The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've not attempted it, but I don't think it can be that hard. You'd probably have to have a group of people who would definitely join, before being able to set it up officially.

Societies I joined/attended events of?

Rocsoc, altsoc (alternate music), the mermaids (drama - I auditioned for one... but didn't get the part :frown: so I helped out backstage in another production. I might try auditioning again this year), st mary's soc (divinity students pub crawls oh yes!)...
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
is there a running society/club? and are they all really fast? :vroam: i'd really just want some ppl to run with, no races etc.
Reply 3
Ummm, don't know if there's a running club, I haven't noticed one.
I've never set up a society but one of my friends has and I think you need at least 20 ppl, to organise for there to be a committee and have an annual AGM. If you go to the union I believe you register your society there and they sometimes give some funding. Oh yeah, and I think there has to be a membership fee...but it can be minimal, like £1 a year.
I would recommend dancesoc....lots of diff classes for £5 a year (and you have to have sports centre membership which is about £27). For example last year I did Latin Jazz, HipHop and Theatre dance and you get to be in the show at the end of the year which is a really good experience.
Also, celticsoc is great....most friendly society I've come across. The lessons are fun and you can show off your skills when there are ceilidhs. :-) If you get more involved there are proper scottish country dancing balls...they have the Highland Ball in St Andrews and other ones in Edinburgh, Aberdeen and so on. There are weekly socials after the intermediate class too which beginners are welcome to go to as well.
I joined the riding society but I didn't find them very welcoming and they were rather disorganised. But it can be good if you want to ride and have no transport. Though the edenside stables can be reached by bus/bike ride.
Other than that I just joined academic societies....they're useful to be in to get to know people doing the same subject in different years.

So, yes, I've rambled on a bit....I just finished work and have time on my hands, lol. Societies can be a major part of your social life. :-)
Reply 4
I'm up for running - always helped hangovers.... just hope you don't leave me behind!
Reply 5
I'd really want to join dance, but the only dancing I've ever done is when I go clubbing and i'm not sure i'm all that coordinated when you take away the flashy lights and drunk atmosphere haha. and i'm a shy girl.... is it hard Marie?
Reply 6
I'd never been to a dance class before last year either. It is quite challenging but not toooo difficult. The thing was with the classes I went to was that they were mixed ability...though they do have classes of diff levels for jazz, ballet and tap. Being shy isn't a problem. :-) I got scared going on stage for the show but tis worth it.
Reply 7
Performing is a weird thing, when I get on stage you lose all your nerves and enter a different zone - and get this massive purge of confidence. It's weird and definately worth it! Before going on stage I got nervous but once performing it becomes amazing!! (I'm a guitarist... not a dancer, but I imagine its a similar experience.)
Reply 8
blondemoment
is there a running society/club? and are they all really fast? :vroam: i'd really just want some ppl to run with, no races etc.

good idea:smile: I'd be up for it as long as the members aren't some would-be-marathon runners :rolleyes: who CAN run 10 miles a day or something. I' d like to keep up with the others!:wink:
navyblue
good idea:smile: I'd be up for it as long as the members aren't some would-be-marathon runners :rolleyes: who CAN run 10 miles a day or something. I' d like to keep up with the others!:wink:

same! lol the most i would ever ever do is 10km. but i run about 40-70 mins every other day... slowly!

i'm glad there are others up for it!
Reply 10
blondemoment
same! lol the most i would ever ever do is 10km. but i run about 40-70 mins every other day... slowly!

i'm glad there are others up for it!

oh yeah me too :smile: I actually prefer to run with other ppl, it motivates me to work more :biggrin:
Reply 11
How about Breakaway Hill Walking Society? Exploring Scotland could be fun....
navyblue
oh yeah me too :smile: I actually prefer to run with other ppl, it motivates me to work more :biggrin:

same, i go faster too which is good. tho, be warned, i watch the person in front of me, like stare at their left leg, i'm weird what can i say but it works!
Reply 13
lol have to try it :biggrin: at least it could keep my mind of "am I already tired?" thought :wink:
navyblue
lol have to try it :biggrin: at least it could keep my mind of "am I already tired?" thought :wink:

it does work like that ^

i can see this being interesting, both of us trying to keep their eyes on the other's left leg, thus making us run in 1 very small circle over and over and over...
Reply 15
blondemoment
it does work like that ^

i can see this being interesting, both of us trying to keep their eyes on the other's left leg, thus making us run in 1 very small circle over and over and over...

lol....:p:
Icecradle

Rocsoc, altsoc (alternate music), the mermaids (drama - I auditioned for one... but didn't get the part :frown: so I helped out backstage in another production. I might try auditioning again this year), st mary's soc (divinity students pub crawls oh yes!)...

I've never managed to work this one out, what sort of music counts as alternative?
Reply 17
la_banane_verte
I've never managed to work this one out, what sort of music counts as alternative?

Ah the joys of blurred genres! Strictly speaking you could say any not-mainstream rock is considered alt. - but it doesn't work like that.

I think I would include any band that doesn't follow the "rules" and does weird things. REM is one that springs to mind.

Of course, then people call "alternative" rock as things like chili's, it really is weird. I don't really like the catagories as a good band creates their own - does not follow another.

ETA: This is what urban dictionary has to say about it http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=alternative+rock which again shows nobody really has any idea. Seeing as rock music is seen as the "alternative" to pop, I guess it could become a very big catagory very quickly.
Reply 18
In Wigan, we have a "collective" which is basially an organisation of music/bands that organises gigs, gets tips etc. etc. etc. - is there a similar society in St. Andrews? A society for performers/musicians?
Reply 19
that urban dictionary is kinda along the lines of how I'd define it. They play all sorts of other stuff as well, like modern reggae, indie music of all types... it was a really neat way of listening to music you normally wouldn't and then rushing up to the dj/band to find out what the hell that awesome track was. lol.

Latest

Trending

Trending