The Student Room Group

Gender identity crisis!

Hello, I am in a huge gender identity crisis. I feel as if I should be a female and have always thought that. (I am a male). Everyones initial thoughts, including mine would be "so you're Transgender" but here's the problem.

Although I have a huge desire to "fit in" with the female gender and am already a very feminine guy who wears subtle make-up and feminine clothes, I also want to be a guy sometimes! That's the problem, so it's not as easy as saying "I'm Transgender". I really want to go on HRT's (Hormone Replacement Therapy) as then my body would distribute fat to a more female physique but it would also enhance breast growth, which would then basically force me to commit as a female and that is something I don't think I am ready for! :confused:

ANY HELP / TIPS ARE APPRECIATED! Thanks.
Reply 1
I think if you're not completely 100% certain on it, don't do it. It is a massive commitment, physically and mentally.

Do you feel that you are actually female and in the wrong body; or do you feel that, although you're male, you relate to women and enjoy feminine things? Because if it's the latter, it's completely okay and normal to be comfortably male but enjoy and admire femininity.

From age 3 to about 14, I felt I was meant to be a boy and was jealous of boys because I felt like the girl body I was in didn't match how I identified with 'boyish' things. I always wore boys clothes, played with boys toys, and tried to fit in with the boys. But whenever I thought about actually physically becoming a boy, it didn't feel totally right. It took a few years, but I figured out that actually I'm happy and identify as female, it's just I never associated myself with society's depiction of being a girl. I just liked boys stuff. ...So what I'm saying is, although you probably really admire women and prefer femininity, it's also totally normal and fine to identify and feel male. BUT if you don't feel like that at all, and do actually feel you're female in the wrong body, that's fine too! You could probably even discuss it with a GP because they'll know the right people to get you in contact with :smile:
Reply 2
Thank you for your opinion and personal story! I am going to see a GP in the short future.
Perhaps you might be gender fluid?
Reply 4
Read up on some gender identity theory, for some people it's a lot more complicated than identifying as just male/female
for my advice it's best for you to see some sort of therapist or something (probably referral through GP) so you can really get to the bottom of which gender you identify as, it's a difficult thing to face on your own.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
I don't like to put people into categories but try googling bi gender, you might find some answers :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Like some others already said - there's a whole lot more to do with gender than simply being male or female. Obviously no one can tell you what gender you are (some people even consider themselves to be genderless and that's totally fine), but it sounds like you are nonbinary.

There's a lot of really good resources online about different gender identities, have a read up and take your time figuring things out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You say that you want to be a guy sometimes? You may want to look into things like gender fluid as that may help (idrk coz I'm not you obvs, but hope this helps anyways)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest