ChloeBelle
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi guys . So I'm all set up to study Journalism at Kingston Uni, but now I've decided that my true passion lies with Performing Arts, particularly Musical Theatre, which would mean being released by Kingston and finding a course through clearing. Does anyone know how universities allocate clearing spaces in regards to Performing Arts courses, ie. without auditions? I've found two courses in particular that I'm interested in: Musical Theatre at University of West London and Performing Arts at Anglia Ruskin. Any knowledge of the credibility or worth of these courses, or the acting:singing ratio? I'm also not overly keen on the whole OTT 'pretend to be a flower' rubbish that drama schools often spew, is physical theatre prominent in these courses?

My results were ABC, by the way.

Thanks!

Chloe xxx
University of Lincoln
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ChloeBelle)
Hi guys . So I'm all set up to study Journalism at Kingston Uni, but now I've decided that my true passion lies with Performing Arts, particularly Musical Theatre, which would mean being released by Kingston and finding a course through clearing. Does anyone know how universities allocate clearing spaces in regards to Performing Arts courses, ie. without auditions? I've found two courses in particular that I'm interested in: Musical Theatre at University of West London and Performing Arts at Anglia Ruskin. Any knowledge of the credibility or worth of these courses, or the acting:singing ratio? I'm also not overly keen on the whole OTT 'pretend to be a flower' rubbish that drama schools often spew, is physical theatre prominent in these courses?

Thanks!

Chloe xxx
Hi Chloe,

Congratulations on your results! We have a list of all our courses available with clearing positions here. We have a selection of performing arts courses and our drama course includes musical elements. If your interested in one of our courses and you have the correct entry requirements. Call our clearing hotline on 01522 886622.

Hope that helps

Reece
(Student Ambassador - Undergraduate Biomedical Science, Postgraduate Marketing)
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you actually want to work in the theatre as a professional performer then bear in mind that Uni courses are foremost academic courses and are not designed as training courses in practical skills. For that you really need to go to a Drama School - the best course in the country is Musical Theatre at Guildford School of Acting (degrees awarded by Uni of Surrey) : http://gsauk.org/courses/undergradua...sical-theatre/

With a big change of heart like this, its often a better solution to step back and apply in October. You will be able to think this out carefully, prepare for auditions and stand the best chance of getting a place somewhere worthwhile (ie. not Lincoln).
Kingston University
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ChloeBelle)

Thanks!

Chloe xxx
Hi Chloe
Firstly well done on your results. I think I saw a post from you earlier today or yesterday where you were worried you had done badly. Glad this was not the case

In terms of your post above - great news that you got your place you applied for, but obviously not so great that you are now having second thoughts. However, I would say it is important that if you do not think you would be happy studying Journalism then certainly look to see if you can find a course you would be more happy studying. It is three or more years of your life and if you do not think you will be happy then better to act now than to start a course you later drop out of.

With your grades it might be worth looking at our Drama course as if you like the sound of it you might be able to call our hotline (0844 842 9599) and see if there is any chance you can transfer onto that course instead. Journalism and Drama are in the same faculty which will work in your favour. You might even want to consider a joint course...

In the mean time - I have put some links below to some students that are currently on / or who have just finished the drama course here at Kingston. See what they have to say about the course! Ben Kareena sara ann soroya

Also you may be interested to know - especially if your interest is musical theatre - Frank Whatley teaches on the course and has written and directed a variety of productions, many for the National Youth Music Theatre. These have been performed in many leading theatres, in the West End and on Broadway. He has won several awards and his work has been broadcast on radio and television.

Good luck with what ever you decide to do, hopefully we will see you here in September, but if not, I hope you enjoy where-ever you end up.
Kind regards
Kerrie
CTAPerforming
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well done on your results, Chloe!

Instead of going through clearing, another option that might be suitable for you is to apply for a foundation course.

This will give you the chance to build strong techniques in all three disciplines, whilst preparing you to audition at a full-time performing arts vocational course next year.

Many of our students, for example, have used our accredited musical theatre course as a stepping stone to attain entry to schools such as Mountview, Urdang, Arts Ed, LIP, Drama Studio London, AMDA and Tech Music School.

Good luck with everything!

If you are interested in studying a foundation course first of all, do take a look at our website for more information - http://www.cta-performing-arts-londo...theatre-course

We are still accepting applicants for our course starting this September. If you have any questions, drop me an email at [email protected]

Paul Allnutt
Course Director, CTA Performing Arts
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Has your university offer been reduced?