Balance Transfer Credit Card Watch

bhav777
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
So I'm currently a student with a job lined up to start in about a month's time. However, currently my finances are really restricted.

By the time I start work I will have maxed out my interest-free overdraft (due to direct debits due out) and I'm coming up to the end of my interest-free period for my current credit card.

So...I was thinking of getting a balance transfer credit card as a term of short-term lending until I've received a paycheck or two. I would transfer my exist credit card balance to that and use my existing credit card for essential purchases. Does that sound like a good idea?
Is that how balance transfer credit cards work?

I was thinking about getting this one (http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/redir/fca8039f), anything in particular I should be aware about?
balotelli12
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You won't get a credit card.
You aren't in full time employment.
bhav777
Rep:
?
(Original post by balotelli12)
1. I've already got a credit card.

2. I've spoke to Barclaycard and they said it's okay to put the salary that I am expected to receive soon.
samba
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yea it works.

I'm not in full time employment and have 12 cards or so.
donutaud15
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by bhav777)
So I'm currently a student with a job lined up to start in about a month's time. However, currently my finances are really restricted.

By the time I start work I will have maxed out my interest-free overdraft (due to direct debits due out) and I'm coming up to the end of my interest-free period for my current credit card.

So...I was thinking of getting a balance transfer credit card as a term of short-term lending until I've received a paycheck or two. I would transfer my exist credit card balance to that and use my existing credit card for essential purchases. Does that sound like a good idea?
Is that how balance transfer credit cards work?

I was thinking about getting this one (http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/redir/fca8039f), anything in particular I should be aware about?
Yes you can do that but be careful because it can lead to more problems. Essentially you'll be owing two credit cards after a month if you use your old one. Unless you can afford to clear it in a month or so you'll probably find you're having trouble managing the two cards.

Not true.

I've had 4 credit cards since I was 18 and not in full time employment. None of them were student ones either.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Alfissti
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by samba)
Yea it works.

I'm not in full time employment and have 12 cards or so.
12 cards?? :eek:

Why so many?
bhav777
Rep:
?
Great! So just to clarify, say I have two CCs:

CCC (current credit card) + BTCC (balance transfer credit card - http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/redir/fca8039f))

1. I'm thinking of transferring my current balance (say £350) to the BTCC.
2. Spending £200 on required expense (car etc...) on my CCC and transferring it to my BTCC within 30days.
3. Using my CCC as normal and pay it off completely every month.
4. Pay off majority of BTCC in October.
5. Pay any remaining balance on BTCC in November + cancel the BTCC.

Sensible?
samba
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Alfissti)
12 cards?? :eek:

Why so many?
Dunno, it wasn't an exact estimate! They do tend to mount up though as you get them for some deal or other and they just sit there. Only really use duo avios/NatWest black on a regular basis though. (So 2)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (6)
54.55%
No I haven't decided yet (3)
27.27%
Yes but I might change my mind (2)
18.18%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed