The Student Room Group

SOAS vs. King's for MSc in Development

Hi everyone,

I hold a BSc Economics from a non-UK and non-EU university (in Istanbul because I'm Turkish). I'm going to get a master's degree this year in the UK. I got accepted from:

- King's College London - MSc Emerging Economies and International Development
- SOAS - MSc Development Economics

My undergraduate GPA is relatively low and I think that it will be a problem in the future for me. That's why I'm thinking, even though King's has a better reputation generally, would graduating from SOAS with a good grade would be better to show that I am capable of doing quantitative work and it's not because I can't do Economics, but rather personal reasons that my undergrad GPA is low? Even if I graduate with a good grade from King's, it will look like I can do verbal studies better and I'm bad at quant.

What do you think? Many thanks in advance.
Reply 1
what are your goals and areas of interests. I would go for fit. KCL has maybe higher ranking as overall uni. But for your chosen courses I would rate SOAS higher. Personal opinion

King's course is mostly IPE, qualitative and relatively new. There are better Emerging Economies courses elsewhere. KCL is undergoing some changes with cuts in certain departments. This course is a politics, not econ.
SOAS MSc Development Economics is more established and recognised, econ at SOAS is heterodox. But you get maths camp and basic quant as part of curriculum.

Good luck
Reply 2
Hi Tcannon, many thanks for your reply.

I actually don't know what I exactly want to do upon graduation. I was hoping to find out during the programme.

As you said, KCL's programme is only starting its second year so there is no info about what graduates are doing.

Also, do you think I am right to assume that I can get into jobs requiring quantitative and qualitative skills once I graduate from SOAS Dev Eco, but with KCL, I can only go for qualitative jobs. I can't be an economic analyst for example.

I got accepted from City MSc Dev Eco and also University of Manchester. Uni of Manchester told me that they cannot accept me to the Dev Eco programme because my undergrad economics grades were low, but they offered a place in a more qualitative programme.

Do the employers look at the transcripts in detail?

Many thanks once again! I appreciate the comments.
Reply 3
It is tougher to explore yr fit if you are uncertain about your areas of interest.

KCL: it is an inter-disciplinary master's run by politics department, very untested and lacks alumni network for this course. To be honest, Emerging Economies and DEV at KCL is non-core (!) and imho KCL just jumps on the bandwagon. Even in London, it is ranked 4th at best in DEV after LSE, SOAS and UCL. I read at King's student paper that the uni is restructuring in some departments with cuts and layoffs.

SOAS: One of UK's established MSc Development Economics programmes (the others are Ox, Sussex, Manchester, UEA, Nott and Glasgow). Core course with accomplished profs and other relevant courses provide good support. SOAS has more DEV infrastructure and focus, see recruitment and speakers. Covers governance, Civil Rights, Economic Growth, Education, Environment, Human Rights, Population, Poverty Alleviation and Gender. As Econ course, it is a subject master's. Concur that with Econ degree, you can apply to Quant jobs in Econ analysis and qualitative jobs.

The regular MSc Development Economics at Manchester is also good, particularly for population studies.
Reply 4
Hi Tcannon,

Thanks to all the detailed info you gave me, I looked deeper into the topic and spoke to several more people who have been either students or professionals in London for a while. Without an exception, they all told me that employers prefer MSc Development Economics when hiring, SOAS has a more student friendly and school-like atmosphere, King's has lowered its admission criteria and some grammar lacking people have been enrolled as PHD students in the last years. And so on... I think King's has a good reputation in certain fields, but the rest are pretty ordinary.

I will start MSc Development Economics at SOAS :smile: Many thanks once again!
Reply 5
That was smart thing to reach out to professionals and alums for their opinion. You got a clearer picture and they were helpful for your decision analysis.

Another evidence is the strength of a PhD programme in Development Economics. SOAS and Manchester has strong scholarship whereas KCL produces little PhD research in DEV. KCL overall reputation comes from other (!) subjects such as law, medicine, history. But KCL is weaker in Economics.
The collaborative and school like culture at SOAS can be a plus. All the best for your successful studies. Hope you will realise your goals and make new friends.
Hi Selin! I am thinking to apply SOAS for MSc Develoment Economics. It should have been for a long time that you graduated from SOAS. Can we have a little chat about the course? How was it? Did it really worth?
Hey Selinb, Hope you are doing great! I know this post is a bit old, but I am currently in the same situation as you. I have the same offers from the same universities, same programs too :smile: any advice?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending