Turn on thread page Beta

Dilema - Reapply to oxford, or get on with it watch

ReputationRep:
    Get in touch with Oxford. Ask about the interview and whether it would be worth taking a year out. Ask them to be honest with you.

If Oxford really means that much to you then tell them. Let them know where as you have been offered places, and ask why you didn't get in. Was it the interview? What are they looking for? etc. Make your decision based on their answers. It may be that they were looking for something extra you could develop in a gap year. If they say you are unlikly to get in then go for one of your other choices.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by janon)
    I have offers from warwick, bath durham bristol and nottingham for physics, but got rejected from oxford. Is it worth taking a gap year, and reapplying to oxford?
    I only have a week left to decide. Just sort of put it to the back of my mind and pretended I had loads of time.
    If I didn't reapply, bath is looking like the alternative. I just don't really know whether getting an oxford degree is all that important, and whether it is worth taking a gap year, and still have a chance of not getting in to oxford.
    I don't even know what I would do in a gp year, it would purely be to reapply to oxford.
    Any suggestions/advice?

Im in the same situation...only rejected from cambridge instead. I decided to accept Bath as firm anyway (to do maths) but if I get great grades I might consider dropping out and reapply next year.

Although Im dissapointed, Im gonna respect their judgement (after all, there was a reason for the rejection) so if I reapply, I will do so to a different subject. Not sure how they feel about this, but I figure its not terrible to do. I mean, if you say that you were really split about what to study the first time around, and that the interviews helped you see that you chose the wrong thing, then surely they would be glad to reconsider you. If nothing else, it shows dedication (obsession?) to the uni...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by janon)
    I have offers from warwick, bath durham bristol and nottingham for physics, but got rejected from oxford. Is it worth taking a gap year, and reapplying to oxford?
    I only have a week left to decide. Just sort of put it to the back of my mind and pretended I had loads of time.
    If I didn't reapply, bath is looking like the alternative. I just don't really know whether getting an oxford degree is all that important, and whether it is worth taking a gap year, and still have a chance of not getting in to oxford.
    I don't even know what I would do in a gp year, it would purely be to reapply to oxford.
    Any suggestions/advice?
    Remember that getting into unis next year is going to be SO hard as it's the cut off year for top up fees. That means that you might not get into any of your other (great) offers from this year as well as probably being rejected from Oxford. I say probably as they are very snobby about this things and to be honest they will have the pick of the bunch next year and will be looking for anything to reject people to take the pressure off them...watch out, it could all go horribly horribly wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hohum)
    Remember that getting into unis next year is going to be SO hard as it's the cut off year for top up fees. That means that you might not get into any of your other (great) offers from this year as well as probably being rejected from Oxford. I say probably as they are very snobby about this things and to be honest they will have the pick of the bunch next year and will be looking for anything to reject people to take the pressure off them...watch out, it could all go horribly horribly wrong.
    But you will already have your grades so if they reject you again you can get an unconditional offer from another uni. Can you defer for a year and keep your offer from another uni? Sorry never did UCAS sonot sure of the system

ReputationRep:
    I don't know, I think you can defer your offer, but that is on the basis that you accept it through ucas. Therefore no reapplication. However you are able to reject all offers and reapply to them all. I think that those are the only two options. Bar clearing, and sneaking into oxbridge via last minute interviews after results. Which I would imagine is very difficult to do. Surely with an average of 3 applications per place, there wouldn't be any places left to take up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by janon)
    Any suggestions/advice?
    Can't you just go to Bath or one of the others and reapply while you're in your first year there or do they not accept that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nissa)
    Can't you just go to Bath or one of the others and reapply while you're in your first year there or do they not accept that?
    Probably..technically... do you think a tutor's going to be impressed though? It would appear quite arrogant, and done for the wrong reasons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    Probably..technically... do you think a tutor's going to be impressed though? It would appear quite arrogant, and done for the wrong reasons.
    Why? The Oxbridge tutor will probably find it quite normal as he is pretty sure there are no better universities and will therefore undrestand the fact that he is reapplying but he better not ask a reference from a teacher at Bath!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nissa)
    Why? The Oxbridge tutor will probably find it quite normal as he is pretty sure there are no better universities and will therefore undrestand the fact that he is reapplying but he better not ask a reference from a teacher at Bath!
    I really don't think that an admissions tutor would be impressed by someone applying from another university. Taking a gap year and reapplying, maybe, but the arrogance in going somewhere, only to apply elsewhere as soon as you arrive is pretty mind-blowing.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Just out of interest: How easy is it to then move over to oxbridge to do your postgrad. work? Would they give preference to their own undergrads? Is it as competetive?
    I got rejected after pooling for Cam (And yeah, in agreement with Kingslaw i think luck does come into it - my college had loads of applicants whereas others maybe get 1 or 2 - but thats another matter) but am now quite happy to be going to Bristol as the course seems more 'me'. But i'd still like to get my masters there.

ReputationRep:
    In my experience of being a grad student at oxford, the vast majority of post-grads were not Oxford undergrads (inc myself). This is mostly because Oxford post-grads are 67% foreign students.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.