Do universities look at different A-level exam boards?

Watch
p.formanko
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
hey TSR,
Having looked at the grade boundaries which came out today, I'm not sure if I'm going to be accepted/offered a place at universities where I plan on applying (getting AS results in a few hours time and plan on applying for Geography at Cambridge or LSE - those are my top choices).

People who did Geography on AQA/CIE/whatever found their geography really easy and so a lot more people who did those are likely to get an A in comparison to those, like me, who did Edexcel, and got completely screwed over (unit 1 - 60/90 for an A and unit 2 48/70 A, 45 B, 42 C, 39 D, etc).

My question is, do universities consider how hard the exam was for a certain year?
Or will all applicants have CIE/AQA/whatever seeing as it was so much easier, seeing as the vast majority of the cohort of A's will be from those exam boards?

(hope I've explained it okay)

thanks!
JessJJ
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I would assume no, but I don't know for sure sorry! :confused:
Comeback
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you are asking whether universities will take preference/special consideration towards you over others simply because you have an A-Level from 'Edexcel' and not 'AQA' I'm afraid you're incorrect. Moreover, until you have completed an 'easy' Geography A-Level from AQA also, I don't think you can really judge which one is easier (lower boundaries means harsher marking).
skoav
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
AQA Geography grade boundaries are only so low because the papers are written by Satan himself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
p.formanko
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Comeback)
If you are asking whether universities will take preference/special consideration towards you over others simply because you have an A-Level from 'Edexcel' and not 'AQA' I'm afraid you're incorrect. Moreover, until you have completed an 'easy' Geography A-Level from AQA also, I don't think you can really judge which one is easier (lower boundaries means harsher marking).
Thanks for the reply - I understand what you mean, but on the 'easier' exams the boundaries were lower and everyone was saying how happy they were because they probably got a high B or A or whatever, meaning that they're more likely to meet their offer and be accepted to a better university.

In comparison, Edexcel grade boundaries are pretty restrictive and difficult, meaning that most people won't be getting those high As people got on other exam boards, and rather Bs, Cs and maybe Ds, meaning that their chance of even being given an offer from a university would have already reduced significantly.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (4)
8.16%
I need help researching courses (4)
8.16%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
6.12%
I need help with my personal statement (24)
48.98%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (10)
20.41%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (1)
2.04%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
6.12%

Watched Threads