The Student Room Group

CLEARING - insurance and firm choice urgent help!

I really want to get into my firm choice but if i don't i would rather apply through clearing to different uni's instead of accepting my insurance choice. is it possible for me to apply to different unis via clearing even though my insurance choice has accepted me. So i will swap if i find a better course through clearing or accept my insurance choice if i don't. Thank you in advance
Original post by mhassan
I really want to get into my firm choice but if i don't i would rather apply through clearing to different uni's instead of accepting my insurance choice. is it possible for me to apply to different unis via clearing even though my insurance choice has accepted me. So i will swap if i find a better course through clearing or accept my insurance choice if i don't. Thank you in advance

No sorry you can't mess your insurance around like that. Either you take up your place or you ask them to put you in clearing and find a place elsewhere.
Original post by mhassan
I really want to get into my firm choice but if i don't i would rather apply through clearing to different uni's instead of accepting my insurance choice. is it possible for me to apply to different unis via clearing even though my insurance choice has accepted me. So i will swap if i find a better course through clearing or accept my insurance choice if i don't. Thank you in advance[/QUOT

ucas says you can go through clearing if you dont want to accept your insurance, but you are taking risk
No, you cannot hang onto your Insurance place while you shop around in Clearing.
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
No sorry you can't mess your insurance around like that. Either you take up your place or you ask them to put you in clearing and find a place elsewhere.

But can't i ask other unis if i'll get accepted to their course and if they say yes then tell my insurance choice to drop me?
Reply 5
Original post by returnmigrant
No, you cannot hang onto your Insurance place while you shop around in Clearing.

But can't i ask other unis if i'll get accepted to their course and if they say yes then tell my insurance choice to drop me?
Original post by mhassan

You can ASK - UCAS guidance says unis are not supposed to talk to you in that situation. Most unis will follow that guidance.
Original post by mhassan

I was in the exact same position as you last year, my firm was Sheffield and insurance was Huddersfield. If I wasn't going to get into Sheffield I didn't want to go to Huddersfield, so I got a back up at midnight of 5 clearing Universities, that I knew I could get into if I failed. As it happens I did fail, I got B B B which got me into my insurance. I rang up York and they confirmed that they would offer me a spot with my grades, as soon as Huddersfield had released me into clearing. Huddersfield released me immediately and I had taken up York's offer within the hour. There was no panic because I had prepared for every situation. I recommend you do the same.
Reply 8
Original post by The_Oracle95
I was in the exact same position as you last year, my firm was Sheffield and insurance was Huddersfield. If I wasn't going to get into Sheffield I didn't want to go to Huddersfield, so I got a back up at midnight of 5 clearing Universities, that I knew I could get into if I failed. As it happens I did fail, I got B B B which got me into my insurance. I rang up York and they confirmed that they would offer me a spot with my grades, as soon as Huddersfield had released me into clearing. Huddersfield released me immediately and I had taken up York's offer within the hour. There was no panic because I had prepared for every situation. I recommend you do the same.

thanks for the reply, did you ring up York while you were offered your insurance or were you released to clearing before you rang up york?
Okay, you aren't offered your insurance, your insurance is automatically accepted if your miss your firm but meet your insurance requirement. Far as UCAS, and universities are concerned you are done with the system and your happy. Of course I wasn't so I rang York and said roughly, "As a student with B B B would you accept me, will places still be available in an hour". I got from what I remember "If you have the minimum entry requirements, BBB you will be accepted, yes". That is when I rang Huddersfield and was released into clearing, rang York back up with my clearing number and all was done.
Reply 10
Original post by The_Oracle95
Okay, you aren't offered your insurance, your insurance is automatically accepted if your miss your firm but meet your insurance requirement. Far as UCAS, and universities are concerned you are done with the system and your happy. Of course I wasn't so I rang York and said roughly, "As a student with B B B would you accept me, will places still be available in an hour". I got from what I remember "If you have the minimum entry requirements, BBB you will be accepted, yes". That is when I rang Huddersfield and was released into clearing, rang York back up with my clearing number and all was done.

oh ok, but is there any way of confirming your place before getting released from clearing because what if by the time your released into clearing and phone up the university again all the spaces go. Therefore leaving you without anything. I know the chances of that happening are small but is it a possibility.
Original post by mhassan
oh ok, but is there any way of confirming your place before getting released from clearing because what if by the time your released into clearing and phone up the university again all the spaces go. Therefore leaving you without anything. I know the chances of that happening are small but is it a possibility.

Well yeah you said it all really that is the risk, as I explained your offer is accepted, it is impossible for another university to accept you until you are released into clearing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending