Do you think there is still a stigma around mental health issues/depression etc? Watch

Nick1995
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
For example in the workplace and maybe even everyday life? I was diagnosed with depression some months back but I'm getting better slowly but surely thank god! But for some reason mental health issues have come up in topical conversations with a few friends and some of them I've told about myself and what's happened with me and they seemed to have distanced themselves from me after that. Obviously not everyone is like that though
Motorbiker
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Nick1995)
For example in the workplace and maybe even everyday life? I was diagnosed with depression some months back but I'm getting better slowly but surely thank god! But for some reason mental health issues have come up in topical conversations with a few friends and some of them I've told about myself and what's happened with me and they seemed to have distanced themselves from me after that. Obviously not everyone is like that though

Yes, sadly there is still a large stigma with it. I'm hoping with the recent very sad news about Robin Williams it will help more people to be aware of the issues of Depression etc.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...75026135_n.jpg
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah there is. People don't trust other people, a broken bone is visible, things like depression, psychosis, eating disorders etc aren't very visible at all and people in general seem to have issues with believing those who suffer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rum Ham
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah there is still stigma. Tbh, I don't see the stigma ever fully disappearing as a lot of people will still be ignorant to how much a mental health condition can get to a person despite educating them on mental health.
Nick1995
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Yasmin25)
Yeah there is still stigma. Tbh, I don't see the stigma ever fully disappearing as a lot of people will still be ignorant to how much a mental health condition can get to a person despite educating them on mental health.
Is strange how some folk actually deny the existence of anything detrimental to mental well being despite Doctors, Psycholigists and everyone else saying its a real issue, and that it's a simple issue of "pulling yourself together".
Rum Ham
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Nick1995)
Is strange how some folk actually deny the existence of anything detrimental to mental well being despite Doctors, Psycholigists and everyone else saying its a real issue, and that it's a simple issue of "pulling yourself together".
Yeah I agree with you. I experienced a lot of stigma when I had panic disorder and agoraphobia from a whole range of people both in real life and sites like this. People seem to think mental conditions can just be switched off instantly or they are faked for attention. They quickly change their tune though if they ever experience mental health problems.

Posted from TSR Mobile
MintDaisies
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
There is definitely a stigma when it comes to mental health. I'm not sure if it'll ever go away but it's starting to get better. Mental health charities such as Time To Change are starting to get the message out there. If schools start educating pupils on mental health and not just physical illnesses then I think we'll see a massive difference.
forborall
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Maybe I'm overly optimistic (I'm an optimist by nature..meh..) but then I think it can go away, though not soon. I don't agree with the ideal that it's inherent to not understand mental illness, since that was based on what people thought centuries/millennia ago because they couldn't know any better.
Anonymous #1
Report 4 years ago
Definitely. Most people aware of it don't even realize how far it goes. Even mental health professionals stigmatize certain conditions like PTSD and BPD because of how directly it affects their interaction with those patient populations and traditional resistance to treatment.
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes. If you haven't got one or had one then well most people just do the oh c'mon get over it or do this. When in reality it not that simple.

And if you say you have an issue people tend to think you're either some crazy nutter who will murder everyone or a depressed person who will suicide. :dontknow:
Anonymous #2
Report 4 years ago
Personally the only people I expect to care are law makers, HR departments and healthcare providers.

Not much interest in the awareness and understanding of 'normal' people. It'd be nice to see all of these people who seem upset when a sad video is posted on Facebook show the same anger and compassion in real life.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (61)
14.95%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (41)
10.05%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (78)
19.12%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (59)
14.46%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (44)
10.78%
How can I be the best version of myself? (125)
30.64%

Watched Threads