Have I made the wrong decision!?!? Watch

Glossoph0bia
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm currently studying a Level 3 BTEC in Interactive Media and Game Arts. The reason I took this was because I couldn't find any kind of A-levels that covered these kinds of areas. My question is have I made a mistake?
I'm about to enter my second year in this course and the first year was too easy. I want to go to uni to study this kind of thing further but I'm now petrified that I've taken the wrong kind of qualification in order to be taken seriously. I did really well in my GCSE's and achieved A*-B grades in everything.
What should I do? Should I not bother with the second year and start A-levels instead or shall I stick it out and then try and get into unis?
[email protected]
Badges: 9
Report 5 years ago
Very very few unis and sadly no good ones will accept BTEC of any level. If you want to go to Uni I would say you would have to do A-Levels. You can check the UCAS website and check under BTECS to see if any Unis that you like the look of accept them but dont expect they will. Good luck just stay calm
username1027456
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Glossoph0bia)
I'm currently studying a Level 3 BTEC in Interactive Media and Game Arts. The reason I took this was because I couldn't find any kind of A-levels that covered these kinds of areas. My question is have I made a mistake?
I'm about to enter my second year in this course and the first year was too easy. I want to go to uni to study this kind of thing further but I'm now petrified that I've taken the wrong kind of qualification in order to be taken seriously. I did really well in my GCSE's and achieved A*-B grades in everything.
What should I do? Should I not bother with the second year and start A-levels instead or shall I stick it out and then try and get into unis?
Well didn't you check out what course you will be doing at university? They tell you what they want from college.

Universities will take btec's depending on which btec you're doing, what grade you get and what course it is.

In my college classes of a level sciences, around 80% were students who retook a levels eg, they didn't do so well in first year or they took a gap year and then decided to re do their a levels and it turned out brilliantly.

So simply research what you'll be wanting to do in your future job, find out what degrees the job wants, then find out what a levels/btecs the degree wants.

Let me know how it goes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Plug33
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by [email protected])
Very very few unis and sadly no good ones will accept BTEC of any level. If you want to go to Uni I would say you would have to do A-Levels. You can check the UCAS website and check under BTECS to see if any Unis that you like the look of accept them but dont expect they will. Good luck just stay calm
That's a dated response to BTEC's, I've just finished A2 with a BTEC and 2 A Levels and got into one of the best Business Uni's in the country (Loughborough). They might just up the requirements for that subject slightly (e.g. D*, A*, A)
Plug33
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Im talking about only Btecs not A-Levels as well.
And, like I said they will raise the requirements slightly, the Russell Group are all about BTEC's now, good uni's accept them
loperdoper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Check out a university you're interested in. Some will accept your BTEC, others will ask for some A-levels alongside it. I assume you're interested in Games Design of some sort? I searched this on UCAS and picked a bunch of courses arbitrarily. Bradford College (Games and Digital Media) will accept BTEC with PPM, Anglia Ruskin University (Computer Games Art) accept BTECs but don't specify a grade, and the University of Bedfordshire accept BTEC with PPM. And Brunel (Games Design) accept BTEC at DDM. So as you can see, you haven't necessarily made a mistake, it's just about finding the right course and university for you.
pinejuice
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
btecs are becoming more respected. entry onto game design courses are quite low, they look for BCC grades so btec wise you could get away with MMM. game design is something im very passionate about myself, are you certain you want to go to uni for it?

you can learn the basics online, the resources available are amazing. the industry uses autodesk and maya, you need to pay for it either monthly or buy a very expensive license. most unis that offer a game design course will have both these programs installed in their computers. theres python and c++ tutorials online through youtube. blender is a great free alternative to autodesk/maya. many in the industry get by working as part of an indie group first, they build up their portfolio then apply for the big positions at AAA companies. going to uni for game design to me seems a little risky. its alot of money and you arent guaranteed a job in a company, its your portfolio and experience that will get you through.
RoundTrip
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Lol wut?
Anon74
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Plug33)
And, like I said they will raise the requirements slightly, the Russell Group are all about BTEC's now, good uni's accept them
Russel group are all about BTEC's now?...
Plug33
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Anon74)
Russel group are all about BTEC's now?...
I don't me 'they only like Btec's', but yes they really encourage them
sdotd
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I have a few mates who did btecs and no a levels and got into some good universities
LeFailFish
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Plug33)
The majority of Russell Group universities do not accept BTEC's on their own. However, there are some good universities which are not part of the Russell Group.

OP, if you want to go to university I would advise looking up the requirements for the places you are interested in or emailing them regarding their stance on BTEC's. They may ask you to take a relevant A level (e.g. Computing) as well, which you may be able to do at your college.
Plug33
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by LeFailFish)
The majority of Russell Group universities do not accept BTEC's on their own. However, there are some good universities which are not part of the Russell Group.

OP, if you want to go to university I would advise looking up the requirements for the places you are interested in or emailing them regarding their stance on BTEC's. They may ask you to take a relevant A level (e.g. Computing) as well, which you may be able to do at your college.
A lot of Russell group Uni's do accept just BTEC's (depending on the course, maybe not like Engineering etc.) not all. You need BTEC's for a media course
white_zinfandel
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Glossoph0bia)
Look at Teesside Uni, they do six different computer gaming degrees alone. Teesside DO accept BTECs both subsidiary diplomas with A Levels and stand alone Level 3 higher BTEC Diplomas as they are. Offers are usually made based on UCAS points roughly around 280-320 so you should be find with at least DMM. The entry requirements are currently not on the site because clearing is still ongoing but check back in a couple of weeks or call them.

A quick google also brought up De Montfort in Leicester who do a Game Art Design too and accept DMM.

I would stick with what you are doing, especially if you find it easy, a DDD will look far better than poor A Levels.
Glossoph0bia
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Holy crap a lot of people replied to this! I stuck with my college course and I'm currently trying (and failing miserably) to write my personal statement. I'm also researching the different universities to go into and I'm still trying to whittle them down to 5 choices. Not going to lie, when I wrote this post I was in a state of panic and freaking out a lot haha!

Well didn't you check out what course you will be doing at university? They tell you what they want from college.
No one in my family has ever been to university before and due to my mother having mental illnesses and such, a lot of my time was spent caring for her so I've never really had the chance to sit down and have a think or a chat about my education and future career.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (213)
12.71%
Excited (151)
9.01%
Worried (303)
18.08%
Terrified (375)
22.37%
Meh (155)
9.25%
Confused (37)
2.21%