The Student Room Group

Firm/Insurance confusion

If my insurance accepts me but I don't get into my firm, can I ring my firm choice to ask if they have any spaces (whilst having landed my insurance)?
Reply 1
Original post by scientific222
If my insurance accepts me but I don't get into my firm, can I ring my firm choice to ask if they have any spaces (whilst having landed my insurance)?
No - I'm assuming you mean for a different but related course? If your firm wanted to offer you an alternative course they would do so via Track (you'd see "UCC" against the choice in question) rather than post 'unsuccessful'.

You would also be committed to your insurance; though it is possible to get released into Clearing this can take time and mean you miss out as places can go very quickly and you can't be made an offer until you have your Clearing number.
Original post by Minerva
No - I'm assuming you mean for a different but related course? If your firm wanted to offer you an alternative course they would do so via Track (you'd see "UCC" against the choice in question) rather than post 'unsuccessful'.

You would also be committed to your insurance; though it is possible to get released into Clearing this can take time and mean you miss out as places can go very quickly and you can't be made an offer until you have your Clearing number.

So does that mean that if your firm rejects you (because of missing out on their grade requirements), there is no way of ringing them back on results day and potentially changing their mind (not through clearing); because they have rejected you no matter what?
So does that mean that if your firm rejects you (because of missing out on their grade requirements), there is no way of ringing them back on results day and potentially changing their mind (not through clearing); because they have rejected you no matter what?

Phone them anyway! you have nothing to lose. Worst case scenario they say no.
If you land your insurance you're guaranteed that, whatever you do don't withdraw from that. But you are still then entitled to contact the firm uni to ask them if they are willing to accept you for the same or related course even though you missed the offer.
Reply 5
Original post by Minerva

Yes, if you arent far off the ucas points for the course, it is said if you still want to go there to ring them up and ask them as they may give you a place as there may be places left!
Original post by bens266
Yes, if you arent far off the ucas points for the course, it is said if you still want to go there to ring them up and ask them as they may give you a place as there may be places left!

Would this be through the clearing number or normal number?
Reply 7

Clearing as they have already rejected you, but you can still try to get in
Reply 8
Yes, I'm afraid so.

Original post by QueenC_87
Phone them anyway! you have nothing to lose. Worst case scenario they say no.
If he has been unsuccessful, unless there is some new information he can give the uni phoning is not going to change anything now.

Original post by sunnydespair
If you land your insurance you're guaranteed that, whatever you do don't withdraw from that. But you are still then entitled to contact the firm uni to ask them if they are willing to accept you for the same or related course even though you missed the offer.
He is entitled, but will be wastiing his time.

You are not a Clearing applicant so it would be through whatever number the uni has given you for 'confirmation'.

Original post by bens266
Clearing as they have already rejected you, but you can still try to get in
See above.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending