. If you want to be more involved in the practicals (if it is a big group) just be proactive (speak up and make an effort).

ReputationRep:
    I went over Christmas and am going to Medsim in the summer but I get half of the fees refunded by my school if I write a report on it after :cool:
    I think it gives you a good experience of university life and some of the lectures are quite useful. I think it would be good for people who aren't sure about whether or not they want to do medicine...
    I didnt think that the practicals were that amazing (I think Medsim is more practically orientated) but the course is definitely good fun- tell your sis to sample the Notts nightlife whilst she is there

ReputationRep:
    it is definitely too expensive. there isn't really anythig there that you probably couldnt find out yourself- and by spedning little or no money.
    advantages are you get to meet lots of people, many prospective medics and also share email, phone # and keep in touch etc. you can also have a taste of uni life (well a bit). i'd strongly suggest though that you do not buy those small extras such as certificate or something. there is a pathology option in whihc you can write a paper and if it gets published i heard it looks good on the UCAS. you get lectures on a variety of specialties by docotrs and i tihnk admissons people
    Medlink is mainly forthose that dont know if medicine is what tehy want or dont know much about med really. the practical sessios are very short and dont offer much.

i heard MedSIM is a lot better if you are certain medciine is what you want to do.
    if money is not an issue, then you will have a good time, but dont expect to learn heaps. it's fun- but wasnt enough forthe 200 quid

i dont think medlink and medsim should at all be substitute for getting work experience ina hsopital or voluntary work.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 20, 2004

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.