The Student Room Group

HELP! Bad AS grades...

Hiya,
I got my AS grades a while ago, and I've been severely depressed since. I got a CCDD, which was really a shock because I'm a really good student and got REALLY good grades on my GCSE's!
C- Bio
C- Class Civ
D- Chem
D- Latin
(All OCR)
Now, I know I'll be doing retakes in january, but I need advice on which ones to retake and how I choose which module. Also, I'm dropping Latin for A2, so should I retake my latin modules? Or is there no point? And will my really bad grades affect university offers?

And also I get confused about how AS levels and A2's are added up together... if someone could explain that, that would be brilliant. Thanks!

M x x x x x :'(
I would say dont retake latin but retake at least a module in each of the others then you wont have to tell the universities what you got as you dont have your final grade. Your going to have to beg your teachers to give you decent predictive grades. AS and A2 are evenly balanced so if you want to do well your going to have to work your ass off.
Reply 2
Just to explain AS + A2. Your AS year makes up 50% of your overall grade, your mark will be out of 300 with an A at 240, B at 210 and so on. The A2 year is another 300 points and the UMS score from both years is added to calculate your overall score. So 480/600 would be an A overall. A standalone AS is worth exactly half a full A Level, so on the UCAS scale an A is 120 at A2 but only 60 at AS.
Reply 3
Look at each subjects seperatly and the modules in which you took. Then look at what grades you achieved in each module and that is the best way to decide which one to retake. For instance you may have managed to get varying grades in the three modules you took, one may be good and the other two appaling, in which case you should retake the bad ones. Bare in mind do not overestimate how many retakes you can do in january. It's unrealistic to do all yur retakes in January as you'l be boged down with so much work you may d no better than you did in the first place, so space it out over jan and summer :smile:
Reply 4
It depends on how competitive the course you want to apply for is but they also look at your GCSEs, predicted grades and personal statement when deciding whether or not to make an offer.

If you're worried about the grades then try to do a brilliant personal statement as (well according to my old tutor) the universities read them very thoroughly.

Good luck with the retakes!
Reply 5
wow, thanks guys!
been a big help... *sigh* now only to get the grades...

x x x x x x
Do you know what you want to do at uni and where? Looking at typical offers will give you an idea of the sort of grades you need to ask your teachers to predict you and then obviously get, so that should help you decide how many resits to do. Other than personal pride :p: there's really no reason to resit Latin and you don't want to overload yourself because it will be hard enough getting your other grades up. Some admissions tutors actually look at GCSEs more than ASs because they're apparently a better indicator of how students will perform at uni and they realise that not everyone will have reached their full potential halfway through the course, so great GCSEs will definitely help, as will a good personal statement and reference. You could actually decline your AS grades so unis will only see your A-level predictions. If you decide to resit Latin, you'll have to decline it because you're not continuing with it.
Reply 7
how do u decline an as grade? is that something you would do through your tutor at college or something? is there a deadline?
katkatkat
how do u decline an as grade? is that something you would do through your tutor at college or something? is there a deadline?

You need to speak to your exams officer. I think the deadline is 20th September.

Latest

Trending

Trending