Mariooo96
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi all, I'd like to know more about this.

Is it even possible to study abroad after you've finished your A Levels and want to do a BA? Or is it only for Masters students?

How does it work with the financial support? Do you still get a loan in the UK? Or is it depending on the country you want to study in?

Thank You and looking forward to your replies.
NikolaT
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you're talking about studying abroad as part of an undergraduate degree then yes, absolutely.

Some universities offer students to take an entire year abroad (so your degree stays at the length of 3 years, your 2nd year spent abroad), whilst others will make your degree length 4 years - 2 at your university, 1 abroad, 1 to finish up. Some universities only allow students to take a year abroad if they applied for a course that has a year abroad segment to it - for instance, Oxford's Languages degrees. If a course you apply for has 'with Study Abroad' in the title, I think you're guaranteed a year abroad if accepted for the course.

Some places also offer things like summer internships or work experience abroad, or just one semester/term abroad.

I think it's reduced fees for your year abroad + you get travel grants from the government. You may also be eligible for support from your university.
Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report 7 years ago
Yes you can do your undergraduate degree abroad but no, you won't be entitled to any UK student loans or financial support from the British government. Studying in the EU would be your best bet if finances are an issue because tuition is very low/free and depending on the country you go to, you should be entitled to some financial help. The Netherlands offers the most undergraduate degrees taught in English so you check out www.studyinholland.nl, also look at studyinsweden.se, studyindenmark.dk and studyinbelgium.be/en.
dragonkeeper999
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You can study abroad whenever you like. Many students have a year or semester abroad integrated into their degree (check each university's website for details of which courses offer this), and some chose to study abroad for their whole degree. Depending on where you go, going to university abroad can be a lot cheaper than in the UK (or a lot more expensive) and would be a fantastic experience as well as helping your CV. You can also consider doing summer courses at universities abroad or doing internships abroad (although these are often expensive, but some universities may offer travel grants).

I think if you study in Europe for your whole degree there may be some financial support from the government, but if you beyond the EU then definitely not. If you do a year/ semester abroad in the EU you can do it through the Erasmus programme and get some funding that way too. Many universities charge reduced fees for the year you spend abroad if you do it as part of an integrated year abroad programme.
Mariooo96
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I had two countries in my mind, both are in the EU - Spain and Italy (Barcelona and Milan in particular )

I've also heard about the Erasmus scheme. I already got into University of Greenwich and just wanted to see how it works as I could still change things if I wanted to. Thanks for the replies.

Does anyone have some more information about Spain and/or Italy in particular? Studying, finances and all that.
Thank You in advance
Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report 7 years ago
I don't want to be rude, but if you know the countries/cities you would like to study in then you can do your own research. A quick search on Google will tell you the names of the universities in Barcelona and Milan, why don't you visit their websites and see if they offer any degrees taught in English (very doubtful) and if they do, whether there's a subject you're interested in. If you find a degree you want to do then you can research finances - there's no point doing it before.:unimpressed:
helpfullilelf
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you do an Erasmus year you can do a semester in Italy then a semester in Spain, or vice versa, through erasmus you will recieve an erasmus grant of about 250 - 375 euro a month, this will be paid at somthing like 70% at the start of the exchange then the other 30% after the exchange and the amount will depend on the country you are going to, info can be found on erasmus's site. I think Spain and Italy are both the maximum payment.

This is on top of you usual SFE loan and grant, the erasmus grant only needs to be paid back if you do not complete your studies (i.e pass you courses and get the required ECTS)

When I did Erasmus I was told if you do a full Erasmus year you are not required to pay tuition fees for that year, but that may just be university policy and differ from institution to institution.

The best thing to do would be to go and see your international office for advice, however you need to contact the universities you wish to attend and ensure you can study the subjects that are both relievant to your studies and taught in a language you are profitient in.

You will also be responsible for transport and acommodation during your exchange, though erasmus do offer a one time single grant payment to help towards transport, but there are certain qualifying conditions.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
7.34%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (29)
16.38%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (29)
16.38%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (25)
14.12%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (48)
27.12%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (33)
18.64%

Watched Threads