This discussion is closed.
Faland
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
B707 - Fisheries Bill 2014, TSR Opposition

Fisheries Act 2014

An act to provide greater incentives and future success for the fisheries industry.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

1. Corporation Fisheries Policy withdrawal
(1) From 1st January 2020 the UK will withdraw from the Common Fisheries Policy

2. Fish farming
(1) From 1st January 2020 fishing for commercial purposes will be prohibited within UK waters
(2) From 1st January 2020 only fish produced in licenced fish farms will be available for commercial purposes

3. Society of English fisheries (SEF)
(1) The SEF will regulate the protection, sale and purchase of fish farms in addition to overseeing a subsidiary named the Young Fisheries Instillation (YFI)
(2) The Young Fisheries Instillation will provide loans to young fishermen with the goal of aiding start-ups for the first three years of trading
(i) Government will guarantee £0.1bn of loans which will be distributed in co-ordination with the SEF and participating banks
(ii) The purpose of theses loans are to provide aid for Fishery start-ups for the first three years of trading and to allow existing fishermen to purchase more coastal waters suitable for fish farms
(iii) The YFI will oversee the creation of 1000 fishing based apprenticeships
(3) The SEF will be overseen by the department of Energy, Environment, Food, Rural Affairs and Climate Change
(4) SEF will ensure that fish farms adhere to all existing regulation surrounding the ethical treatment and standards of fish within the aforementioned fish farms

4. Commencement, Extent and Short Title
(1) This Act may be cited as the Fisheries Act 2014
(2) This bill shall extend to England
(3) This act shall come into force on 1st January 2020.

Notes
Withdrawal from Common Fisheries Policy
As a result of abiding by the Common Fisheries Policy the UK fishing industry has been decimated due to other EU nations being able to fish on an industrial scale within UK waters. This act returns control of UK waters back to it's constituent nations. Doing so will better protect jobs in the UK fishing industry.

Fish Farming
As a result of industrial trawling post war UK fish stocks have declined by a significant amount despite the issue being known for decades. The University of York and the Marine Conservation Society has found that the availability of bottom-living fish has since fallen by 94%. For some species the drop has been all the more remarkable as evidenced by this extract from a Guardian Article below..

"The crash has been huge for some species. From 1889 to 2007, the LPUP declined 500 times for halibut, more than 100 times for haddock, and more than 20 times for plaice, wolffish, hake and ling. Cod had declined by 87%, the study, published by the online science journal Nature Communications, found."

http://www.theguardian.com/environme...cks-uk-decline

That the peak of UK fishing hauls was in 1938 despite the advances in technology allowing larger range and potential catches tells us that the UK must restrict fishing in its waters, this bill will do that and generate jobs in the UK fishing industry.

Society of English Fisheries (SEF)
A new governing body for the protection, purchase and sale of of coastline suitable for fish farms, informing people on how to get into the business, will run the Young Fisheries Installation (see below). They will also offer grants and loans at low rates to those wishing to purchase more coastline for fish farming or for those wishing to get into the industry

It's remit will ensure that the best locations suitable for industrial fish farming are not spoiled or sold for non-fishing needs.

Young Fisheries Installation (YFI)
This will be about bringing more young people into the world of fishing, it will make provision for vocational routes. The YFI will not just try and bring in more young people but when it does it will give grants and loans to them at low rates to help them get off the ground.

Tax and devolution
As per the passing of the 2013 Agriculture Act control of agriculture, forestry and fishing was devolved to the Northern Irish, Welsh and Scottish Assemblies. Corporation tax was also abolished for all business in the agriculture, forestry and fishing industry.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2573703

Costing
Unfunded Liabilities (loans): -£0.1bn

Cost to Treasury: £0
Ruitker
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
This has my full support if extended to the whole of the UK and not just England.

The bill calls for the UK to take back control but only England seems to be included in this. What the thinking? Protect English fishermen but forget Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish fishermen?

In response to the arguments which are inevitably going to come up claiming "oh but British fisherman can go there," British waters are some of the most productive waters of the EU and why should British fisherman be pushed abroad just to make a living? All fisherman head towards the most productive waters hence why they come to us.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
So this bill bans fishing in UK waters, but only applies to England? How does that work?

Any bill that involves withdrawal from an EU policy is almost guaranteed an automatic no from me.
Ruitker
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by O133)
So this bill bans fishing in UK waters, but only applies to England? How does that work?

Any bill that involves withdrawal from an EU policy is almost guaranteed an automatic no from me.
No, the bill prevents EU fisherman fishing in British waters unless they hold a licence. The bill makes sure only British fisherman can fish in British waters. The application should be UK wide, you have a good point there.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Ruitker)
This has my full support if extended to the whole of the UK and not just England.

The bill calls for the UK to take back control but only England seems to be included in this. What the thinking? Protect English fishermen but forget Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish fishermen?

In response to the arguments with an inevitably going to come up claiming "oh but British fisherman can go there," British waters are some of the most productive waters of the EU and why should British fisherman be pushed abroad just to make a living? All fisherman head towards the most productive waters hence why they come to us.
As per the notes..

Tax and devolution
As per the passing of the 2013 Agriculture Act control of agriculture, forestry and fishing was devolved to the Northern Irish, Welsh and Scottish Assemblies. Corporation tax was also abolished for all business in the agriculture, forestry and fishing industry.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2573703
(Original post by O133)

An oversight on my part, that should say English waters since the notes evidence that i already devolved control of agriculture, forestry and fishing. I'd add that it bans commercial fishing, you can still take a boat out for the day and have a bit of fun catching your meal with your kid or friend or whoever.

Normally i'd agree, i'm probably one of the most pro-EU people you'll see on the right (support the creation of a federal Euro-zone state) however the CFP is ridiculous and unworkable under the new paradigm surrounding fish farming that this bill creates.
Ruitker
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
As per the notes.
I'm proposing a second draft includes a section calling for the laws of NI, Scotland and Wales to be superseded by this policy.
Mechie
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No. We shouldn't be pulling out of European joint agreements.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I can see a black market developing with those who fish 'for pleasure' and would be concerned for the impact on the Cornish economy, which is not in a good state to begin with.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
I can see a black market developing with those who fish 'for pleasure' and would be concerned for the impact on the Cornish economy, which is not in a good state to begin with.
Are these concerns larger than the fact that fish stocks have plummeted.
username456717
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Absolute Aye!

It is narrow minded to say no to this just because it involves pulling out from an EU policy.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Ruitker)
No, the bill prevents EU fisherman fishing in British waters unless they hold a licence. The bill makes sure only British fisherman can fish in British waters. The application should be UK wide, you have a good point there.
(1) From 1st January 2020 fishing for commercial purposes will be prohibited within UK waters
(2) From 1st January 2020 only fish produced in licenced fish farms will be available for commercial purposes
This happens at the same time as withdrawal from the CFP.
ukip72
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Aye. The common fisheries policy has been a disaster for Britain.

Posted from TSR Mobile
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Are these concerns larger than the fact that fish stocks have plummeted.
If you had some form of support to fishing fleets being put out of business then you could help the Cornish and other local economies. The black market would be more challenging, though you could restrict catch levels by 'non-commercial' fishermen/women by defining what is fishing for personal use.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Faland)
Just noticed both this and the monarchy bill are B706.
Endless Blue
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Is this even legal or possible under EU law?
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
If you had some form of support to fishing fleets being put out of business then you could help the Cornish and other local economies. The black market would be more challenging, though you could restrict catch levels by 'non-commercial' fishermen/women by defining what is fishing for personal use.
Definitions of personal use already exist in statute as do measures to tackle black market practices. With regards to the support for such economies, that's one of the reasons why i waited until 2020 and further, as more fish farms are created the demand for experienced fishermen will increase.

(Original post by Endless Blue)
Is this even legal or possible under EU law?
Not as a member of the common fisheries policy, hence the withdrawal.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Not as a member of the common fisheries policy, hence the withdrawal.
Are the EU going to let us withdraw from the CFP and still remain members?
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by O133)
Are the EU going to let us withdraw from the CFP and still remain members?
Who knows in RL but the canon amendment means we can overrule the EU on here (indeed the left have done many things on here which are illegal under EU law).
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Who knows in RL but the canon amendment means we can overrule the EU on here (indeed the left have done many things on here which are illegal under EU law).
It's misuse of the canon amendment in my eyes whoever does it. It serves a purpose in not making us sift through reams of EU law (which isn't known for its succinctness or simplicity!) but should not be used to overrule major EU policies. If we're not willing to partake in the EU's policies then what's the point of membership.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by O133)
It's misuse of the canon amendment in my eyes whoever does it. It serves a purpose in not making us sift through reams of EU law (which isn't known for its succinctness or simplicity!) but should not be used to overrule major EU policies. If we're not willing to partake in the EU's policies then what's the point of membership.
Which is why the bill does include a provision to withdraw through statute.

The only effect of the canon amendment here (quite reasonable) is that we don't have to take into account the repercussions of doing so (which we never do anyway - see your nationalization of water where you wiped out holdings of Canadian pensions without compensation - in the RL the consequence would be significant).
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (85)
14.19%
I'm not sure (27)
4.51%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (189)
31.55%
I have already dropped out (12)
2%
I'm not a current university student (286)
47.75%

Watched Threads