Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Out of these, what is the most respected at A-Level:
    Eng Lang
    Eng Lit
    Eng Lang & Lit combined

ReputationRep:
    Lit. It's more traditional, and some of the more snobbish colleges/sixth forms don't offer Language because it's not so prestigious, as it were.

But Lit is dull as and Language is easily the most interesting subject in the world, ever (OK, opinion seeping in there..), so balls to all that.

English Language Love <3

ReputationRep:
    what about english combined - is that respected?

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, I don't know. If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say no, because the combined subject might be 'watered down' due to the combination, if you get what I mean. But don't take that to be the gospel truth, as I really have no idea.

You could ask a teacher, but if they teach that subject they may play up the benefits a bit more. Or get offended...

Why do you want to know what's more respectable? Is it thinking ahead to a particular uni course, or just in general?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hayley...)
    To be honest, I don't know. If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say no, because the combined subject might be 'watered down' due to the combination, if you get what I mean. But don't take that to be the gospel truth, as I really have no idea.

You could ask a teacher, but if they teach that subject they may play up the benefits a bit more. Or get offended...

Why do you want to know what's more respectable? Is it thinking ahead to a particular uni course, or just in general?
    Depends where you go. Some unis regard the lang and lit combo to be the harder option. The only place that I know of that dont like it is Warwick who wont accept entry onto their lit course with lang or lang&lit combined at A Level, although this is a recent development by them anyway. I did lang lit combined and Warwick didnt specify that they took lit only students when I did my course.
    If you are interested in taking lang modules at uni then its definitely in my opinion worth doing the combined course, or not doing an english degree but you want to do lang for the interest. i think its a waste of a choice to do full lit and full lang A Levels. However if you know for sure that you only want to study lit at degree level then maybe it would be better to study straight lit. I'd start looking at university entry requirements.

ReputationRep:
    If I am appying for an unrelated course (e.g Law) will it affect my chances if I do Eng Lang & Lit as opposed to someone who does Lit?

ReputationRep:
    Not at all as far as I know. I'm doing law and have never experiened any problems. Its regarded as a pretty solid subject to my knowledge but then again my knowledge is limited to old stylee A Levels so I cant be 100% sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DavidBrent)
    If I am appying for an unrelated course (e.g Law) will it affect my chances if I do Eng Lang & Lit as opposed to someone who does Lit?
    I've seen that confirmed around the forum in the past. Some top unis don't like it, I seem to remember..

:confused:

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.