The Student Room Group

year 10 in sept.. what to expect?

hi,
just finished year 9 and im looking forward to year 10. so far my plans are to start revison for my year 10 science gcse exam. i currenntly have the cgp books for (core science) b1 c1 p1 and (additonal science )b2 c2 p2.
my gcse options are
history
geography
graphic technology.

but however, i need help study. my main pproblem is that i cant concentrate when revising. i tend to listen to music and think about my future alot and i also tend to promote my revision date from when i first set it.... please help me with that.

back to the main point.

i reaLLy wanna do good in my gcse and im hoping to get great results.
so my question is should i start revising for gcse in year 10 .(please dnt tell me its too early).i really wana do good. so far i havent being serios with my education because i have being playing world of warcraft and other mmorpg games, but i want to stop now. i know i dont know the topics to revise on for the gces but please if you know please private message me and my plan is to ask the teacher for text books so i can revise the year 11 tiopics for all my gcse subject.. if they dont let me have it, then i just have to steal it.. lol no choice, i know its wrong but oh well.. i need the good grades.... i want a car better than a LAMBO!!!!!!
so please help me.. thanks

please also let me know of what to expect in year 10 apart from the gcse which i currently know about.

thanks for reading guys i know its extra loong but i will prove to you that i didnt waste your time with my great results.
thanks again guys.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by notnek
I think you posted in the wrong place - this is the maths forum.

so where shud i post?
Reply 2
hi,
just finished year 9 and im looking forward to year 10. so far my plans are to start revison for my year 10 science gcse exam. i currenntly have the cgp books for (core science) b1 c1 p1 and (additonal science )b2 c2 p2.
my gcse options are
history
geography
graphic technology.

but however, i need help study. my main pproblem is that i cant concentrate when revising. i tend to listen to music and think about my future alot and i also tend to promote my revision date from when i first set it.... please help me with that.

back to the main point.

so my question is should i start revising for gcse in year 10 .(please dnt tell me its too early).i really wana do good. so far i havent being serios with my education because i have being playing world of warcraft and other mmorpg games, but i want to stop now. i know i dont know the topics to revise on for the gces but please if you know please private message me and my plan is to ask the teacher for text books so i can revise the year 11 tiopics for all my gcse subject.. if they dont let me have it, then i just have to steal it.. lol no choice, i know its wrong but oh well.. i need the good grades.... i want a car better than a LAMBO!!!!!!

please also let me know of what to expect in year 10 apart from the gcse which i currently know about.

thanks for reading guys i know its extra loong but i will prove to you that i didnt waste your time with my great results.
thanks again guys.
Reply 3
thanks
Original post by smartboy1331
hi,
my gcse options are
history
geography
graphic technology.

back to the main point.

thanks again guys.

I think it's a good idea to be prepared for your exams, but there is no need to go overboard so early on. Year 10 is a fun year, so you don't want to waste it worrying for no real reason. My advice would be to revise the stuff that you don't understand at the minute, and then after Christmas start to recap everything that you have learnt.
There was a lot of controlled assessments in year 10, so that will take a lot of your time up so make sure you don't fall behind on that, as that is just as important as exam revision.

Oh, and for revision it is important to find a method that works for you early on, so try making posters and sticking them around your house (like I did) and try things like online interactive revision resources etc. I made posters while listening to music as the music helped me to block out all of the background noise, I know it sounds weird but it worked for me.

Good luck for your exams, I just sat mine this year and I started revising really early too and I hope it paid off for me :smile:
Most schools do coursework in Y10 so if you are in one of those schools, GET THOSE DONE ASAP TO HIGH QUALITY. Don't even think about letting it fall behind otherwise it will be a burden to you all the way through to May in Y11 when you really dont want coursework hanging. Geography coursework (AQA) requires a field trip, pay attention on that field trip, it's not a funday! Take notes and work in class and you could have it done roughly in 2-3 months!

Take good quality notes in Science and be thankful you're NOT doing the 7s (they were god awful!)

I can't say much for your other options other than the general good notes, word hard, get coursework done etc. I'd say you want to start revising around late Feb-early March for the real thing and a month or two before your mocks (whenever they are!). And revise properly! Don't just "read/skim" notes, make flash cards.... anything that helps: colour, mind-maps, note condensing... list goes on
My tips for starting GCSE :-) xx

-Start revising as early as possible (is what you're doing which is great!) this will make when you go through things in lessons more clearer. Go through things more than three times.

-Have regular breaks. When your concentration span has gone, nothing will go in! So work for 20-30 minutes and then have a 15 minute break.

-Plan what hours you work best at. I find I work best in the evening, so I plan an early tea and get everything I need to get done in the day.

-plan treats for yourself for working so you have something to look forward to. Go see friends,relax,cinema. Plenty of sleep to let you absorb the info.

-Sites such as Pearson active learn,GCSE Sam, BBC bitesize are super helpful for GCSE year 10 Core Science. You can watch videos, play games, do quizzes.

- try out different techniques of learning= writing, mind mapping,drawing,listening, watching

-colourful posters around the house, might jog your memory in the exam!

-what colours do you pick up best? For example I don't pick out yellows too well so I don't use yellow when mind mapping.

-healthy diet= yummy home made food, fruit snacks

-exercise= go for walks, a morning run, fresh air

-limit your internet use=take away your phone, facebook,twitter to avoid distractions and then have it back once you have done the amount of work as a reward

-set reasonable goals for yourself (is working non stop for 6 hours reasonable? You need breaks!

-make some sacrifices...remember once the exams are over you have 6 weeks of free time doing nothing yaaaay summer holidays!

-don't stay up revising till super late at night, you need time to process the info and beauty sleep!!

-time table your hours= say you do 20 minutes of biology in the morning, and some physics in the afternoon

-colour coding might help

-make rhymes, songs whatever helps to remember things!

-don't panic yourself, you will do fine, work hard, look after yourself, reward yourself, have plenty of breaks

I wish you all the best for GCSE. I loved GCSE, tough at times but as long as you work hard, it will pay off.

I am collecting my Year 11 results in less than a week! It is good to start revising early, that's what I did :-) x x

All the best x x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also, with coursework put your all into it and work super hard at it, so if there is a disaster on the day then your coursework will pick up the grade loads.

I got an A* in my Science coursework but had an absolute disaster on the day but was saved by my coursework thankfully :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Seriously work hard on that coursework, it gives you some relief when you walk out that final exam, and you think it went badly but you've still got 20% of your final grade made up in coursework to make up for it

Posted from TSR Mobile
If I was you I'd start when you go back to school. Every day when you get home, write up the notes for that day so you keep on top of them. If you need any advice then check out the year 9 forum. It won't be long before the new year 10 forum will be made but you can use that in the meantime.

Posted from TSR Mobile
thanks guys for the quick tips and i promise im wont let any of you down... im gonna study as hard as possible no matter what and im gonna do the course work beyond my ability!!!!! thanks agin for ur contribution and u guys replied so fast....thanks
Everyone hits puberty and goes crazy
Damn people actually go on tsr asking for shool advice in year 9? Did not realise how study obsessed some people really are.
hi,
my gcse options are
history
geography
graphic technology.

back to the main point.

thanks again guys.

From my opinion, Year 10 is abit of the calm before the storm. Year 10 you'll have Core Science (well I did) so you'll be learining everything that could come up in your exam. You may do end of topic tests, mocks and closer to your exams do practice papers. For the rest of your other subjects basically the same- learning what you need to know in the exam but also familiarising yourself with the subject and how to answer exam questions etc. For subjects like English you will have coursework and you do a lot of your coursework in Year 10.

My tips for year 10 would be

-Do your best in your coursework (it can higher your grade quite considerably)
-Try get the coursework out of the way so you're not stressing with deadlines and when you have a 100000 other commitments
-Pay attention in class so when nearer to the time of exams, all you're learning is stuff you already know (this will also make you feel abit more stress free for exam time)
-If you're given a rubbish target grade, don't listen to it, you can do sooo much better!
-Don't worry about being exam ready, there is plenty of time to pratice,perfect. (It is quite funny in Year 11 reading your first ever coursework essay that you wrote at the start of Year 10 because you improve so much!)
-Enjoy yourself, enjoy your subjects.
-You don't need to start stressing yet, you have plenty of time to learn all you need to know in time for the exams.
-Do the best you can in your science exams (A lot of people in my year didn't really take it seriously and didn't listen in class so they had to retake the exams in Year 11 which made them have even more exams along with the massive work load :/ )

It is great you want to learn!

Some good resource sites for Science Edexcel board (not sure what board you're doing)
-Pearson Active Learn

Other good sites for GCSE
-SAMlearning
-BBC Bitesize

Also I notice you're studying Geography (Great choice!)
For my exams I found these helpful

- http://www.s-cool.co.uk/gcse/geography (AMAZING SITE!)
- http://www.revisionworld.com/gcse-revision/geography
- http://www.geography.learnontheinternet.co.uk/gcse/revision.html
- http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/geography/video/
- http://revisioncentre.co.uk/gcse/geography/index.html

Also with Geography it is good to watch some documentaries. In my course I learnt about tourism and about slums so watching the BBC documentaries are useful as it broadens your understanding.
If you're doing the Hostile World unit there are plenty of really good documentaries done by the BBC. (We were shown them in class)

Revision tips

-Do a variety of things (don't just make notes or read)
+ watch videos
+ make mind maps
+ make rhymes
+ listen to things
find what works for you

-Have breaks (VERY IMPORTANT)

-Have sleep, plenty (so you absorb the info! and also when you're dreaming you will process the info again )

-Healthy diet, plenty of water (yummy brain food, fresh fruit and veg yummy home cooked food!)

-Enjoy, smile, make friends, enjoy year 10 :-)

Year 11 is abit harder as you have a lot more mock exams, real exams, bigger work load etc but it is not something to be scared or apprehensive about because by the end of Year 10 you will be ready for all your exams.

You will be fine and I wish you all the best.
Year 10 was actually my favourite year in secondary school, I loved it. I hope you enjoy your time in Year 10 too. I have finished school now and about the collect my GCSE results! Feel free to message me if you have any questions or if you are worried about anything, I am happy to talk to you
thanks for your reply guys and one question.. do u have to do course work at or or at school? if at home, how long do you have to do it for.. like the deadline?

and do you have to do controll assessment at home or at school?
thanks agin
The first bit of science coursework is research that you do at home, then after that you can't take any coursework home for this. For English they usually let you take your planning sheet home but you have to write everything up in class for most subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Who the f*ck studies in year 10. I didn't even revise for my exams. GCSE mean nothing when you are older..
Original post by hazzaaa123
Who the f*ck studies in year 10. I didn't even revise for my exams. GCSE mean nothing when you are older..

This is very incorrect.
thanks for your reply guys and one question.. do u have to do course work at or or at school? if at home, how long do you have to do it for.. like the deadline?

and do you have to do controll assessment at home or at school?
thanks agin

Preparation/Research is done at home but the actual Coursework that is marked, is done in school.

You will found all this out when you begin, you don't really need to know now.

Quick Reply

Latest