The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

What's the problem with Durham and clearing + adjustment?

I've heard that there were problems last year with Durham and their clearing process as well as their adjustment. Firstly, what were the problems? Secondly, how do we make sure they don't happen to ourselves if we choose to pursue Durham in this way?

Thanks.
Original post by RFJ
I've heard that there were problems last year with Durham and their clearing process as well as their adjustment. Firstly, what were the problems? Secondly, how do we make sure they don't happen to ourselves if we choose to pursue Durham in this way?

Thanks.

I narrowly missed the grades (AAAA not A*AA) and I now have to wait until the 20th for a decision - think they just draw out the process as much as they can!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by rebecca095
I narrowly missed the grades (AAAA not A*AA) and I now have to wait until the 20th for a decision - think they just draw out the process as much as they can!

The University's trained amissions staff are committed to delivering a professional and equitable service to prospective students. They take time over decisions so this is why enquirers may not hear back immediately.

If you have any enquires regarding clearing and adjustment then i hope this website may help https://www.dur.ac.uk/undergraduate/applicants/
Original post by rebecca095

That's tough. Good luck, I really hope it goes well on the 20th. :smile:
Feeling pretty **** right now, even though i got 3A*s i still can't get in through adjustment cus there's no places for english :frown:
Original post by RFJ

Thanks.

The issue last year was people narrowly missing offers and Durham taking a long time to decide whether or not to take them, therefore making those students miss out on potential opportunities elsewhere. The only way to definitely avoid this would be to achieve the grades to meet your offer.
Original post by orangeKUBRICK
Feeling pretty **** right now, even though i got 3A*s i still can't get in through adjustment cus there's no places for english :frown:

You should feel awesome right now, those are incredible grades! I'm sure there are some English places left at other great unis :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Fayyyyh
The University's trained amissions staff are committed to delivering a professional and equitable service to prospective students. They take time over decisions so this is why enquirers may not hear back immediately.

If you have any enquires regarding clearing and adjustment then i hope this website may help https://www.dur.ac.uk/undergraduate/applicants/
That is all very well, but for people waiting on these decisions each day counts, especially if they will otherwise be seeking places through Clearing. Expecting them to wait for almost a week for a decision is, in my view, unreasonable. All it does is give the impression that Durham is content to treat its applicants with a lack of respect that is undeserved and inappropriate.

As we have now had a number of reports from people applying for a range of courses that the magic date is 20 August, we can only conclude that this is a centrally-determined policy. It is not one you would expect us to support.
Original post by Minerva
That is all very well, but for people waiting on these decisions each day counts, especially if they will otherwise be seeking places through Clearing. Expecting them to wait for almost a week for a decision is, in my view, unreasonable. All it does is give the impression that Durham is content to treat its applicants with a lack of respect that is undeserved and inappropriate.

As we have now had a number of reports from people applying for a range of courses that the magic date is 20 August, we can only conclude that this is a centrally-determined policy. It is not one you would expect us to support.

Currently what I am going through!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I finally got word, you need to pester them

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Amyleigh95x
I finally got word, you need to pester them

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll bet :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Minerva

This and every university I've spoken to have been of the same opinion. I feel like an utter failure because I 'only' got A*A*B and it took a woman on the clearing line at KCL to remind me that I'd actually done ok.
Original post by can'tbeleftblank
This and every university I've spoken to have been of the same opinion. I feel like an utter failure because I 'only' got A*A*B and it took a woman on the clearing line at KCL to remind me that I'd actually done ok.
And I'm glad she did - those are great grades. If you can't find something this year to suit, re-applying with those should get you some decent offers, to put it mildly.
I'll admit that whilst going through the adjustment system for Durham I was left hanging on the edge of my seat over the weekend, since I applied for it on Friday afternoon. However on Monday morning I got constant emails and phone calls keeping me up to date and pretty much minimal effort on my part other than checking up via phone twice. I honestly don't know about you guys but the pharmacy department has been nothing but professional and up to date with me, I did have slight tension and worries but that was probably mostly due to my impatience and anxiety!

All I can advise anyone who's going through adjustment/clearing for Durham is make sure every phone call and email you make has all the important information in it (UCAS ID, programme code, etc), if you're going to half ar*e it then expect similar treatment in return. If you do all that and still are left hanging, keep calling and sending emails persistence is key it seems during this period. Wishing everyone good luck and hoping they don't get caught out by the high influx of applicants and admin oversight.
To all those going through adjustment, good luck!

If you are unable to get into college accommodation then don't worry, there are lots of alternatives. Congratulations to those that got in and we will see you in October!

Jack
Universal Student Living Team

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending