The Student Room Group

need to get into medicine

hey guys really need some advice. ive done my a-levels but ive had one of those late epiphany realisations that i really wanna do medicine like this is what i really wanna do finally. but im a bit late and i havent done any science a levels. i've applied to nursing. ive heard of access to medicine courses and i really want to get onto one like with the foundation year instead of doing biology and chemistry a levels again. can someone give me some advice on what i should do? cuz i was thinking of doing nursing for one year just for some experience and then apply to access to medicine. what do u think will increase my chances to get into medicine??? please help im really in a situation at the moment.
Reply 1
Look at the 6 year medicine courses, I've heard of some of these being for people who didn't do the right a levels. But mainly I think they're for people from less privileged backgrounds who won't have had equal opportunities to do well at a level.

It may be best to take the year out, then you have time to get work experience, maybe find employment in a hospital or care home, and strengthen your application. Studying nursing first will limit your options as most universities will want you to finish your degree first.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
There are some places that offer a pre-medical course specifically for people who did not choose the science route. I believe you need to have a really good academic record in whatever subjects you have, plus you will also have to do the ukcat and such. I know Dundee offers such a course.

It would be very worth while to your application if you had something to show your commitment to medicine. I would say however, you could get that from volunteering and such. you don't necessarily need to start nursing training. Ultimately it is possible to apply to such a course while doing another course - it would also give you other options if you didn't gain an offer.

There is also still the graduate entry to medicine.

Can I ask what drove you to think of Medicine despite having Nursing?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
The above posters have summed up the essential points so I won't echo them.

I wouldn't bank on the graduate entry route, it's far more competitive and it's future is uncertain.
You could also email the medical schools and ask if you taking the required A levels as a private candidate would make you eligible. You'd likely have to take 3 A levels, but it might be worth asking.

I would also be interested in the reasons for your jump from nursing to medicine.
I did the Access to Medicine course at Stafford college last year, and got three interviews and offers from Lancaster and Keele, chose Keele. The Access course was excellent, it was 3 days a week and basically condensed 3 a levels into one year with a few extra bits to compliment. If you want med, go for med, not nursing. It costs too much in funding to waste years if you know what you really want. You'll have to do ukcat for the access course, but they walk you through your personal statement and application, as well as interview support and practice. Have a look on Stafford College Website, or East Anglia, as they have a lot more info which is almost identical to Staffs. There is also an access course in Manchester and Liverpool, and I think there are some in the south east but I cant be sure. Not all unis will take access, keele and lancaster and brighton are very open to it but leicester are fussy. Cardiff's 6 year course takes access. Hull and york and liverpool take some too. They all have different entry requirements, so pick your access course, then find out which unis accept it, and then get cracking! 6 out of ten students got in from my course, thr other messed about and wouldnt have got the grades, as you need 45 credits at distinction, which isnt difficult, you just need over 70% on exams and to demonstrate depth and breadth in course work. If you're generally good at maths and chemistry, and have a genuine interest in things like public health and the 'whole patient approach' then the access course is definitely for you. Best of luck!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by chandler1992
I did the Access to Medicine course at Stafford college last year, and got three interviews and offers from Lancaster and Keele, chose Keele. The Access course was excellent, it was 3 days a week and basically condensed 3 a levels into one year with a few extra bits to compliment. If you want med, go for med, not nursing. It costs too much in funding to waste years if you know what you really want. You'll have to do ukcat for the access course, but they walk you through your personal statement and application, as well as interview support and practice. Have a look on Stafford College Website, or East Anglia, as they have a lot more info which is almost identical to Staffs. There is also an access course in Manchester and Liverpool, and I think there are some in the south east but I cant be sure. Not all unis will take access, keele and lancaster and brighton are very open to it but leicester are fussy. Cardiff's 6 year course takes access. Hull and york and liverpool take some too. They all have different entry requirements, so pick your access course, then find out which unis accept it, and then get cracking! 6 out of ten students got in from my course, thr other messed about and wouldnt have got the grades, as you need 45 credits at distinction, which isnt difficult, you just need over 70% on exams and to demonstrate depth and breadth in course work. If you're generally good at maths and chemistry, and have a genuine interest in things like public health and the 'whole patient approach' then the access course is definitely for you. Best of luck!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Access student from Manchester here :smile: - Offers from Manchester, Leicester and Newcastle

Not sure how different things are in stafford, but I think 4 people got in from our class of 31 (Thought not everyone finished)

Quick Reply

Latest