The Student Room Group

AS points, bad phone people and lack of updates

Situation - Flopped a bit and I've got CCD + an E in AS which adds up to 240 points, which is just what I need for my insurance choice. I've always presumed they'd include the AS as 'from GCE A Levels' sounds like they do, especially since other unis were more specific when they wanted just A2 grades.

Since it was unclear, and UCAS has not updated the insurance choice at all, I rang UCAS and they blamed the uni and said they should sort it out as it isn't UCAS' fault. Half an hour later, I get through to said uni and they basically told me that it was UCAS being slow on the update. So they're blaming each other whilst not doing anything, meanwhile Clearing is on the horizon so the longer I wait, the worse it gets.

So I've come here. Do I wait for UCAS to update? Or ring someone and play the blame game? Or do I not get that far and AS points don't actually count.
Reply 1
Original post by B4E
Situation - Flopped a bit and I've got CCD + an E in AS which adds up to 240 points, which is just what I need for my insurance choice. I've always presumed they'd include the AS as 'from GCE A Levels' sounds like they do, especially since other unis were more specific when they wanted just A2 grades.

Since it was unclear, and UCAS has not updated the insurance choice at all, I rang UCAS and they blamed the uni and said they should sort it out as it isn't UCAS' fault. Half an hour later, I get through to said uni and they basically told me that it was UCAS being slow on the update. So they're blaming each other whilst not doing anything, meanwhile Clearing is on the horizon so the longer I wait, the worse it gets.

So I've come here. Do I wait for UCAS to update? Or ring someone and play the blame game? Or do I not get that far and AS points don't actually count.
If your insurance has said they will reject you, you can start ringing round unis in Clearing now telling them that, and that you will have your Clearing number soon. Your AS level can count towards your points total if the uni concerned accepts it - some do and some don't.
Original post by B4E

Clarify the situation with the university - UCAS is just a messenger. Get the admissions team to confirm whether they will include your AS and therefore whether you have met the offer. If you have, congrats :smile: UCAS will update in due course.

You can ring round some Clearing unis as a back up, but many will tell you they can't officially speak to you about places until you're in Clearing, which you aren't until you've been rejected.
Original post by B4E

An AS level is not a "GCE A level", so your insurance choice could still interpret your grades as missing the offer. Have you asked them if they're accepting or rejecting you? They might still take you, in which case you don't need to worry about Clearing.
Original post by B4E

UCAS are right - they just sit in the middle and send to Track whatever universities tell them.

Did your insurance say that they were accepting you or rejecting you? If so then eventually that will trickle through to Track.

If they said you're rejected then you can start calling universities about Clearing - although Track is a bit laggy on results day (to cope with demand) universities can see the live version so if you're in clearing they can see your application (even if it does not yet show on Track)
Reply 5
B4E
OP
Original post by Minerva
If your insurance has said they will reject you, you can start ringing round unis in Clearing now telling them that, and that you will have your Clearing number soon. Your AS level can count towards your points total if the uni concerned accepts it - some do and some don't.

Thanks for the replies.

They didn't say they will reject me, I explained the whole thing and the exact quote was 'if you've got enough points then you should be successful and you just have to wait for Track to update', making sure she dodged the whole question about AS points and diverting attention onto the update.

Trying to get through to them again so I can be persistent about the AS points thing.
Reply 6
Original post by B4E
Thanks for the replies.

They didn't say they will reject me, I explained the whole thing and the exact quote was 'if you've got enough points then you should be successful and you just have to wait for Track to update', making sure she dodged the whole question about AS points and diverting attention onto the update.

Trying to get through to them again so I can be persistent about the AS points thing.
Yes, you do need them to be clear about that! Good luck :smile:
Reply 7
B4E
OP
Ok, so just got through again and it seems to me all they had access to is what I have access to. She literally said just keep checking Track and when I asked about AS points, she didn't know. I asked how long should I expect to wait, she didn't know. I asked could I expect an update today, she said she doesn't know. Today! Going to try the 'Confirmation' number instead of the Admissions number.
Original post by B4E
Ok, so just got through again and it seems to me all they had access to is what I have access to. She literally said just keep checking Track and when I asked about AS points, she didn't know. I asked how long should I expect to wait, she didn't know. I asked could I expect an update today, she said she doesn't know. Today! Going to try the 'Confirmation' number instead of the Admissions number.

Worth a shot.

If you get the same answers then ask to be put through to their manager and ask the manager to put you through to someone who actually knows what is happening with your application.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending