The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Ask a Fresher at Bath!

Hi!

My name is Mary and I have just finished my first year at the University of Bath studying Physics (with a Study Year Abroad).

If you have any questions about Fresher's Week, or what to bring to uni, or life in halls feel free to post a question below!

For our Confirmation and Clearing thread, see:

University of Bath Clearing and Adjustment 2014

Good luck on your results! Can't wait to hear from you!

Mary :smile:
Which events are better, the freshers campus ones or the ones in the city? :smile:
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Reply 2
Original post by mrsiglesias
Which events are better, the freshers campus ones or the ones in the city? :smile:

IMO the campus ones are far better, but their limited capacity means people miss out.
Hey there :smile:
The ones on Campus, do they require me to buy the Wristband as well?
And are the Wristbands events all basically just clubs? I'm kinda anti social, and not the clubbing type, so are there any other events that the Wristband will grant me entry into? I'm more into less "chaotic" events, something where I can meet new people without having to deal with dancing and booze :P
I am also not the clubbing type but figure 'when in uni' 😅 do I have to buy stuff before hand or can we get them as and when?

Also what to the halls provide or where can I find out what they provide (my bfs brothers halls didn't provide a kettle and I can't really do without 😓)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi mrsiglesias,

Last year the uni only organised events on campus so I only attended the ones on campus so I can't really make a comparison! But the ones on campus were amazing, especially the first night (it's always the best). Places in town have to be underground or hidden away due to planning laws ect. so they can be quite small. If in doubt do a mixture!

Hope this helps!

Original post by Exotic Cuisine
And are the Wristbands events all basically just clubs? I'm kinda anti social, and not the clubbing type, so are there any other events that the Wristband will grant me entry into? I'm more into less "chaotic" events, something where I can meet new people without having to deal with dancing and booze :P

Hi Exotic Cuisine,

Some campus events do require the wristband (for example the main event) but full details can be found here. The Main event on campus is, in my opinion, more like a massive party than a club (or it was last year). I'm not really the clubbing type either but I loved the main campus events. However there are alternative events. Last year there were also film nights, a pub quiz and more. Societies also run taster sessions and events in the first few weeks where you can meet people (you can sign up to them at the Freshers Fair). Finally a great way to meet people without alcohol is the daytime events! Last year there was a campus challenge day which had loads of challenges for you and your flatmates/hall mates. There was also a town tour and several BBQs.

For more information of Fresher's week click HERE.

Hope this helps!

Original post by summercoleman94
I am also not the clubbing type but figure 'when in uni' ������ do I have to buy stuff before hand or can we get them as and when?

Also what to the halls provide or where can I find out what they provide (my bfs brothers halls didn't provide a kettle and I can't really do without ������)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi summercoleman94,

By buy stuff do you mean for dressing up? Or the wristband? There are plenty of fancy dress shops in Bath so you can always get stuff there if you'd prefer to wait though most people bring things with them. If I were you I would check the Freshers 2014 webpage HERE.

You can find what your halls provide HERE. As far as I'm aware EVERY hall gets a kettle (harsh they didn't give your bfs brother one!). The only thing you'll have to buy as a flat is a toaster probably, but they sell second hand ones during freshers week. My flat got ours for £3 and it worked fine for the year :smile:. Linen wise I would suggest bringing your own, because it makes the room more comfortable however some halls do provide it, or you can pay a bit extra to have a linen and bedding pack there for when you arrive. More information on what to bring with you can be found HERE.

One good thing about using uni linen is that every other week you can exchange your dirty stuff for clean stuff :wink:

Hope this helps!

(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Hi Mary,

I'm currently putting a list together of things I need to take with me. Someone has suggested a dictaphone to record lectures. Is there any point as I know some unis record them anyway....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Alien41
Hi Mary,

I'm currently putting a list together of things I need to take with me. Someone has suggested a dictaphone to record lectures. Is there any point as I know some unis record them anyway....

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi Alien41,

It is true that some subjects record lectures (I had one lecturer do that). Some also give you the notes (most of mine did that) but it really depends on your subject. Some people bring dictaphones, but most of us take notes or record it on our laptops/take pictures of the powerpoint.

If you could tell me which subject your studying I may be able to give more advice on how the lecturers work!

Hope this helps!

Mary
Reply 10
Original post by University Of Bath
Hi Alien41,

It is true that some subjects record lectures (I had one lecturer do that). Some also give you the notes (most of mine did that) but it really depends on your subject. Some people bring dictaphones, but most of us take notes or record it on our laptops/take pictures of the powerpoint.

If you could tell me which subject your studying I may be able to give more advice on how the lecturers work!

Hope this helps!

Mary

I've got an offer for psychology :smile:
Original post by Alien41
I've got an offer for psychology :smile:

Hi,

For psychology each lecturer has a different style. Some of them fully record lectures, some put them online and a few give you nothing. I DO know that in the Summer it is more coursework rather than exams. This year the psychologists only had one Summer exam...and it was multiple choice! My suggestion would be to come to university and then decide whether or not a dictaphone is worth the money. Remember you can always share notes with friends so you're unlikely to ever miss anything in a lecture!

Hope this helps!

Reply 12
Original post by University Of Bath
Hi,

For psychology each lecturer has a different style. Some of them fully record lectures, some put them online and a few give you nothing. I DO know that in the Summer it is more coursework rather than exams. This year the psychologists only had one Summer exam...and it was multiple choice! My suggestion would be to come to university and then decide whether or not a dictaphone is worth the money. Remember you can always share notes with friends so you're unlikely to ever miss anything in a lecture!

Hope this helps!

Thanks, Mary :biggrin:
Original post by Exotic Cuisine

I'm also going to be a fresher, and am not the clubbing type. I'm planning to buy the select wristband, which is considerably cheaper, and provides entry into everything except the main event every night (basically the club). If you look on the freshers week website you will see that the select wristband will include entry to things like the murder mystery, comedy night, pizza and board games, ceilidh, quiz, salsa party, poker tournament, etc. You can buy tickets separately for the main events if there is one you fancy. That is my plan anyway!
What's the difference between the early bird, standard and final tickets? :smile:
What's the difference between the early bird, standard and final tickets? :smile:

Those tickets aren't anything to do with Bath uni, they are events run in town by an external company. They just have different prices to encourage people to buy early. Don't confuse these with the SU wristbands though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest